Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 months out and falling off wagon

Sigh. Lets maybe not pick on that one poster. There were some other pretty rude ones too. Lets let it go and help the OP maybe.

I think you have already gotten some great advise (and some really rude, insensitive feedback). Get back to basics, track everything you put in your mouth, and consider seeking out a support group. This surgery is a life's worth of hard an learning but you can do it. We will all have struggles and setbacks along the way but define yourself by how you pick yourself back up.

You don't need anybody to reprimand you....you are doing a good job of it already. You know what you need to do. As for eating crap....every once in a while it is ok to indulge... I am a firm believer that if you tell yourself you CAN'T have something, then you become obsessed with that thing until it sabotages you. Moderation is the key. Don't indulge everyday, but don't deprive yourself of something you really want. Have a little and then cut it out and stay on track. Just keep trying! You will get there! :)

I have been struggling lately with really craving carbs and wanting more snacks..... Crunchy salty food.... I called my dietician and she got me in next day.... I am still losing but just don't want to fall into bad habits. So a good suggestion is to continue journaling your food, drink your Water, measure your foods, & exercise. Always remember protein&meat/milk foods first then fruits/vegetables then starches. By the time you eat the first 2 things you should be full and will not want the starches. I have lost 40 lbs and am almost 3 months post/op. hope this helps you. Just take it day by day!

I agree it is harder to admit when we falter and seek help. I'm glad you posed and am sorry you are struggling. Some good advice posed. Getting back to basics, remember what drew you to slipping, but don't beat yourself up over it. Tomorrow is a new day. I find tracking really helps keep me motivated and on track.

Re-commit to staying on track, you have a world of support and encouragement here, draw from that! You got this!!

Have you considered joining the 5:2 group. I hear they're having success.

I'd urge you to go back to basics-maybe do a 5 day pouch test? I'm told thats a good way to beat back the carb monster.

Maybe make a pro con list about foods that conflict you- like bread- pro-tastes amazing con-doesn't help me reach my goals

Sorry youre having trouble & youre right that person who said stop eating s is an "lint licker"

allons-y

What is the 5 day pouch test?

I had a day or two of that and got back to basics, more Water and more Protein. Protein cuts the carb crave and the insulin spikes that keeps that cycle going. Hang in there, at least your concerned enough to speak up for help. You can do this!! I find that my emotions are all over the place!! Crying and getting really p*** off at people.. anyone else?? VSG on 8/21

It is really hard at times, my week has been a little up the creek. Here's what helped me: I reminded myself of my success so far and the fact I'm only halfway through my journey. On the recommendation of two other vets, I have upped my fats in the morning and prior to exercise. So maybe like half an avocado with my boiled egg, today I had coconut oil in my porridge.. (Waiting for my order of steel oats to arrive.. So normal porridge for a change), I tried a Protein Shake as my snack.. With Peanut Butter. So just tiny things like that. My personal trainer always tells me there is no point in busting my butt at the gym and then eating badly!! It's not just a case of calories in and calories out.. We need to fuel our bodies with good calories. He also tells me exercise is 20% and nutrition is 80%.. This means we have to have a sound food base.. This journey was never going to be easy but don't get down on yourself. This for me tends to start a self destructive spiral. Ok I ate whatever but my next meals today are gonna be 100% on target!! This is your journey and I know it's cliche but you are captain of your ship., steer yourself out those rough seas so you can enjoy the beauty of the calm. It's alternative but hypnotherapy has really helped me with forming intelligent relationships with food, making sensible eating choices, eating only when I'm hungry etc etc. I do appreciate it's not for everyone. Good luck at getting back on track!

I had a day or two of that and got back to basics' date=' more Water and more Protein. Protein cuts the carb crave and the insulin spikes that keeps that cycle going. Hang in there, at least your concerned enough to speak up for help. You can do this!! I find that my emotions are all over the place!! Crying and getting really p*** off at people.. anyone else?? VSG on 8/21[/quote']

That happens to me too.... Don't cry much but get very annoyed with people and edgy.... Hope this eventually quits! Ha! Thanks for the tips!

