Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Putting my affairs in order......

Is it weird that I feel the need to get all the important documents, account numbers, social security cards and birth certificates together......put them in an envelope and write "just in case" on it?

I'm excited about my surgery and can't wait to begin my new life but at the same time I know it's major surgery and am aware of what could happen.

I'm having major anxiety, joy, nervousness, fear, anticipation, sadness, happiness, cautiousness, relaxed, excited, worried, helpless, powerlessness and hopeful.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Am I crazy to think and feel this?

nope it is surgery and things can happen. i was terrified, crying and writing letters to my loved ones just in case. if you believe in prayer do it, it helps, if not try to meditate and focus on positive things, dont put any negative vibes out there that something can or will go wrong. also remind yourself that worrying is a waste of time, ultimately it will have no impact on the outcome.

Hi my surgery is scheduled for September 11 and I am out of my mind with worry, I prayed and said I would leave it there then Saturday I lost a coworker friend due to a pulmonary embolism it had nothing to do with this type of surgery and I was told she had it before her scheduled surgery for something totally different but now I'm so worried I don't know what to do PLEASE HELP!!!!

I did the same thing. Gave my husband a sealed envelope with all of my account info and passwords. Then I wrote him a really long love note :) I did let him read the love note when I got home though.

I did the same thing. Gave my husband a sealed envelope with all of my account info and passwords. Then I wrote him a really long love note :) I did let him read the love note when I got home though.

And you will get home.

Sure you might be crazy, we all are a little, but the odds that you will make it home after surgery are Very Very VERY good.

I had my surgery on July 26th. I had all those feelings and emotions too. I pray and it definitely makes a difference for me! Now, make sure that when they are doing all of the pre-op tests and questions that you are honest about everything. Make sure you really think about your answers and don't leave anything out..even if you don't think it matters. That way all of you bases are covered.

Also, when you talk to the anesthesiologist make sure that you ask him all the questions you are thinking about. I had seen in one episode of Grey's Anatomy that a patient woke up in the middle of the surgery and also another when a patient was paralyzed but could feel what was happening. The anesthesiologist assured me that in his career he has never seen anything like that. That they have all sorts of safety measures in place and that's why they monitor all of your stats while you are having your surgery. I felt a little silly making comments about a TV show but it was on my mind so I said it to him and he answered my questions. I felt better. So just be honest and say what's on your mind! You are all going to do great!

Is it weird that I feel the need to get all the important documents' date=' account numbers, social security cards and birth certificates together......put them in an envelope and write "just in case" on it?

I'm excited about my surgery and can't wait to begin my new life but at the same time I know it's major surgery and am aware of what could happen.

I'm having major anxiety, joy, nervousness, fear, anticipation, sadness, happiness, cautiousness, relaxed, excited, worried, helpless, powerlessness and hopeful.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Am I crazy to think and feel this?[/quote']

Due to the nature of my job (work for the Army with Soldiers who are constantly deploying) I always brief that you should have all this stuff together always. I have a safe and two accordion folders that has all my important documents (will, back account info, life insurance policy, medical power of attorney, important info on my horses and dogs). My immediate family knows where the safe is and how to access it. I also have an executor of my estate who has a copy of all this and we discuss it each year the day before my birthday. I also have my entire funeral planned (where I am to be buried, songs to play, etc). I walk Soldiers through this every time they get ready to deploy. Morbid, yes. But when helping a family bury their Soldier I have seen how its been so beneficial to the family left behind. Point of all this. Look at this as you being prepared for anything, not just because of surgery. I am taking the time to talk to my executor prior to surgery though, so we go over my medical wishes just in case something happens.

I wrote my sister in law an letter and put it in a file on my laptop and let her know. It freaked her out and made her cry, but like I told her. I didn't think something would happen, but God forbid something happen I wanted to make sure that someone knew my wishes.

Actually, as a former funeral director, I cannot stress it enough to do this, in general and not just wait - but something like this does bring it up. I went through everything, and then double-checked. In a way, my sister coming in for my surgery was less for me, than it was to make sure if something happened my Hubby would not have been without family nearby.