Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many from the UK

Oh dear, my radiologist always does the procedure under xray (I suppose its however they feel confident) its really good becuase you see your band working, I felt quite emotional too, like seeing my baby on the monitor (weird)? anyway it made me feel better that the thing hadn't slipped or anything and I can reassure you here as according to my radiologist, it wasnt barium (?sp) we had in Belgium, he gave it another name, so all you need to do with this is sip a tiny tiny bit, so it was alot easier than Belgium, I also cryed after having to drink that stuff in Belgium, Deidre (sp) must of thought I was a crazy lady!!

I am so glad to hear it isn't that horrid barium Fluid we had in Belgium, it nearly made me spew and did you get the runs??

Well it sounds like the xray is probably a good thing to do. I just really hope it hasn't flipped too much!

I'm glad to hear everything is OK with your band, maybe this will be the fill that makes the biggest change in your life.

I know what you mean about the band being like a baby, it really is such a part of us, we are carrying it forever and ever and even the band anaswers back when you eat incorrectly lol!

Hiya everyone!

I'm in the UK and saving to be banded in the summer.

I will be going to Belgium for mine so it's great to hear of your experiences!

x katie

Just wanted to join in with the UK members. Having surgery on 11 March.

Had gastric balloon but that was taken out nearly a year ago. Started to regain the weight and worried that I will end up heavier than before.

Am having the telemetric band - no port - no fills - all adjustments done by computer. Having it done in Manchester.

Your new band sounds great no port. I was banded in sheffield on the 24 jan and am having problems with my port . Going to see my consultant on monday regarding this .my port is very close to my ribs and giving me constant pain and discomfort:mad:. My consultant will decide on monday if i need another op to repostion port . So after reading about your op with no port i'm really green with envy hehehehe. lucky you . . Even though i am experiencing problems with port i still dont regret having op 24 pounds lost so far so its worth it :). Hope your op goes well good luck. By the way i'm a uk lass as well i live in eastyorkshire .

ooh - telemetric band - fancy pants - I'm jealous - you'll need to let us know how you get on with that - no fills - bonus - I'm not looking forward to my first fill which is months away yet - bloody NHS!

Yvonne

x

Hi

I had my band fitted on the 7th Feb in Birmingham by Mr Sigurrdson though the hospital group. I did not get offered the telemetric band and had not heard anything about it prior to coming on this site. Is it more expensive?

I am in Blackpool in the North of England.

I have had no follow up and have no appointments planned with the hospital group. Everyone I met on my consult has now left and I fel the aftercare is not as they explained in my consultations!!

Has any one else had the surgery with the hospital group?

Cor lumey, who would have thought that are dear bands would be bettered so soon! Still as long as mine does the job it'll do.

I did have fun with my fill, well probably fun isn't the best word. The first attempt failed miserably, Dr Diggory kept hitting something and bending the needle! I ended up bursting into tears, which was embarassing in itself. I had to have it done with an x-ray. Somehow the port had completely turned around, so the plastic part of the port was facing down instead of the normal up. Something had to go wrong, considering everything has been pretty fantastic. But, now that Dr Diggory knows he will be able to hit it first time if I need it again, now he knows where it is!

Do you find it weird being abole to feel the port? It really takes a lot of getting used to. At least it is a sign that I have lost weight, I couldn't feel it when I had it first done!

Had a bad day, just couldn't get warmed so have snacked on all those things I shouldn't snack on. Why is it sweet stuff goes through so easily and healthy food fills me quicker???

Good luck G with the telemetric band. No more needles for you!

It is sad to hear that some have had a less than satisfactory service from the Hospital Group. Could you complain? from the many posts I have read, the group have never seemed to complete what they promise! I knew up front with my choice that there would be no after care package but you were giving info of places in the UK that were approved by the clinic.

I didn't go with those due to the travelling, I have to pay extra for someone closer but it is worth it.

The telemetric is only available through the Healthier Weight Centres - I am going to Manchester as I am in the North of England. Went to see surgeon on Saturday - he was great and didn't try to push the new band [it is £1000 more than the normal one] but gave me the benefits, no needles, no port [just a flat disc which is under the skin] then a computer box is placed over it and they have like a credit card with your details on and this goes into the box - they can then adjust the band to a milimetre. He did explain however that because it is new they only have one years statistics as opposed to many years with the other band. He said all patients with the new band were doing really well so I can't see any reason why not to go with it. He was also saying that they are hoping in the future to be able to adjust the band over the telephone. Great!! - I think I have already made up my mind but what do you all think. Ten years or more of statistics on the old type band or only one on the new one??

That is a good question GC. It is a toughie, I know I would be tempted to go for the newest type of band if it was a lot easier to deal with than the old one.

The truth is that the old one is fine if that is what you have had. I am sure with technology it is definitely the way the band will be going, everyone will be providing it.

So really the question is, Can I afford the extra £1000?

If I could I know I would have had it!

You go for it, I bet the centre will be wanting to give you exceptional service to ensure that it is worth risking their reputation on, I think it's a win win situation!

The thought of a nice flat disc is definitely more attractive than the lumpy bumpy port! Although it is nice to know it is there!

Hi libertysuzanne.icon7.gif

Thanks again for your very encouraging email. I've been reading all your thread and find your advice extremely helpful.

I agreed with you re eating Protein first ie treat it like Atkins diet. I try to eat smoke salmon (in tiny pieces) whenever I can and these days eat lots of fish. Somedays I can eat chicken (tiny pcs) and beef, on other days it just get stuck, and I hv to finger it all out. Its disgusting andI am trying to remember to eat small bites and chew chew chew. Im so disgusted with myself for having to finger it all out.

Yesterday was Chinese New Year and I went with family and friends to a Chinese restaurant. I know I wont be able to eat, but I tried it on. I tried the chicken sweet corn Soup, no deal, all came out. Tried chewing the beef stir fry which is very tender, a couple pcs went in, and suddenly 1 pc got stuck, again got to finger it out. Finally tried a small pc of fried salmon, but it wont go in at all. In the end 2 1/2 hrs sitting around the table and I can hardly eat anything, Some friends commented how sad to see me suffering and not able to eat. I have to lie and told them I've a very bad sore throat (they knew I've been having this very bad cough for over a month now) so they believed me.

I feel abit sorry for myself cos I go out and dine with diff group of friends alot and Im thinking now, sh*t, what am I going to do now. I have only told 3 of my friends cos I do not want them to laugh at me if the band doesnt work. And at moment, me being so impatient, my weight is going down extremely slow...no actually it has plateu at 12 1/2 stone!!!

I also understand what you wrote about the sweet things go down so quickly and the healthy stuff fill us up so quickly. I love 'cream buleir' (wrong spelling) and have to stop myself from buying them. Thank god for Weight watcher choc moose.

I also agreed with you re Chimay not giving us enough info. When I went for my 2nd fill, myself and another mate who went for the op same date as me both had something to eat 2 hours before. We told the radiologist and both of us got a told off for being so silly and eat before a fill. We had to drink lots of Water to flush the food down and wait for hours before the radiologist will finally give us a fill. Both of us were not told by Chimay we werent suppose to eat 4 hrs before a fill. We didnt know that our band get tighten when we fly, thus we cant have a fill 2 weeks before we are due to fly long haul. We werent told that if we have to have any operation of any sort in future, we need to have all our fill taken out. And most importantly we werent informed that because we had our op out of UK, non of the UK hospitals or docs will touch us cos of insurance liability (unless those designated by the clinic itself)!!!!

Since July 07, I have been trying to find a support group, and thank god I finally found this site recently. Its great to read about others who are going through what I am going through myself. I know the band is not a short cut to weight lost. I have to work with it with proper planned diet. Its not going to work overnight,:think it is not going to be easy icon6.gifand I am trying hard not to get jealous when I read about others who have lose 30 - 50 pounds without even having a fill. I have to tell myself that: (1) that I dont really have that much to lose - ie another 30lbs and I'll be so happy and (2) at least Im not putting on. I know if I want it enough I will get there in the end.:)

Hey guys,

I was just wondering how many people on here are from the UK. I use a very busy UK site as well as this one and find them invaluable. It seems like regardless of where we live in the world all our worries, queries and joys are pretty much the same.

I live in Colchester in Essex, where are all you guys from?

Take care

Laura x

Hi Laura, Can you tell me apart from this site, which other uK site are you using? Can you let me know what is the web address? Cheers

Hi Saggij,

The site is www.wlsinfoforums.org.uk. It has about 7,000 members but not all banders but a mixture of band, bypass and ds. I find it a really great site and very informative. It isin't free though and costs £15 per year, well worth it in my opinion.

Take care hun

Laura x

Hi,

I'm in that one too - it is a good site and you get great advice - you'll always get a quick reply to your postings.

Yvonne

x