Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bi-Polar Sleevers

Prior to sleeving I had managed stability with Zoloft and Klonopin and had avoided mood stabilizers. I'm 7 weeks out and feel a ridiculous need to constantly moooove. I'm cleaning, talking, planning, scheming and building. I am following normal sleep patterns though. Is anyone having trouble telling the difference between hypomania and regular energy surge as a result of weight loss? I would love for this to just be natural energy. But we all know what happens next if it ain't.

I suffer from chronic depression..Now after 10 months I cannot sit still...I am on the run constantly...Lately to the point where I forget to eat....oops....

I sleep well though and so am not worried about it at all....Sleep is a key if you are doing that....Things are okay for now....

I have had some dark moments on this journey but I just keep moving now that I can.... :)

Thanks for this post. I too have bipolar and have managed with Cymbalta and Abilify for years. I am not sleeved yet (October 22nd), but have been wondering how this will affect me.

As long as I am getting good sleep in, I would be happy to be moving more. I actually like my hypomania, but the depression crash that always follows is not fun at all; hence, staying diligent to my meds has been a way of life for me.

Bonnie

Hi! I was sleeved on Aug. 22. I have bipolar. I haven't been sleeved for long and, if anything, I'm still really tired all the time. You raise an interesting question though - I am anxious to see what the future holds w/r/t weight loss and my bipolar.

I know you didn't ask for this advice, but one more thing I will add, FWIW, the only medication that EVER worked for me in terms of stopping the cycles of up and down is Lamictal, which is a mood stabilizer. It is generic. And it doesn't cause weight gain. I'm throwing that out there to the extent you end up finding that you're "too high."

Good luck - nice to know there are others on this journey!

I hesitate to even call myself bi-polar anymore. I have been super stable for about 4 years now. i take lamictal and abilify and am happy with this combo. I also take clonazepam for anxiety.

i am 8 months out and have lost 60 lbs. my pysch doc thinks that abilify could slow down weight loss a little, but i'm not willing to change my meds around at this point.

So, to answer your question, my weight loss has not caused any exacerbation in mania or depression. i still struggle with anxiety tho.

I am rapid cycling bipolar and take Tegretol, Abilify and Lamictal. I do not want to change as this is a great combo for me that is working. I worry about the Tegretol absorption more than anything because they are always checking my blood serum levels to make certain I have the most stable amount of it in my system. It stinks when you have finally found what works for you and the thought of it working differently scares you. My psych has always said as long as my sleep isn't affected, then do not give yourself added anxiety over wondering if you're gonna crash. Hang in there and enjoy this energy. If it affects your sleep, then is the time to contact your psych.

Did you have to go to a shrink before your surgery that works with weight loss pts? I would call them. I really liked the person I saw. Our bodies are going through big changes so it is good to get medical advice first.

Thanks for this post. I too have bipolar and have managed with Cymbalta and Abilify for years. I am not sleeved yet (October 22nd), but have been wondering how this will affect me.

As long as I am getting good sleep in, I would be happy to be moving more. I actually like my hypomania, but the depression crash that always follows is not fun at all; hence, staying diligent to my meds has been a way of life for me.

Bonnie

I also take abilify and cymbalta. can I bother to ask you what milligrams you take of each? thanks.

I take 60mg of Cymbalta and 5mg of Abilify.

I was very worried about things changing after surgery but they haven't for me! So glad for that. I'd definitely get in touch with your psych. Doesn't sound good.

I am being monitored for a possible bi polar II diagnosis. But I do have PTSD with a mood disorder, anxiety and depression. I am not on meds; personal choice since none of this is creating significant difficulty for me in my daily life. I am glad you started this thread because I am curious to know how my mental health might change with surgery.

Thanks all for sharing. I often wonder how much food served as sedation pre-surgery. Binge behavior often occurred when I felt more angst ridden. Perhaps I could have achieved more had pizza delivery not existed.

I did see my shrink, my therapist and the surgeon's shrink prior to and post surgery. I will certainly get my therapist's opinion next week. She keeps me honest and never let's me negotiate.

Thanks also for the advice. Happy to share with anyone pre or post op!

I suffer from chronic depression..Now after 10 months I cannot sit still...I am on the run constantly...Lately to the point where I forget to eat....oops....

I sleep well though and so am not worried about it at all....Sleep is a key if you are doing that....Things are okay for now....

I have had some dark moments on this journey but I just keep moving now that I can.... :)

Thanks for responding! I've been dealing with chronic depression and dysthymia for years. Good to know that this may change.

I'm bipolar 2. It's for the most part managed with Lamictal.

I'm five weeks out now and just so, so depressed. Right now I genuinely don't care if I live or die and I'm in a really bad place mentally. No energy to do the mountain of studying I need to do, which is perpetuating my feelings of failure. Ugh. I came here seeing if other people felt the same way and happened to find this recent thread. Thanks for posting it. :)

You know the drill. If your feeling hopeless call the doctor. Take no chances! I can say that while hopeless never happened, helpless lasted about 5 weeks and then this mania started. I felt for a bit as though I would never feel better and now that has lifted. Sounds like you have taken on a lot! How is your support system?