Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Torn between sleeve and rny. . .anyone been here?

I have decided on rny but now due to funding, it would be easier to do vsg. I am just not convinced that I would lose much with a vsg. Am I wrong? I am currently 245 and would feel successful at 160 and a size 12 but I've never been lower than that as an adult and would love to get to about 130 and a size 6. . .I'm afraid i wouldn't achieve this with the sleeve where I could with the rny. My body gets to that set point of 160 and just won't go lower no matter what I do. Should I make the extra effort to get the additional $ for the rny or just settle with the sleeve. I'm just afraid I won't lose weight after all the money and the process.

Absolutly, I would recommend the RNY to someone who was grossely obease or had other major comorbidies like diabetes or a severe addiction to sugar as the RNY produces a dumping syndrome. You have 85 pounds the lose, the sleeve is perfect for you... between the two surgeries. Just my humble opinion.

With the sleeve you get some nutritional value out of what you eat...The other not so much..Most of the nutrients are taken in the intestines.

The intestines leach all the remaining good from what you eat but it is a limited job..

Dumping is an awful way to lose weight....Can be painful or constant depending on what you eat....

You have to remember that you are doing this to improve your life and your health.....Do it right and use the tool you chose correctly and it will happen for you....

This is not a race, this is lifelong commitment.....When you get to 160 then you can take steps to get the rest off..Don't hurt yourself in the process....

I have both the sleeve and by-pass, So I get some of both problems of each....

Not what I wanted but ended up that way...

I started at 248. 180 was my previous stopping point much like your 160. I am currently 143lbs and 8lbs from goal at 10 months post op. I'm in a size 8 steadily (I'm 4'11"). I went into my initial appt thinking rny, but after much research I decided the sleeve was the right choice for me.

I will be completely honest. RNY is a great surgery. I myself was hoping to do it but I was self pay and just couldn't afford it. It was almost double the price. My nurse said she had RNY patients lose hardly anything compared to sleeve and vice versa. AT THE END OF THE DAY YOU ARE THE "DRIVER" AND YOU WILL CONTROL HOW MUCH YOU LOSE.

*To an extent. Obviously your body will retain fluids, hormone changes and some weeks you just stall no matter how hard you try. But if you eat clean, do what you are supposed to and work out you will see good results regardless of which surgery you decide to do. I am not denying people lose weight faster than others.

Anyway. Because you only have 85 pounds to lose and you didn't list any problems (diabetes, etc) I would say the sleeve is a great for you. You can choose to do RNY if you prefer, it's your decision, but the sleeve has done wonders for so many people, including myself. I started at 364 and I hit the 50 pound loss mark today after 5 weeks (1 week pre-op included) and I even gained 10 pounds of gas after surgery that took 4 days to lose, LOL. Also, you can have the sleeve revised to a bypass if it doesn't work for you.

You don't want to "Settle" when it comes to your body and what you want. This is a major operation and it's life changing. There are also a lot of risks involved with all of the surgeries available. Be passionate about your decision and research a lot. Be aware of risks, the goods, the bads and the uglys. I will admit - I did settle for the sleeve but after awhile of doing more research and getting involved, I was very happy that I chose this instead of RNY.

I have lost 106 and 1 lb from goal in 9 months....I LOVE my Sleeve! Best of Luck.

I'm 5'4". I would actually like to lose 110 so being 245 now, that would leave me at 135. Possible with a sleeve? More likely with rny? No comorbidities here though. What is the weight loss like at 4 months out? 9 months out ? I mean, I have read and re-read what to respect but I think first hand accounts are more accurate and realistic.

I'm 5'4". I would actually like to lose 110 so being 245 now' date=' that would leave me at 135. Possible with a sleeve? More likely with rny? No comorbidities here though. What is the weight loss like at 4 months out? 9 months out ? I mean, I have read and re-read what to respect but I think first hand accounts are more accurate and realistic.[/quote']

I am 5' tall, weighed 243 at surgery. I am at 173 and in a 14, close to a 12. If this is all I get, I will be extremely happy but I think I'll get close to my goal of 130. I am 6 mos out. When I began my journey, I was advised to do the RNY, but I had to change surgeons and my new one recommended the Sleeve. I was apprehensive but I had some issues that he felt could be handled better with the sleeve. I put my trust in him and I have not looked back. I had no nausea, no pain. I was driving in 2 days and could have gone back to work- lucky me I am retired. Oh yeah, I am old-67 - and it still worked. Do what you feel is right for you, but research both.

Ann

Its really about what you really want to do, I have the choice of either one and my surgeon said I would do great with the sleeve and perhaps better with RGY do to my diabetics. Good luck. Im sure you will make the best choice for you.

Thanks to everyone for the posts. Very helpful as I make my decision. I've researched all the options for years and was pretty scared of the RNY so am ecstatic that a lot of insurances are covering the sleeve now. My boss at work had the RNY about 2 years ago and her daughter is having the sleeve next month. My boss told me that she's totally happy but if she had it to do over again she would go with the sleeve as it's less invasive (no re-routing) and the studies are showing that the sleeve is just as effective. That's what my Dr told me as well. Hope it helps.

I didn't want the gastric bypass because of the malabsorption aspect. I was so happy to learn about the sleeve gastrectomy. I've had Type II diabetes for over 20 years & I went into this not expecting my diabetes to resolve but I did expect it to improve. I'm now only 3½ weeks post-op & my diabetes has improved so much I now expect to go into remission. I'm down 53 pounds from my initial visit to my surgeon on April 25.

Okay, so after a couple days of contemplating I have solidified my decision for a sleeve instead of the rny and after receiving a copy of some of my preop info and everything was filled out for the sleeve instead of the rny by mistake, I figured I would just go for it. Must've been a sign lol!

Sounds like a sign to me! Good luck:)