Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sushi?

As I close in on 6 weeks post op, I was wondering if anyone has heard advice regarding eating sushi? Thanks

Haven't heard any advice. My NUT discouraged the rolls with rice, and since I don't eat the raw stuff (I know, cheater-sushi) I've pretty much stayed away. I did have some California rolls at about 3 months post op, but I couldn't eat much so I figured I'd wait until sometime later.

I'm cleared to eat sushi as long as there is no rice involved. Was cleared at the soft foods stage which for me was 8 weeks post-op. I haven't tried it yet because I don't have anywhere I can buy just 1-2 pieces of sushi, and I know I couldn't get through a whole box before they go bad.

Haven't heard any advice. My NUT discouraged the rolls with rice, and since I don't eat the raw stuff (I know, cheater-sushi) I've pretty much stayed away. I did have some California rolls at about 3 months post op, but I couldn't eat much so I figured I'd wait until sometime later.

Thanks, I figured the rice was not good right away, I was more uncertain if there was a bacteria issue. (meanwhile i was sushi junkie before surgery)

I'm cleared to eat sushi as long as there is no rice involved. Was cleared at the soft foods stage which for me was 8 weeks post-op. I haven't tried it yet because I don't have anywhere I can buy just 1-2 pieces of sushi, and I know I couldn't get through a whole box before they go bad.

Wow, i think I could eat one order's worth, but who knows... I probably am a bit early, I'll call my Dietician hotline on Tuesday, but appreciate the feedback

I'd say it's probably early for you to try sushi, but I can certainly have it this far out. The rice doesn't feel great sitting there, but I don't have much.

As I close in on 6 weeks post op' date=' I was wondering if anyone has heard advice regarding eating sushi? Thanks[/quote']

I am not a susi eater but I tried rice when I was about 6 weeks out an it was the worst. It felt as if it was ever expanding in my sleep. It was very uncomfortable to say the least. I would say hold off at this point due to the rice.

As I close in on 6 weeks post op' date=' I was wondering if anyone has heard advice regarding eating sushi? Thanks[/quote']

I am not a sushi eater but I tried rice when I was about 6 weeks out an it was the worst. It felt as if it was ever expanding in my sleeve. It was very uncomfortable to say the least. I learned that night the important of following the food plan and its time lines for introducing certin foods back in my life. (Im hard headed) I would say hold off at this point due to the rice.

Because of this website I had the courage to ask for no rice sushi. Would never have done that before. Of course they thought I was nuts, spent ten minutes asking chef if it was okay. He said it was and now I love to eat it like that. But now I have to ask for smaller width pieces. The are much to big to put in your mouth and chew. The seaweed is almost impossible to bite in half. I can have three pieces and take three pieces home for dinner. They are not nearly as long without rice.

food for thought :)

I order one spicy tuna hand roll, no rice, wrapped with soy paper, avacado and thin slices of cucumber. Fills me up and is soooo yummy :-)

I am not a susi eater but I tried rice when I was about 6 weeks out an it was the worst. It felt as if it was ever expanding in my sleep. It was very uncomfortable to say the least. I would say hold off at this point due to the rice.

I saw rice listed as a potentially difficult food, I hadn't thought it expanding, but that is really good feedback, thanks!