Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm so sick of all the bullshit I've been threw I'm sick at crying at night I'm sick of waiting I'm sick of my life I'm supposed to have surgery on the 18th of this month but my surgeon calls and says its cancelled due to my insurance not giving me a weight loss class. They want me to go to a weight watching class for 6 months when I've already waited for 9 month to have surgery. I'm not happy anymore I was way happier when I didn't apply for surgery I already lost 24 pounds on myself but that is not enough weight for Some one 338 pound I think this is total bullshit I give up

The insurance companies are masters of bait and switch. They will make it as difficult as possible for someone to get WLS, in the hopes that the patient will give up and either pay for it themselves or not have the surgery. Most insurance companies are for profit so every dollar they don't spend on patient care goes to the bottom line and enhances their profit margin. So, you have a choice to make. You can give up, stay at an unhealthy weight OR decide that you aren't going to let them win and continue to fight for your health, and your future. My insurance is still putting me through hell 4 months post surgery and I am mad as hell!! I will not give up they will pay what they owe! I understand the frustration and hope that you find the strength to push through the barriers and do what you need for your health!

I had to got to this weight guy for 6 months then just as I finished my PCP changed groups and had to start agin with another NUT and weigh ins for 6 months. I went through it and after I was ok'ed by my insurance. Sometimes the road is hard but girl the alternative is worse ! Don't give into the wall that you have built around your body! Take a deep breath and do what needs to be done. You will not regret taking your life back.

I was on a list for 4 years before I got my surgery...That is the truth......

Did the doctor ask you if you have ever done anything to lose weight? If so what was your answer? If you answered that you have dieted an given the info... Like over the counter pills, prescribed pills, weight watchers, eating less, metabolic research , etc.. Maybe he disn document it fully. There is a chance you can appeal this with your insurance. I have worked with insurance for 17 years as a medical biller. Let me know if you have any questions

I guess i should feel lucky. I have Blue Cross insurance. No waiting period. They just had me write down the ways i have attempted to lose weight. Doc said my wait period is no longer than 8 weeks. I am sorry babe. Hang in there!!

I've told them I tried dieting on my own going to the gym and doing different diets I am just so stressed out

I've told them I tried dieting on my own going to the gym and doing different diets I am just so stressed out

I know how you feel. You may think I'm crazy, but I chose to go the self-pay route and in November, I'm heading to MX to have my sleeve surgery. My insurance requirements prior to them approving or disapproving me were just ridiculous. Pay $1,000 out of pocket for a consultation, $500 for a psych eval, $300 for nutritional assessment, document your "medically supervised" weight reduction efforts for the past 12 months, send in proof that your program was medically supervised, letters of recommendation from 3 physicians... The out of pocket expenses were adding up and the requirements seemed extreme to me. And I was warned that after all of that, I still may be denied and an appeal may have to be filed. Seriously?? So I'm forgetting the insurance and heading for the border. It's worth considering. No matter what though, keep your head up. Don't let this nonsense get you down.

Hang in there, Muppie. I decided to have this surgery last Jan (2012), finishe day six-month thing in Dec (2012) and will have my surgery in Mar of 2014. So yeah, I've been shoved to the back of the line a few times.

But, I've read plenty from people who had the surgery Lockett- split and the, whoa, discovered they weren't emotionally ready for all the changes--eating, relationships, work, food,you name it.

I'm not saying its easy, but I'm trying to use this time to get my head and heart "skinny." Not saying that will work for you, but it's worth a try. We are all pulling for you!

I started the process on 9/20/12, so almost a year ago. I weighed 657lbs at the first weigh-in. I was told I needed to weigh 450lbs before they'd perform the procedure. I dieted and worked my ass off for 8 months and finally got there. I got approved by insurance and scheduled my surgery date for 5/29/13. The week after I scheduled, my surgeon called and said the hospital made a new policy and patients needed to weigh 410lbs so it would be easier on their CAT scan machine if there were complications. So we put it off another 2 months. I got to 420lbs and they decided that I'd lose enough during my liquid diet that we could FINALLY schedule. My date was 8/26/13, so I'm exactly 3 weeks post-op. I weigh 386lbs and my goal is 200-250lbs.

