Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I may have goofed big time - need passport card help etc

Hey everyone

Well good grief I seem to go from one drama to the next. I don't know if anyone has any ideas and advice but I'm all ears right now. I have been going through the citizenship process (I am a Brit by the way) and yesterday had my final test and interview and was approved to become a citizen and am now just waiting for my ceremony etc. BUT what I didn't realize was they told me yesterday that I could not leave the country without a US passport. At the time it didn't even sink in, but the penny just dropped that I am leaving the country in 2 weeks and five days !! for surgery in Mexico October 5th

So I am wondering if a passport card is easier to get ? - I don't know what I need as far as paperwork because I don't have anything that says I'm a citizen yet (not sure if I legally become a citizen at the ceremony)

I know this is all terribly convoluted but please if you have any insight into this then let me know !!

I will be calling around tomorrow but would love to hear anything useful tonight !!

Cheers

As a born citizen I know we have had individuals at my work go to passport offices around the country, Chicago for the mid west and they were able to expedite a passport in a day by paying extra fees. My last experience with this was like 5 years ago so I don't know if it's still possible.

You need to go the state department web site read down to the bottom of the page where it says if you need your documents withing 4 weeks and go from there.

Good Luck

If you are flying you will need a passport, if driving, there is a little more wiggle room.

Wonder why you can't use your UK passport? Do you have dual citizenship?

As a born citizen I know we have had individuals at my work go to passport offices around the country, Chicago for the mid west and they were able to expedite a passport in a day by paying extra fees. My last experience with this was like 5 years ago so I don't know if it's still possible.

You need to go the state department web site read down to the bottom of the page where it says if you need your documents withing 4 weeks and go from there.

Good Luck

Thank you so much - excellent advice. I will definitely do that. I have an appointment tomorrow with immigration to see if they can either expedite my citizenship certificate or just let me use my British passport for this one trip. I've calmed down a lot today when i realized hey, I can always re-schedule. Yes I'll pay fees to the airline etc but I'm not gonna grow an ulcer over it. Thanks a bunch for the great advice - much appreciated - cheers !

Wonder why you can't use your UK passport? Do you have dual citizenship?

That is a GREAT point and one that I went over in my mind. I plan to ask this question tomorrow as I am meeting with an immigration officer to see if they will let me do that. As for dual citizenship, yes I basically do have that so I'm hoping they will make an allowance for me as it would be infinitely easier to just use my nice current British passport for a little five night trip to Mexico. Fingers crossed ! and thanks a million for the ideas !!

That is a GREAT point and one that I went over in my mind. I plan to ask this question tomorrow as I am meeting with an immigration officer to see if they will let me do that. As for dual citizenship' date=' yes I basically do have that so I'm hoping they will make an allowance for me as it would be infinitely easier to just use my nice current British passport for a little five night trip to Mexico. Fingers crossed ! and thanks a million for the ideas !![/quote']

Leslie, you will not become a US Citizen until your oath ceremony, at this time you will receive your naturalization certificate and be able to apply for your passport.. The reason they told you you can't travel is because all US citizens must exit and enter the US on a US passport, as the US does not recognize dual citizenship you would have to use your US passport. Secondly, when you naturalize they will take away your green card so you will not be able to enter on your UK passport without your green card..

I hope this all works out for you, if anything I would just postpone your naturalization ceremony until you return from Mexico... I am a dual UK/US citizen with lots of immigration experience from working with the US Embassy in London.

Phillygal64 - you get first prize for a correct answer and thank you so much. I went to uscis yesterday and that is exactly what they told me. They said my ceremony wouldn't be till November so I was good to go on UK passport till then. HUGE relief ! Thank you to everyone who posted ideas and advice - much appreciated