It is really hard at times' date=' my week has been a little up the creek. Here's what helped me: I reminded myself of my success so far and the fact I'm only halfway through my journey. On the recommendation of two other vets, I have upped my fats in the morning and prior to exercise. So maybe like half an avocado with my boiled egg, today I had coconut oil in my porridge.. (Waiting for my order of steel oats to arrive.. So normal porridge for a change), I tried a Protein shake as my snack.. With Peanut Butter. So just tiny things like that. My personal trainer always tells me there is no point in busting my butt at the gym and then eating badly!! It's not just a case of calories in and calories out.. We need to fuel our bodies with good calories. He also tells me exercise is 20% and nutrition is 80%.. This means we have to have a sound food base.. This journey was never going to be easy but don't get down on yourself. This for me tends to start a self destructive spiral. Ok I ate whatever but my next meals today are gonna be 100% on target!! This is your journey and I know it's cliche but you are captain of your ship., steer yourself out those rough seas so you can enjoy the beauty of the calm. It's alternative but hypnotherapy has really helped me with forming intelligent relationships with food, making sensible eating choices, eating only when I'm hungry etc etc. I do appreciate it's not for everyone. Good luck at getting back on track![/quote']

Thanks you for the very help tips and ideas. It is so nice to hear that someone else is going through the same things. I appreciate the words of encouragement. Good luck to you!

I was sleeved on 5/14/13 and I'm going through the same struggle as you are. To my surprise, bread goes down very easily. I've noticed that if I eat oatmeal (even when I add Protein powder) I want to eat carbs all day. It's funny but the sleeve really magnifies what we can and can't do in order to lose weight. We just have to learn to listen to it. I'm glad you posted your struggle. It help me!

I was sleeved on 5/14/13 and I'm going through the same struggle as you are. To my surprise, bread goes down very easily. I've noticed that if I eat oatmeal (even when I add Protein powder) I want to eat carbs all day. It's funny but the sleeve really magnifies what we can and can't do in order to lose weight. We just have to learn to listen to it. I'm glad you posted your struggle. It help me!

I did not post that looking for "permission" to eat junk. I was sharing my struggle and hoping for some encouragement to get back on track. And partly I was posting just to be accountable to myself by making it public. I was being honest.

I really find that there is a lot of negativity and judgement on this forum.

The best advice I've gotten so far was the suggestion about a therapist. The rest is just nasty and judgmental. And to the person who said "stop eating ****"... You are about 4 days out' date=' right? I hope for your sake you don't struggle like I am at 4 months, but at 4 days food made me sick. That changes over time and it does get harder. I'm not making excuses for my choices. Just being real and looking for some help.[/quote']

Hi Mamamareli,

We are all humans and trust me, we will all make mistakes. Some will admit to it and others won't. It's a hard journey, but you can do it. You are rocking already. It's ok to fall as long as you get up again. Just analyze where your having your issues and eliminate them. I wish you the best.

Alex

I am still pre op, but have been seeing a therapist for the last several months for this exact reason -self sabotage. I would lose weight and then self sabotage. I knew WLS wasn't going to change the behavior. I am not saying it won't be a struggle after surgery, but I feel much more prepared and have some more tools to help with the emotional side of things. Find a therapist you really connect with. Today is always a new day and an opportunity to do things differently. Wish you all the best and hope you are able to find a balance between enjoying foods and weight loss.

I'm struggling. I've been eating things I shouldn't and until recently, couldn't. bread used to be tough for me, but in past 2 weeks its fine (which is NOT a good thing). I've given in to too many Snacks that aren't healthy. I'm exercising a lot more lately so I've been hungrier, but I need to reel in these bad habits. I'm about 60 lbs down, but things have definitely slowed down--probably due to my poor food choices. Help, encouragement, tips or even gentle reprimands welcome.

I can't BELIEVE some of the nasty things people are posting. This is an everyday struggle for ALL of us. If it was not a struggle, then we would have had no problem stopping eating sh** like that chick said, and we would not have had to have the surgery. You have to take it one day, one bite at a time. Just remember that so what if you screw up and eat bread for lunch. Its not the end of the day and the day isn't ruined. Just try to make a better choice next time. We all eat things that we are not "supposed" to eat. Anyone who says they don't is lying. Its called living. This has changed your whole life and you have to figure out how to live with this, so if you have cake once or twice a week, so freaking what. Just have a few bites and move on from it!!!