Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating too quickly: Help slowing down!

I am now 2 months post op and I have developed a bad habit of eating my food far too quickly. This is leading me to overeat. Any tips on how to slow things down?

In between taking a bite of food, set your silverware down and chew your food. Only after you swallow, pick up your silverware and take another bite. Hope that helps.

Be glad that eating too quickly does not make you puke. That's what happens when I eat too fast. It happened a few times and I quickly learned to chew, chew, chew, and put my utensil down between bites. The NUT said it should take at least 10 minutes and not more than 20 minutes to eat my meal. Also do the Portion Control - max 1 cup of food for the first year they told me. I'm between 1/2 and 1 c most of the time.

I have having the same issues! I never throw up.....I just hurt! When was you sleeved? I was July 22, 2013

If you have a smart phone they have apps to help you eat slower. Look up bite timers. My doc says aeal should be no less than 20 and no more than 30 minutes. My timer is set for one minute between bites. Most of the time I am done before the 30 min mark as i am full. Portion Control stops overeating and the timer helps me slow it down! Hope that helps!

I learned to eat fast in Army basic training. If u didn't eat in 5 mins, u didn't eat. With my lapband, I rarely ate slow. Making me vomit alot. I'm scared to vomit with the sleeve so I've slowed down considerably, but I still eat way to fast for someone with only 15% of her stomach. Have vomited once. I've heard it takes the stomach 15 minutes to register with the brain that there's food in there. If you eat too fast, u run the risk of putting too much in.

I'm so guilty of this. Good luck!

thanks everyone for the tips. It's very helpful. I unfortunately don't throw up but it sometimes results in feeling a lot of pain and of course I'm concerned that I will stretch my sleeve if I don't get it under control. I think it's because I miss food (emotionally) and when it's in front of me I just want to inhale it like I did pre-sleeve. I will definitely try the timer.