Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long post-op did you need shakes?

I like the grape, orange and coconut flavored ones. :-)

What flavors would you recommend trying?

I'm doing a shake in the morning too. Are you doing the rest with just food? That gives me hope that maybe in a few weeks I might get there too.

Yes, I drink 1 shake a day which is 30 grams, then I usually get another 40-50grams from food. I eat 650-800 calories per day.

What flavors would you recommend trying?

I used to drink the Coconut Isopure (I have tried every flavor and it is the ONLY one I like)- I would mix it half Isopure, half Water and then add a splash of Orange Tangerine Juicy juice. I drank that every day for the first two weeks when I was on liquids. You would think that watering down the Isopure would make it worse, but it really helps disguise the flavor and then with the shot of juice, it wasn't really that bad.

My advice is buy one of each of the flavors of Isopure and taste them all because we all are different, and all like different flavors.

I'll be 7 months post op tomorrow and use shakes daily.

so nice to hear everyones stories! I will have surgery in Nov of this yr.

Can everyone please comment on their favorite shake brand and recipe??

Thanks

What flavors do you find...um...least yucky? :)

The orange and grape frost, watered down and on ice, have worked for me. They all have a chalky aftertaste that's weird, but I'm getting used to it. It's a relief to get Protein in that way.

I stopped using shakes at around the 2 month mark. I now get everything from food.< /p>

so nice to hear everyones stories! I will have surgery in Nov of this yr.

Can everyone please comment on their favorite shake brand and recipe??

Thanks

I cannot drink premade Protein Drinks anymore. My typical morning shake is Target Market Pantry 100% whey Protein vanilla with 6 oz 1% milk, 2 tsp cocoa powder, and 1/2 tsp instant espresso with 4 ice cubes in the blender.

I've bought the powder sampler from Sytrax Matrix and those were good. EAS 100% Whey is good (chocolate and vanilla but I don't stomach chocolate as easily) and I like designer whey french vanilla

If you do not like Protein Shakes, there is an alternative.Brand names if allowed, I use the Unjury chicken Soup Protein Powder and it is really yummy, they also have unflavored Protein powde, which can be used in anything. Might be a way to get your protein without having a Protein Shake. Me, myself and I like the protein shakes as long as the protein powder taste good. My nutritionist wants me between 64- 84 gms of protein,this is easy eating 3 meals and 2 Snacks, which I think is better eating than only 3 times a day.

I wanted to thank all of you who posted. I got some great ideas, and it also forced me to look at the Protein content of what I was eating.

One thing that amazes me about this surgery is how quickly things change post-op. Day 2 you can barely drink, day 5 you're getting in all your Proteins and liquids! Last week I couldn't get in all my protein through food, now I'm down to only one shake a day.

I realized that eggs were really filling me up but each only had 6 gms of protein. In contrast, I can eat 4 oz of cottage cheese or a small container of Greek yogurt for between 10-14 gms of protein, and so I added one each of those a day. I now drink my coffee shake in the morning, but the rest of the protein is coming from real food.

So thank you all for taking the time to help me!

Yes, the Protein content is surprisingly and disappointingly low.

Happy to hear things are rapidly improving for you!

Only had a couple after surgery but never again!

So I'm about 5 weeks post op and I do 1 Protein Shake a day. I use the Pure Protein powder and 1 scoop is 25g of protein and 150 calories with milk that's 35g of protein and 250 calories. My protein goal is 60-70 a day and I get half my protein from this shake. It's good in vanilla and kind of taste like piña colada to me but its easy for me to drink in 30-45 mins. I drink it for Breakfast or snack or lunch. My schedule has been looking like this:

Breakfast: 1 large scrambled egg with 2%cheese

Mid morning: pure protein shake

Lunch: tuna salad or ground chicken

Mid afternoon: Dannon oikos Greek yogurt 12g protein

Dinner: ground meat, spinach/broccoli/green Beans or sweet potatoes

I am wondering if anyone feels full after Protein Shakes or if you get hungry shortly after drinking one. I can go about 2 hours after a Protein Drink then I start to get growling in my stomach, and I am hungry again. I am trying to differentiate between head hunger and real hunger, but in my world growling tummy equals hunger.