Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

worries about after surgery

My sleeve is looking alot like christmas lol. It should be the second or third week of December. I live in San Antonio, with my two daughters (8 &6) and my fiance and thats it we don't have any other family here. To start off I don't have a good support team anyway besides him and his mother really. His mom lives 5 hours away. So my biggest worry is after surgery. Yes he will be here but with his job he will only be able to take off surgery day and maybe to bring me homre the next day. So I have no idea what I will do. I did just recently have my gallbladder taken out and I handled that pretty good on my own. But I just have no idea what or if I will need assistance in taking care of myself. His mom is going to see if work will allow her to take off. But with it being sooo close to Christmas who knows if she will even be able to. Any suggestions or words of encouragement. I'm a hairdresser and one of my great clients told me she would come check in on me if need be. I'm actually considering it.

Reach out to your babysitters and see if any have time to come over and stay all day as a "mothers helper" for a reduced rate. They won't provide medical care but they can keep the kids off your back which is worth a million bucks when you dont feel your best!

Well I honestly don't have a babysitter even. I guess in a way I'm blessed to be able to work a schedule that goes with my daughter's schedule. And days that I do stay late my neighbor will keep my girls for me. But I feel kinda awkward asking my neighbor to come take care of me. I guess my question is do I have to have someone? Will I be able to handle it on my own?

My mom flew in to take "care of me" and was only in town while I was in the hospital. I don't have kids, so I was only "feeding" myself my liquids. However, I came home on a Wed, and she went shopping when I took a nap. She flew out very early Thursday morning. I drove myself to a doctor appointment on Friday. It took me a little longer (a lot?) to get ready than I was anticipating, but by Monday I was bored! So, remember everyone is different, plan some meals for the kids and some stuff to keep them occupied that doesn't involve you, and don't worry too much. You won't need much taking care of.

Also - I ended up needing a ride to the doctor a week later because of a med interaction problem, and I called a quilting buddy. It killed me to ask for help, but they were glad to pitch in.

Good luck!

My sleeve is looking alot like christmas lol. It should be the second or third week of December. I live in San Antonio, with my two daughters (8 &6) and my fiance and thats it we don't have any other family here. To start off I don't have a good support team anyway besides him and his mother really. His mom lives 5 hours away. So my biggest worry is after surgery. Yes he will be here but with his job he will only be able to take off surgery day and maybe to bring me homre the next day. So I have no idea what I will do. I did just recently have my gallbladder taken out and I handled that pretty good on my own. But I just have no idea what or if I will need assistance in taking care of myself. His mom is going to see if work will allow her to take off. But with it being sooo close to Christmas who knows if she will even be able to. Any suggestions or words of encouragement. I'm a hairdresser and one of my great clients told me she would come check in on me if need be. I'm actually considering it.

I had my gallbladder out the month before I was sleeved, Dec. 12 of last year. The recovery was very similar. I tried to get the bulk of my Christmas prep done before surgery so I didn't' have to worry about it. I live alone, and prepped my place so I wouldn't have to do any heavy lifting/reaching for a few weeks. All in all, almost identical to the gall bladder recovery.

Good luck.

I had my mom with me for 2 weeks but I could have managed on my own with the kids (mine are 7 and 18months). I was driving after the first few days. I was not 100% for the first couple of weeks but the worst days were in the first week (days 2-4 were pretty rough). I would just get tired really fast and needed a nap in the afternoon. By the 2nd week I was out shopping and even went to the waterpark with the kids for 2 hours. As long as your fiance will be there some to help I think you will be fine. As far as the incision, and pain it will be like gallbladder surgery. But not having many calories (which means no energy) trying to drink my fluids and not sleeping well is what I remember being the worst part. Good luck to you!

The first few days i had no energy and just wanted to sleep. So I see your biggest problem being feeding the kids and making sure you have all you need to drink (water/protein). My advice would be to make sure you have things they can easily pop in the microwave, pull out of the fridge (sandwhiches) or will just take you a few mins to prepare. Otherwise, as long as all goes well, you shouldnt need too much help for yourself (nothing that your kids couldnt help with, ya know). Good luck!

Thank you all. My daughter's are both very helpful and the 8 year old does know how to work the microwave. I am lucky to hsve such well behaved and loving helpful girls. They would come check on me after my gallbladder surgery. Plus the fiance will be home by 530 every day so dinner for them won't be an issue and they will still be in school which the bus will pick them up and drop them off. So no worries about that. So I guess I will be able to make it ok by myself if need be.

My recovery was similar to having my gallbladder out. Just remember to take it easy... And that 8 yr olds can load a washing machine. ;)

I came home, picked up my 3 yo from the sitter, and watched cartoons. Everyday since on the weekdays it's her and I. The great thing with your children's age is they can get little things from the fridge, potty themselves, and even relax with you! I think you'll do great.

I have a four year old and pretty much NO ONE to help me once I come home. Sure, I have a nephew down the street who will be able to pop in from time to time, and I am sure one of my friends will be over too. But once I am home it will be pretty much all me. Luckily my daughter will be staying a few days with her sitter ( who is like family) while I am in the hospital, and possibly a day or two once I am released. My other big concern is my dogs. In a lot of ways they are harder to care for that my daughter!! LOL But I am not sweating it. I got through C section recovery by myself for the most part ( with an infant to care for) and two DVTs/ PEs that included hospitalization and weeks of down time. This will just be another thing I will get through!!!

OK I hate to be the one to bring up the gross stuff but on a liquid diet I was a mess. Like having a bowel movement ever few hours of liquid and I couldn't wipe myself. No matter how hard I tried I was unable to do so. Other than that I would have been able to care for myself. I switched from morphine to Tylenol the day of surgery since I hate the way drugs make me feel. So as long as you are able to wipe....you will probably be good to go!