Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those of you who've already been sleeved in TJ...

Did you really have to bring your own gauze bandages, bactine and paper tape?

Did you have to bring soap and washcloths for Mi Doctor Hospital? Or do we even get to shower at the hospital?

Should we bring our own bottled Water? I hear the Marriott only gives 2 bottles a day.

What else are you really glad you brought?

Anything you would have left at home?

Thanks in advance :-)

In my case I did not have to bring any dressing supplies for my wounds. I did however purchase American bottled Water to have on hand at the hotel to drink and brush my teeth. There is soap and Shampoo, and wash cloths available at the hotel. I brought my own shampoo and conditioner because I like my hair bouncing and behaving. If y'all know what I am saying Honestly, I packed the things I would normally take along for any other trip. Just don't over pack because you are going to be lugging a suitcase or duffel bag through the airport and you will have a weight restriction on how much you will be allowed to lift. Just something to keep in mind.

Sorry, I forgot. I got a list of suggested items to bring a long like a heating pad and I dutifully packed it and I never used it.

I wouldn't have needed anything at all... not even a dressing gown. BUT I was at Hospital Angeles with Dr Rodriguez... It was an amazing experience. I stayed at the hospital almost three days. No recovery house or hotel.... just home sweet home....:) My little pillow helped on the flight home. I'm doing amazingly well... my incisions are almost totally gone. I feel super and am eating beyond expectation....just very tiny amounts. Good luck in your journey....My sleeve was 8/21/13

I was sleeved there 5 days ago. On the morning after your surgery they come in and ask if you want to shower. There was soap provided and each room has its own attached bathroom with sink, toilet and shower. After your shower they will ask if you want to put your own clothes on or a clean gown. I brought a cotton, soft nightgown and a bathrobe and crocs for my feet and changed into these. The nurse will come in and change your dressings after the shower. Basically all you will care about is getting up to walk periodically, sucking on ice chips, and sleeping. I was VERY proactive in asking for the pain and nausea medications in my IV every time I woke up, as walking made me nauseated. Some people wished they had brought their own pillow because the pillows are very firm and the first night you cannot sleep on your side due to pain. I just slept without a pillow. I had my Gas X strips next to the bed and took them often. I brought an extension cord and kept my IPad plugged in on the tray table. The call button for the nurse is NOT the one on the side rail, it is a separate blue button attached by a blue cord.

I brought a sippy cup for drinking Water and this was useful mainly back at the Marriott. I also brought a hot beverage cup with lid Thad I used for the broth at the Marriott. Some people brought a heating pad, but I didn't and didn't need one.

Basically, you feel like dog meat the first night and day, then on the second night you can sleep on your side and are much more comfortable and on the second day it gets better and better. The only dressing you will need to apply on your own is the one where they take out the drain right before you leave the hospital. They put one on you and give you a gauze packet but be sure to ask for the tape or snitch some. I only redressed it twice after showering and since it looked closed over and no blood ever showed up on the gauze I left it open after that.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

I second the extension cord for chargers. That was a life saver. And if you have Netflix, make sure you put it on a tablet or phone. I had it and it was awesome. I also thought I'd be reading, but with the meds, it was too hard to focus on reading material. The TV is limited. GasX strips are a must. You may or may not need them. I took too many and gave them away to others who needed them. I did not take Water to the hotel. I could not drink very much and the two bottles a day they gave me were plenty. I also drank Gatorade and Powerade, which was suggested by my doctor. There is a gift shop through a doorway to the left of the check-in area at the Marriott that had drinks and popsicles. The popsicles from the dining room were not good at all, but the small gift shop had really good ones that weren't very expensive.