Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why am I not seeing any difference?

It took people at least 5 months to notice a difference for me! I was like, huh?! The changes that I saw in myself each month were subtle (I took pictures, too) but when we have a lot to lose, those 10 - 20 pounds don't show up as much as when someone only has 20 - 30 pounds to lose.

Don't weigh yourself every day (if you are) do it once a week and forget about the scale for the rest of the week. See it as a reward for your work during the week to check that scale once a week. You will have a more accurate account and not as much of a rollercoaster of up and down. .2 could be a few serious farts LOL!

And by all means, stop rushing yourself! :D You are only about 2 weeks post op. I know we all want to see buckets of weigh falling off and before you know it, it will be a few months down the road and you will be amazed at how much you have lost, but give yourself time. Focus on LIVING not waiting for the weight to come of. It WILL, but in the meantime LIVE don't wait. Keep on or start walking (exercising), look for interesting recipes to try, go shopping in your closet for things you haven't been able to wear.

It will work. I think the majority of us who have had the sleeve done think we are going to be that ONE PERSON who the surgery doesn't work for. But I know you can do this. Know why I know? Because I thought I was the one it wouldn't work for, and as you can see, it is working! Just wait till you are almost 11 months out like me it is the best feeling possible. And I am just someone who tried and failed miserably at losing weight many times. Now I am healthier, stronger and happier than I have been in ages. Meet me back here in 11 months and give me an update :D

Awesome post, I agree I thought I would be that person the sleeve wasn't going to work for either. All in due time.

Hang in there. The weight will start coming off.

I have lost weight, 47 pounds of it! But my body is still the same size. How many times do I have to repeat that? I do know that the slow weight loss since surgery is mostly due to the strict diet my surgeon has with only having Clear liquids & 3 Protein shakes a day for 4 weeks post-op. My body obviously thinks it's starving, & it is. But every one keeps saying when the scale isn't going down they go down in inches. Well, I'm not doing either!

I’m up another 0.5 pounds today! So frustrating. It must be the bacon bits I put in for flavor in the broth I made. It doesn’t seem to be a problem with salt, but, obviously, I just can’t handle preservatives. This is why my nutritionist has me weigh daily, to be able to make changes sooner.

I have lost weight' date=' 47 pounds of it! But my body is still the same size. How many times do I have to repeat that? I do know that the slow weight loss since surgery is mostly due to the strict diet my surgeon has with only having Clear Liquids & 3 Protein shakes a day for 4 weeks post-op. My body obviously thinks it's starving, & it is. But every one keeps saying when the scale isn't going down they go down in inches. Well, I'm not doing either!

I’m up another 0.5 pounds today! So frustrating. It must be the bacon bits I put in for flavor in the broth I made. It doesn’t seem to be a problem with salt, but, obviously, I just can’t handle preservatives. This is why my nutritionist has me weigh daily, to be able to make changes sooner.[/quote']

Sometimes when you have more to lose you don't see/feel it until you lose a lot more. I'm 53lbs down and some people don't even notice my weight loss. I also still fit in some of the same clothes from before I lost any weight. I started at 299lbs

As someone else mentioned, you may be losing the fat around your organs. It took a while for me to start actually losing inches around my waist, but I noticed I was getting "squishy" around my middle. Eventually the inches did start to move and I'm down almost 4 inches around my waist now, and I'm down to a size 20 from a snuggish size 24. It was certainly frustrating at first, though!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using VST

I am sorry. I can see you are frustrated. I hope that you continue to work the plan. Have you been able to see other improvements? Lowering of any meds, coming off them completely, more energy?

I would honestly say it took me 40+ pounds before it was even *a little* noticeable...and, now, at 70+ pounds it is definitely noticeable. What people say is true, the visual changes don't always tie to the loss on the scale and they take time to "catch up". Also, the earlier comment about losing visceral fat around your organs is very true.

I, too, take pictures (I do mine 1x a month), so, since you can't post yours, I'll post mine to try and illustrate

Ok, first side-by-side pic was May 1/June 1 and shows 32 pound loss...really subtle change.

Dates are on the second one, but that is 4 mo. Pic at 70 pounds

post-56425-13813669577062_thumb.jpg

post-56425-13813669578071_thumb.jpg

I know you are frustrated, and it is hard to trust the process, but I PROMISE that in no time YOU will be the one trying to reassure new post-ops that it will work itself out

So I've been measuring hips, waist, and bust. I'm stalled and I'm not losing inches in those three locations either.

But somehow, I can wear smaller size clothes than before. I have NO idea how that works except to think I'm losing weight somewhere other than those three places and that makes clothes fit differently. It's really not very logical and I have no way to explain it. Sounds like you may be going through that as well?

I have lost weight' date=' 47 pounds of it! But my body is still the same size. How many times do I have to repeat that? [/quote']

Wow! I just read this.....um. Sorry if these people, that took time out of their days to try and help you,were irritating to you!

Are you understanding that your on a high Protein diet that feeds your muscle mass? You may not be seeing a huge change in pictures or the scale because as your fat is being burned off your muscles are getting stronger and bigger, even with little exercise because of all the protein.

Plus your consuming loads of fluids. Does your scale measure Water weight? Before surgery my water weight was never over 25% now that I drink almost a gallon of water a day my water weight has climbed. which can keep your weight higher. And bloated so you wouldn't notice pants fitting looser

Wow! I just read this.....um sorry if these people that took time out of their days to try and help you were irritating to you!

I'm sorry you feel that way. I've tried very hard to explain. It's just that everyone seems to think that what I am concerned about is the very little weight I've lost since surgery. That's not it. I do understand that with my doctor's very strict post-op diet that my body is holding on to whatever it can because it is starving. My point is that I have lost almost 50 pounds in the last 4 months, a third of what I want to lose, & I still wear the same clothes I did at my starting weight. Clothes that were tight then are still tight now. I just think that 50 pounds should make some kind of difference other than numbers on the scale.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I've tried very hard to explain. It's just that everyone seems to think that what I am concerned about is the very little weight I've lost since surgery. That's not it. I do understand that with my doctor's very strict post-op diet that my body is holding on to whatever it can because it is starving. My point is that I have lost almost 50 pounds in the last 4 months, a third of what I want to lose, & I still wear the same clothes I did at my starting weight. Clothes that were tight then are still tight now. I just think that 50 pounds should make some kind of difference other than numbers on the scale.

I thought I had at least partially explained what I thought the answer to your dilemma was with the sizing thing...

Ok...an analogy!

If you take fifty gallons out of the ocean and take fifty gallons out of a swimming pool which one do you think you will notice more??

Mass! It's all about mass!

You will eventually see it! Trust me if you continue to lose weight it will eventually show!

It took me 35 pounds or so to even think about wearing a new size...

When I took phentermine awhile back I lost 50 pounds and still wore the same clothes. Like everyone here already said, the only thing you can do is give it time to catch up.

Yes, I do know the weight will come off as long as I follow the plan. It's disheartening that all the work so far hasn't made a difference except the number on the scale. I think that 50 pounds should make at least a little difference in how my clothes fit. That 5x dress that was too tight at 303 pounds shouldn't still be just as tight at 254 pounds.

It doesn't help that I'm only allowed Clear liquids & Protein shakes for another 2 weeks.