Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone else have a starting weight of approximately 215/ 5' 3" w/ BMI of 38? where did ur weight level off?

I'm scared of becoming anorexic

I'll be interested to hear responses too. 215 was always my highest weight (until the month before surgery when I went up to 230), my BMI was 39 and I'm 5'3". What makes you think you will become anorexic? Just curious why that fear.

This fear comes from the fact that I only really need to lose 75 lbs to be at a very healthy weight. My concerns are that do mny people lose 60-70lbs in thier 1st 6months so I fear before I get to a place where I have learned to eat again (and learn what my sleeve can/cannot handle), that I will melt away. I know it sounds silly,but Im just now sure I m heavy enough. Now on the flip side,because of all ny health issues,it is worth it for those issues alone. Maybe my fears ate unfounded,but I'm scared non the less

This fear comes from the fact that I only really need to lose 75 lbs to be at a very healthy weight. My concerns are that do mny people lose 60-70lbs in thier 1st 6months so I fear before I get to a place where I have learned to eat again (and learn what my sleeve can/cannot handle)' date=' that I will melt away. I know it sounds silly,but Im just now sure I m heavy enough. Now on the flip side,because of all ny health issues,it is worth it for those issues alone. Maybe my fears ate unfounded,but I'm scared non the less[/quote']

I am 197 @ 5'2 w/BMI 37. I have been told your body will only lose so much. I was also taught by my NUT that once you get to your goal wgt add 100 cals back to your diet until you no longer lose. Example: if your cal intake is 1200 and you do not want to lose any more add 100 cals to your diet for a period of time. If you are still losing add another 100 cals and so on. If you gain go back down 100 cals. And subtract until you are not losing or gaining. Once at a place where you are no longer losing or gaining that should be your maintenance calorie intake. You should stabilize on this amount.

This fear comes from the fact that I only really need to lose 75 lbs to be at a very healthy weight. My concerns are that do mny people lose 60-70lbs in thier 1st 6months so I fear before I get to a place where I have learned to eat again (and learn what my sleeve can/cannot handle), that I will melt away. I know it sounds silly,but Im just now sure I m heavy enough. Now on the flip side,because of all ny health issues,it is worth it for those issues alone. Maybe my fears ate unfounded,but I'm scared non the less

Okay, I understand what your fear is. I had my surgery one month ago, so I am obviously still just starting my weight loss stage, but I can tell you that when it is time to stop losing weight, it's very easy to add more calories to your diet. (As SunMoonStar said above). By six months out you will be eating all normal foods, just watching your calorie intake and keeping them below a certain amount. By then you will understand how to up your calories when you need to. I can see why you would have that fear, but can honestly tell you that if you do what you're supposed to be doing, you won't become anorexic or lose too much weight. I am more worried about gaining weight back, to tell you the truth!!

Hey there! Our stats are somewhat similar, not exact, but I think close enough to comment. My starting weight was 206 and I am 5'2. I have lost 70 lbs in 8 months. 206 lbs to 136 pounds, as of right now. I don't know if you have been sleeved yet, but becoming "anorexic" is very, very, very (have I mentioned VERY?) uncommon. I couldn't even imagine that. In the first few months after surgery, you can't eat much, but as time goes on, YOU CAN EASILY. I am 8 months out now, and yesterday I consumed 2400 calories. I know, right? That isn't everyday. I normally try to eat very clean. But if i wanted to, eating a lot is easy. But as far as becoming anorexic from a previous very obese person (just generalizing bariatric patients), anorexia is one of the absolute least of the worries. The further you get out, the more you can eat. Take advantage of the "honeymoon" phase. It is very real.

I'm 5' 3.5"

SW: 230 6/6/13

CW: 186 9/16/13

So I've lost 44 lbs

I believe it's safe to assume 99% of everyone sleeved WANTS to eat more but can't.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches