Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm hoping to get a surgery date in October or early November. I would really like to try to start loosing now, but I've been unsuccessful. It's just been difficult. Every time I try to diet or even just eat super healthy, I fail and gain more weight. Does anyone have any suggestions of what to do before surgery, besides the obvious "diet and exercise" I know that... But how should I go about it?

Like you, I'm also hoping for an October surgery date. I've been reading all of the pre op diet threads today and sort of been on the fence about this very issue.

I think once I get my date, and as long as the NUT and dr agree, I will just do my pre op diet a little longer. My psyc wasn't at all surprised to hear me say this either. She said its why she recommended the surgery for me..knowing that I'm 110% ready and head is in the game.

my first NUT appointment was nearly two months before my date. so since i only needed a three week "pre op, liver reduction diet" (which i'm on now and ugh, the next two weeks cannot go any SLOWER lol), she told me to still aim for 60-80 grams of Protein a day and stay very low carb. mostly low carb because carbs are a trigger for me. just by doing that, i lost 14lbs in three weeks.

That's awesome! My doctor said I didn't need a psych eval since I'm private pay, but I'm sure it couldn't hurt. Lol. But I know how that is to feel so ready. October is so close, yet it seems like it's a lifetime away!

And so high protein/ low carb is the way to go?

Your new life will be high n Protein so start making the move. Lots of Water, and constantly sipping along on it. Also no drinking while eating and 30 min afterwards is a good habit to start. Good luck!

Taper, don't go cold turkey. Get to no simple carbs (no sweets), no caffine, and no carbonation. Get to a diet that is Mostly lean meats, eggs, cottage cheese, etc. Don't worry about portions yet, just "detox"... And up the water!

It might take two weeks or so to get there...

The first steps I took were giving up carbonated drinks and journaling everything in myfitnesspal. Then I went on a 1600 calorie per day diet -- I lost weight on that and it's not as extreme as giving up carbs, going really low on calories, etc. At that point I wasn't watching my carbs at all. And my exercise started as just walking and I slowly built up to doing some low impact aerobics DVD's. I lost 40 lbs (over 8 months, so slowly) before starting the pre-op diet with these changes. The most important thing was that I got into the habit of entering every single thing I ate into myfitnesspal and being accountable for it. I even did it on days where I kind of fell off the wagon -- and I had plenty of those -- not just when I was being "good."

I'm hoping to get a surgery date in October or early November. I would really like to try to start loosing now' date=' but I've been unsuccessful. It's just been difficult. Every time I try to diet or even just eat super healthy, I fail and gain more weight. Does anyone have any suggestions of what to do before surgery, besides the obvious "diet and exercise" I know that... But how should I go about it?[/quote']

I wouldn't go on a diet. I would start to make lifestyle changes that you will have to make post op now. I eat Protein with every meal, make sure I eat at least 3 times a day, get in my Water, and maintain a food journal. I also have a personal trainer and work out three times a week. I work full time and have a pretty active lifestyle. I wanted to incorporate the lifestyle changes now so it wouldn't be so stressful post op.

Start by not drinking 30 mins pre and post meals. This is a very tough habit to change for most of us because we are all so accustomed to having a beverage along with out food. Even you are eating a snack don't drink anything at the same time. Establishing that change alone really helped me. For one thing I noticed that I felt full more quickly and also enjoyed my food more. Second, as others have said start journaling what you eat and pay attention to portion sizes. If you can start eliminating the junk food and focus on getting Protein first, then veggies and fruits and last you carbs such as bread, Pasta and rice. Take it one step at a time and don't anything drastic. The pre-op liquid fast (I assume you will be required to do that) is hard enough. Good luck to you!

pre-surgery weight 325; surgery date 2/28/2013; surgery weight 307; 8 weeks past-op weight 281.4; 12 weeks post-op 274; 4 month post-op 266.2; 5 month post-op 262.6; 6 month post-op 253.2

I've been doing the no Water thing for a month now. Still tough to do that one. Been logging my food for years now, slowly making the changes needed. No fizzy drinks, but do still have coffee a few ones a week. Even do a Breakfast Protein Shake every day.

I've noticed that if I start the day with anything else but the shake, I feel like garbage.

When you do pre-op, here are some of the things you will be giving up, many of which you wont pick up immediately post-op either. If you can start to transition off them slowly, it might help.

1. No caffeine

2. No sugar

3. Hardly any carbs

4. Much fewer calories than now

5. Protein shakes introduced daily

I gave up sugar one week. The next week I transitioned to fewer cups of coffee, and I substituted one meal with a shake. I cut calories to 1000-1200. Even so, the pre-op kicked my behind for the first four days.

I'd suggest you not start too far in advance. Knowing you're only doing this for a short time might help keep you on path because these aren't easy changes, and if you're hungry a lot, it's harder to sustain for long periods.

Glad you're thinking and planning ahead! Good for you.

Thank you all so much! This is so helpful!!! I just don't want to be stressed out when surgery time comes!!! :)

WHAT A GREAT Thread! WOW!!! I think the bottom line to all is... do some MINDFUL things. THINK!!!

My surgeon said to start on a high Protein, low carb diet, similar to the Adkins diet I did many years ago, right away. From the time I left his office for that first consult I have followed his plan.

I gradually weaned myself off of caffeine & carbonated sodas. I made my coffee with part Decaf & part regular coffee, gradually using more decaf & less regular until it was all decaf. I didn't have any symptoms of caffeine withdrawal & did not feel sleepy mid-morning as I used to if I hadn't had my coffee.

I didn't worry about portion sizes to start & didn't track calories but I started drinking a lot more fluids & walking some every day. I lost a total of 44 pounds from my first visit on April 25 until surgery on August 22.