Point is, I had set-backs and after losing 250lbs on my own pre-op, I too wanted to give up at times. Don't. Just keep going until you can get your insurance to approve. You'll get there. Nothing good comes easy. :-)

muppie -

My journey began over four years ago. Insurance was not my issue. Rather is was a bariatric surgical practice that was poorly run. The surgeon had the bedside manner of a rattlesnake and only one member of his staff had any sense or compassion. I had done everything on my side. Lost the weight, did the paperwork, went to all the appointments with NUTs, etc.

I was getting my paperwork submitted for approval and I looked at my husband and said "Something is not right here. This is just not the atmosphere where I can thrive." He agreed.

I decided to not to pursue the surgery with this doctor and walked away after all that work. I am a very thorough person. I finish what I started but I trusted my instincts.

Fastforward - I am 2 1/2 months sleeved - down more than 60 lbs. I think my current surgeon is outstanding and his practice supportive. I have sleeve buddies in RL and online. To date I have met 8 other women who walked away from that program for the very same reasons.

Make no mistake, I felt horrible even though I was the one that made the decision to leave. I felt like a miserable failure - because I was overweight and because I failed to take that step. But I kept pushing and this surgery with this surgeon is what will work long-term for me.

Consider self-pay, different insurance, therapy during your 6 months, support groups or whatever it is to get you through this period. As said previously "You'll get there. Nothing good comes easy." Ain't that the truth!

My best to you. One door closes - Two doors open. I hope your story is as happy as mine.

Why would your doctor wait nine months to tell you that you need a six month monitored program? Geeze Louize! Ok here is a back story to make a point: In 2005 I left an abuser, moved very far away, and thought maybe I should go to college so I could support myself better. But I was thinking...I am 54...that is too old to go to college. But someone asked me, "how old will you be in four years if you do not go to college?" Answer was - 58, same as if I DID. So, I went back to college and got my bachelor's degree at the age of 58. Now, here is my point....where will your health be in six months if you don't get involved in a monitored weight loss program? We are ALL here because of a struggle and we reached out for surgical help to lift us up out of the quicksand of dieting despair. Your weight loss brothers and sisters want you to succeed. My insurance requires a 3 month program of which I have 5 weeks to go. I have learned so much from the Nutritionist even though I have been on a diet since 1978 and thought I knew it all. Portion Control, logging foods eaten, eating slower, balanced choices, eating more Protein even though I have vegans in the family. (which by the way, they seem like ankle-nipping Pekinese dogs to me) The program will be so worth it even if you don't have the surgery afterward. You will learn life skills that will help you on your journey to a healthier you. Good luck with whatever you choose to do. But come back to visit us here. We want to encourage you.

I started the process on 9/20/12' date=' so almost a year ago. I weighed 657lbs at the first weigh-in. I was told I needed to weigh 450lbs before they'd perform the procedure. I dieted and worked my ass off for 8 months and finally got there. I got approved by insurance and scheduled my surgery date for 5/29/13. The week after I scheduled, my surgeon called and said the hospital made a new policy and patients needed to weigh 410lbs so it would be easier on their CAT scan machine if there were complications. So we put it off another 2 months. I got to 420lbs and they decided that I'd lose enough during my liquid diet that we could FINALLY schedule. My date was 8/26/13, so I'm exactly 3 weeks post-op. I weigh 386lbs and my goal is 200-250lbs.

Point is, I had set-backs and after losing 250lbs on my own pre-op, I too wanted to give up at times. Don't. Just keep going until you can get your insurance to approve. You'll get there. Nothing good comes easy. :-)[/quote']

Ryan, you are AWESOME!!! :)