Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Seriously?!

I would say there is more to that story. The media are notorious for being alarmist, especially US media, and the attached link provides little insight beyond the two failed diet attempts and the child's health issues. I do not see any of us being in a position to judge with only what we read on the links available, especially the linked opinion piece. While he may not have had PW syndrome, he was clearly at serious risk with other health complications.

The grehlin hormone was discovered when PW was being researched so I do tend to think that the sleeve is a valid option for child sufferers. Once ethics around this are determined and it is seen that the surgery would do more good than harm, then it becomes clear that this could be an option for other life threatening ailments.

. They were so loose with his diet and eating habits that he grew to this size' date=' how are they going to manage to maintain an even stricter diet? And I shudder to think what this will do in terms of retarding his growth

[/quote']

A web search has shown that the surgery on the two year old occurred two years ago, he has been followed since and is now a healthy weight four year old and growing normally.

I would say there is more to that story. The media are notorious for being alarmist' date=' especially US media, and the attached link provides little insight beyond the two failed diet attempts and the child's health issues. I do not see any of us being in a position to judge with only what we read on the links available, especially the linked opinion piece. While he may not have had PW syndrome, he was clearly at serious risk with other health complications. The grehlin hormone was discovered when PW was being researched so I do tend to think that the sleeve is a valid option for child sufferers. Once ethics around this are determined and it is seen that the surgery would do more good than harm, then it becomes clear that this could be an option for other life threatening ailments.[/quote']

But still, subjecting a child of 2 years old who is suffering from obesity simply because his parents were incompetent, and giving him a life altering surgery that could easily have killed him? I just think it's wrong. I couldn't do it. Not knowing the risks and knowing that as a parent all I would have to do is start parenting better to fix the problem. In my opinion, taking the time to teach him healthy eating habits and exercise routines is a much safer and logical option than removing 85% of a toddler's stomach.

But still' date=' subjecting a child of 2 years old who is suffering from obesity simply because his parents were incompetent, and giving him a life altering surgery that could easily have killed him? I just think it's wrong. I couldn't do it. Not knowing the risks and knowing that as a parent all I would have to do is start parenting better to fix the problem. In my opinion, taking the time to teach him healthy eating habits and exercise routines is a much safer and logical option than removing 85% of a toddler's stomach.[/quote']

But we don't know if his parents were incompetent. That is an assumption. What we do know from the medical article published is that the chances of this toddler dying or being permanently damaged as a result of his morbid obesity. The article indicates he really didn't have 'time' and that he had a life threatening situation.

I was incompetent with my own diet for most of my adult life. I hate to think about what bad habits and poor body image issues I have passed on to my now adult children. I know now why I failed, but believe you me I tried and tried and tried to lose the weight. For all we know these parents were no different and this kid got that, plus genetics, and plus some health issues. What was the alternative? Have him die? Have him removed from their care and placed with strangers who may or,ay not be ale to manage his obesity? Have him permanently harmed physically, emotionally, and psychologically?

I guess I can see this was no easy decision for the parents or the medical professionals involved but that in weighing up the risks and the harm vs benefits perhaps this was the best path to take. After all, he is now a healthy and normal 4 year old. Their decision appears to have worked.

But we don't know if his parents were incompetent. That is an assumption. What we do know from the medical article published is that the chances of this toddler dying or being permanently damaged as a result of his morbid obesity. The article indicates he really didn't have 'time' and that he had a life threatening situation. I was incompetent with my own diet for most of my adult life. I hate to think about what bad habits and poor body image issues I have passed on to my now adult children. I know now why I failed' date=' but believe you me I tried and tried and tried to lose the weight. For all we know these parents were no different and this kid got that, plus genetics, and plus some health issues. What was the alternative? Have him die? Have him removed from their care and placed with strangers who may or,ay not be ale to manage his obesity? Have him permanently harmed physically, emotionally, and psychologically? I guess I can see this was no easy decision for the parents or the medical professionals involved but that in weighing up the risks and the harm vs benefits perhaps this was the best path to take. After all, he is now a healthy and normal 4 year old. Their decision appears to have worked.[/quote']

We know from the interview with the parents, they stated it was a case of over feeding.

We know from the interview with the parents' date=' they stated it was a case of over feeding.[/quote']

What interview with the parents? I found no comment from them at all and only minimal reference to them in the cited medical article that led to most media reports.

Link, please?