Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To have VSG or not that is the Question

Hi,

My name is Kim and I am 37yrs old in Boston, Ma I have been fighting obesity my whole life. I currently weight 301lbs and I am 5'7. I have been back and forth with WLS for many years and never seem to go through with it. I've been trying to rationalize why this is. My husband is very supportive and I want to do it. But why can't I go through with it? Please help!!

-Kim

Have it- have it- have it!!! :D

Seriously though you have to make the decision to do so only when you are ready.

Sounds like you've been struggling with that part of it for a few years.

If it's been a constant battle with your weight the sleeve is a great aid when you're ready to utilize it.

What are your reasons for not going forward?

Maybe speaking to a counselor would help define those reasons for you.

I'm feeling great, much more comfortable with day to day activities, have cut out most of my meds and seen my labs numbers improve greatly!

All good!!!

Good luck with your journey and decision.

I went back and forth with the though of to do or not for several weeks, The though that has stuck with me and let me convince myself was, are you ready ? I can yo-yo up and down and only ever loose about 1/2 of what I need to be be considered healthy. A sleeve will enable me to loose that 2nd 1/2 that has always been elusive. The first 1/2 has never been "easy" but the 2nd 1/2 has always been impossible, that is not the case going forward.

Just really think about it. I'm post op day 5 and its no walk in the park, that's for sure.

I too waffled back and forth about whether to have surgery - for about 2 years. I even went to a seminar in February 2012, because I thought I was ready. But then, after the reality of what the gastric bypass could mean physically, I decided to give myself "1 year to do it on my own." Well, not surprisingly, I didn't manage much on my own. In fact, by December 2013 I had regained all but 6 pounds of the 57 I had spent 2 1/2 years losing (still above 300 that whole time!) and was so angry with myself. Anger, disappointment, embarrassment - they all tend to cause me to eat MORE! That's when I knew, it was time. I started the year off by re-committing to WW and by February 2013 (the one year mark since that first seminar) I had decided to pursue surgery seriously. As if it was meant to be, I learned about the gastric sleeve at random from a friend who was considering it. I didn't realize there was another procedure and from the day I learned about it, it just felt right -- I am convinced the procedure is for me. So, after months of preparing, my surgery is Monday. I'm nervous about the procedure itself and the early days of recovery, but I know for sure I am making the right decision.

I don't know if this is helpful, but as MIJourney above says, if you've been in a constant battle, maybe it's time for a great piece of help to get you through. That's what I need, and that's why I'm proceeding. It's not a magical tool, but I think it's the help I need to get on track. Good luck with everything!

Thanks everone for you information!!

I've been really wanting to have VSG for a few years but everytime I got close I backed out for unknown reasons. Maybe it's time to reconsider.

Have you attended the support groups? I was back and forth until I attended them, they have been REALLY encouraging. Don't just go to one, attend them weekly and really get the feel for them, and you can bring your husband along for support. They have been SOOOOOO helpful for me in making my decision and I have made my final decsion to be sleeved, and will be the week of October 18th. Hope this helped :-)

Thanks everone for you information!!

I've been really wanting to have VSG for a few years but everytime I got close I backed out for unknown reasons. Maybe it's time to reconsider.

Best thing I've ever done. SW 326 cw 286! Sleeved 8.31.13 Dr. Illan MEXICO:)

What convinced me ... 1) Statistics. 2) If not now, when?

I too have gone back and forth. I completely u understand your struggle. I was scheduled last January and backed out. I rationalized my reasons. The risks really freak me out. I realize the risks of staying overweight. But for some reason I can't get past talking myself out of it. One thing that somewhat has me thinking differently at this point is I did feel regret that I didn't go through with it. I wished I had, of course so I would be healthy but also so I didn't have to think about the decision anymore. I have an extension until November. I'm in the same boat as you. I want to do it but so unsure.

