Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been having problems sleeping off and on for a while now. I fall asleep just fine, but I can't stay asleep. I usually wake up around 4am, around 1.5 - 2 hours before my alarm goes off, depending on the day. If I'm lucky enough to eventually fall back to sleep after that, it's minutes before my alarm goes off. On a good night I get 6 hours of sleep, but most nights I'm averaging about 4.5 (I use a BodyMedia, so it gives me an accurate measurement of my sleep). I try to get to bed by 10pm, but sometimes it's as late as 11pm.

I exercise regularly, don't wake up because I have to use the bathroom, have a comfy bed, quiet/dark room, no TV on. I really don't like taking anything to sleep because it's so hard to get up in the morning; I really have a strong reaction to sleep meds - they put me to sleep immediately and I stay there for 12 hours!

Anyone else experiencing this, or have any suggestions?

BTW, I'm 4.5 months post-op.

I cannot seem to sleep as much either, still trying to adjust. I wake up early morning and can not go back to sleep. Very frustrating!

Wow so glad to see this! I cannot seem to fall asleep and sleep through the night either. I took TWO melatonin last night because one didn't do the trick a few nights ago--and still couldn't sleep. I have tried and true tricks to fall asleep and nothing is working. And then I have trouble waking up. I have no idea why. I'm wondering if perhaps my thyroid dose needs to be reduced again, but other than that, I'm clueless why the sudden insomnia. Hope someone has an answer.

Yes! I'm getting maybe four to six hours a night. Pre surgery it was 8-9. I take melatonin too but it doesn't help. I have trouble falling asleep and trouble getting up. It doesn't help that 3 days a week I have to get up at 4:30 to work at a clients then 2 days a week I'm up at 6:00 to be at my regular office. I'm also fighting with my CPAP machine, which wakes me up every hour. By the time the weekend hits I'm exhausted. :-(

Me too. I have a hard time sleeping 8 hours. I am tired but can't sleep. It takes quite a ritual before bed to fall asleep. Reading,water,Sleepytime Extra tea, Benedryl,.... Then if all goes well I sleep from 10-2 then off and on until 5 when I get up for work. The bed just doesn't fell comfy. I am swimming 3-4 Xa week and working 40 hours / wk. so I should be tired. I am 3 months out. My body is still adjusting I guess.

Okay I am going to be (almost) completely blunt about this. I had this problem before surgery, but it has definitely gotten worse after. I have found one sure-fire method that puts me right back to sleep and keeps me there until it's really time to wake up. Let's just say that how you might achieve this will vary depending on what's available and pleasing to you -- a partner, a toy, your hand, etc. It works for me anyway ;)

Okay I am going to be (almost) completely blunt about this. I had this problem before surgery' date=' but it has definitely gotten worse after. I have found one sure-fire method that puts me right back to sleep and keeps me there until it's really time to wake up. Let's just say that how you might achieve this will vary depending on what's available and pleasing to you -- a partner, a toy, your hand, etc. It works for me anyway ;)[/quote']

I'm working that angle regularly :) but still no sleep

Okay I am going to be (almost) completely blunt about this. I had this problem before surgery' date=' but it has definitely gotten worse after. I have found one sure-fire method that puts me right back to sleep and keeps me there until it's really time to wake up. Let's just say that how you might achieve this will vary depending on what's available and pleasing to you -- a partner, a toy, your hand, etc. It works for me anyway ;)[/quote']

Unfortunately, I'm one of those who finds it energizing :)

I don't get on VST until bedtime and it puts me to sleep! Lol!

Kidding, sort of.

Caffeine was my vice via soda prior to surgery. I averaged 5-6 hrs sleep a night.

I really thought that would change once I ditched caffeine. It did not.

Once I go to sleep, I'm okay, but man, getting there takes forever. Currently 12:25am...

Oh gosh..thought it was just me but guess not... Ever sincesurgery i have been in bed at 10pm and then wake anywhere between 130 and 330 am. From that point on i struggle to go back to sleep...grrr!! See currently 315 am asi type this!!!

Wow, I wasn't really expecting much of a response, but it seems like a lot of people have this problem post-op! I Googled "insomnia post wls surgery" and a bunch of stuff came up. Time to start researching! I'm also seeing my NUT today, so going to ask her if she's heard of this & if there's anything I can change with my diet.

I find it interesting that we all feel exhausted, but still can't sleep. I did get almost 7 hours last night, and although I can definitely tell a difference between that and the nights I only get 4 or 5, I was still tired this morning. It was really nice not to wake up at 4am & lay there for hours, though!

Does anyone take any homeopathic or natural sleep aids? Or have some other thing that helps you get to sleep (aside from Bufflehead's suggestion :) )?

I'm thinking of trying meditation...

I had issues sleeping before surgery. I just attributed it to nerves. Bust since getting sleeved on 8/27/13 I have had an even worse time with sleeping. I am jot going to lie I have taken up to 12 over the counter sleeping aides at one time to try to get to sleep. Needless to say it didn't work. Masturbating doesn't help it energizes me also. I am so exhausted. I take ky son to school at 7:45am and when I get home at 8 am I lay down I fall asleep but only for a few hours and don't feel all that rested. My hubby says I need to stop laying down in the am cause it is throwing off ky sleep. I slept 2 1/2 hrs on Sunday got up at 7 took son to school, went ant walked 3 miles, played son rec soccer for 1/2 hr, went Apple picking, then corn maze, then got son from school went to store got stuff for his project, helped with his homework, cooked dinner, help do his project for 3 hrs, took a shower, and now still laying in bed wide awake... NEED HELP!!! SLEEP NEEDED

Nice to know I have company! I've been waking up anywhere between 2:00 - 4:00 am every day for the past four years. I slept all night for the first week post op and then back to being up 2:00 - 4:00 am! It's strange how it's around the same time every night . I'm so tired!

I had issues sleeping before surgery. I just attributed it to nerves. Bust since getting sleeved on 8/27/13 I have had an even worse time with sleeping. I am jot going to lie I have taken up to 12 over the counter sleeping aides at one time to try to get to sleep. Needless to say it didn't work. Masturbating doesn't help it energizes me also. I am so exhausted. I take ky son to school at 7:45am and when I get home at 8 am I lay down I fall asleep but only for a few hours and don't feel all that rested. My hubby says I need to stop laying down in the am cause it is throwing off ky sleep. I slept 2 1/2 hrs on Sunday got up at 7 took son to school' date=' went ant walked 3 miles, played son rec soccer for 1/2 hr, went Apple picking, then corn maze, then got son from school went to store got stuff for his project, helped with his homework, cooked dinner, help do his project for 3 hrs, took a shower, and now still laying in bed wide awake... NEED HELP!!! SLEEP NEEDED[/quote']

How's your caffeine intake? I find if I get too much caffeine it affects me way more than it used to.

Something a bit more natural and a bit alternative?

Pure essential oils dripped on your pillow or placed in a Water burner: Lavender and the heavy hitter Clary Sage.

Or, alternatively; nice hot bath, drip some of those in and you'll feel like you've taken a shot of opium!

Well, I do!