Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone out there! So my surgery date is scheduled for the 16th of September. (yay can't wait) I have to start my pre op diet seven days before surgery and I was wondering if there is anyone out there who can tell me how it worked with their type 2 diabetes. I am just wondering what I might see and how others handled the juggling act of making sure your sugars don't go to low but also making sure they don't go to high either. Judging by the pre op diet I have a feeling that my sugar isn't going to decide to sky rocket but hey ya never know. So can anyone share their experience?

I also have (HAD!) type II diabetes; symptoms disappeared within a week or two! I only had to do a one-day pre-op liquid diet, and I didn't do sugar-free, except Isopure Protein Water. If my glucose level was a little low or I felt weakish, I would eat regular Jello, but just 3/4 of a cup or so.

If you are going to be on a liquid diet longer than that, then you really need to talk with your surgeon about it and find out what to do if your numbers get too high or low. Make sure you monitor your levels daily.

Congratulations! :)

I was thinking about being diabetic and post op. they monitored my blood sugar and I was always fine, but I just had my IV there for 36 hours. Do they give diabetics glucose in your IV if needed I guess?

Hello everyone out there! So my surgery date is scheduled for the 16th of September. (yay can't wait) I have to start my pre op diet seven days before surgery and I was wondering if there is anyone out there who can tell me how it worked with their type 2 diabetes. I am just wondering what I might see and how others handled the juggling act of making sure your sugars don't go to low but also making sure they don't go to high either. Judging by the pre op diet I have a feeling that my sugar isn't going to decide to sky rocket but hey ya never know. So can anyone share their experience?

I am diabetic and had a two week pre op diet, I just checked my blood sugar often many days I only took half of my meds or it would get too low. The last week I didn't take any because my blood sugar was in the 90's. after surgery my blood sugar went nuts! It was at 260! So they had to give me insulin at the hospital. The last 3 weeks since surgery I've just been monitoring it and some days I have to take meds other days I don't. It's still not stable. My surgeon said its normal and once I'm completely healed it will stabilize. But it's been getting better and the highest it's been since I've been home is 168. Time will tell I suppose.

By watching my carbs prior to surgery, my sugar always tested great but I was also on Glumetza daily. Once I started the 2 week pre-op diet, my PCP told me to drop the Glumetza (but the doc at the hospital where I was having the surgery told me I should stay on them...I decided to go with my PCP instead being that it costs me $200 per month for the Glumetza). I have felt fine & tomorrow I go back to my PCP to be tested & I'm 7 weeks out...so hoping I won't have to go back on them! I'm even hoping to be taken off another med!

With something as serious as Diabetes, I would ask your doc those questions. We're all just sharing our own personal experiences. Good luck to you!

With something as serious as Diabetes, I would ask your doc those questions. We're all just sharing our own personal experiences. Good luck to you!

Yeppers!!!

Some say that DM is 'addressed' before you are out of surgery...

I have/had type 2 diabetes. It is slowly disappearing. You should really check with your doctor. I was able to stop my oral meds for diabetes, and go down from 5 shots per day to 1 shot a day right now and my endocrinologist is hopeful by my next appointment I will be totally off everything! But seriously, check with your doc.

I was on a 2 week pre op diet of shakes and Clear Liquids, all sugar free. My numbers slowly started coming down to the point I did crash down to 55 3 days before surgery. At that point I was taken off one of my diabetes meds. I had my surgery on the 19th and went home on the 21st of August. My numbers were running between 90 and 120 almost immeditely. My Dr. took me off my other diabetes meds and I just have to monitor my numbers to make sure my body is still adjusting correctly. So far so good, numbers have been between 89 and 95 this week. Just watch your numbers and call you Dr if they start getting to low.

I haven't had any trouble really. I was even told to continue with my metformin (1000mg/1x day). Of course I'm a horrible diabetic who doesn't check my blood sugar

Hmm interesting to see all the different experiences. I definitely plan on being in close contact with my doc and endocrynologist the whole time but I was just curious about others experiences. Didn't even expect this many answers! This is my first post so it's cool to see that this group is so active love it!!!!!

I was told to stop all diabetes medication when I started the two-week Clear liquids + 4 Protein shakes a day but I knew I couldn't stop them completely. I had done a one-week trial of the diet a couple of months earlier & monitored my blood sugars very frequently. I did stop my Metformin 10 days before surgery because I was told it could interfere with the CT scan I would have the day after surgery.

However, I did do some experimenting to try & control my fasting sugars. They have always been high no matter what meds or what I ate but I would have frequent crashes during the night, down to the low 50s & once 41! Between me, my nut & my PCP I changed taking my NPH insulin 3 times a day rather than twice & cutting down on the regular. I used to take 20 u regular & 35 u NPH before Breakfast & 20 regular & 40 NPH before dinner & my Hgb A1c were 7.3-7.5. I was able to change to 20 u NPH before Breakfast & mid-afternoon & 12 u NPH a bedtime & only take 3-5 u regular if my blood sugar was over 150. That was while I was still on the high Protein low carb real food pre-op diet. On the clear liquids + Protein Shakes I went down to 15 u AM & afternoon & 3 u at bedtime. Only once did I have a blood sugar less than 70. It was 64 & I drank 2 oz. of regular apple juice.

Now that I'm 13 days post-op & still on clear liquids + Protein Shakes (for two more weeks), I take 12 u NPH AM & afternoon & 5 u NPH a bedtime. I still haven't restarted the Metformin & hopefully I won't ever have to.

So my suggestion, as a nurse & long-time diabetic, check your sugars often & keep in close contact with your PCP/endocrinologist & your nutritionist.