I struggled with the decision for years and now I regret all the years lost. In the end what made up my mind was my medical condition. I got to the point where i couldn't do anything on my own. i hadn't left the house alone in months and i could only work from home limiting my options drastically. i finally desided that i didn't want to live like this. i was 50 years old and 451 pounds when i had the operaton. if i had done it when i was younger and lighter it would have been a lot easier. as it was they kept me for 5 days in icu "just in case". There were no complications in the end but still the doctor had to be sure.

Its not always rosy and some days can be difficult but really what other option did i have? If i xould lose weight oon my own i would have done so years ago.

You need to decide how important losing weight is for you and for what reasons.Find a doctor and discuss all your questions with him/her. i'm sure youll choose the best option for you in the end.

good luck

I agree with the other posts, but here is one thought...It is hard to admit that we need help and are not able to do this on our own. We feel like, what is wrong with me? I must be weak. And then there is the what if I do this and I fail? I mean we all have not had the best track records with weight loss.

I would discuss this with your therapist. You definitely need to be committed to the journey and ready to accept the lifestyle change. I am not sleeved yet (Oct 22nd), but from what I read on here, it is not a magic bullet, but a tool.

I don't think I would have been ready a year ago. But last year I was diagnosed with Celiac's Disease. And in the matter of overnight I had to give up gluten completely. You know what has gluten in it? EVERYTHING. I didn't even get the chance to have a food funeral. Gluten was making me so sick that I would have done anything to feel better. It took me about two months of being very bitter about not getting to eat like everyone else, and sometimes I am still a little resentful. Now I feel that going gluten-free and changing my eating habits has just prepared me for the next step of my journey. The Sleeve.

I am very committed to making this work and I know it is the right decision for me. I wish you luck in finding the right answer for yourself. Keep us posted.

Bonnie

This is something I've posted before, but it's worth repeating.

Back in the mid-70s I did look into weight loss surgery. At that time the only real option was intestinal bypass & I’m glad I didn’t have it done. Most people who did have it died within 5-10 years. I do remember weighing 228 pounds then, so my BMI was 38. I didn’t have any co-morbidities, so I would not have qualified by today’s medical necessity criteria.

I’ve known about gastric bypass for quite a few years & would have met the criteria for coverage by my insurance, but, especially as a nurse, I’m just not comfortable with the malabsorption aspects. So I was resigned to living the rest of my life like this. But I’ve had increasing problems with arthritis in my knees & pain in my right sacroiliac joint. I can’t walk for very long without having to sit for a few minutes while the pain subsides, so last fall I did more research & learned about the sleeve gastrectomy. It's what I thought should be possible when I learned about ghrelin & how the gastric bypass affected it. The sleeve just seemed like the perfect “fit” for me.

Wow, I'm the same height and weight. Exactly. I almost went to Mexico to have VSG done last year, but wavered at the last minute. Glad I did because new insurance allows it and it'll be at a Center of Excellence here in Oklahoma.

I'm tired. Tired of hurting. Tired of being a hermit because of my embarrassment. I'm too young to feel this old and I'm tired of hiding behind my weight. One day you'll feel like me. When you do, you'll know and you won't need any convincing. This is your life. Isn't it about time you lived it to the highest degree that you can?

Hi' date='

My name is Kim and I am 37yrs old in Boston, Ma I have been fighting obesity my whole life. I currently weight 301lbs and I am 5'7. I have been back and forth with WLS for many years and never seem to go through with it. I've been trying to rationalize why this is. My husband is very supportive and I want to do it. But why can't I go through with it? Please help!!

-Kim[/quote']

Hi Kim,

Just wanted to introduce myself.... I'm also in the Boston area and planning to be sleeved thru Lahey Burlington in December. I had a billion questions and reservations about wls and I've finally decided I'm going to do it! I have spent the first half of my life obese and I'm refusing to spend the the second half that way!!!

Lahey has been informative and really helpful along the way. Which hospital are going thru? Do they have support groups?

Erin