Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

columbus ohio lapband surgeon?

I am having my lap band surgery done at OSU in columbus by Dr Needlemam. Everyone has been wonderful so far. I have no had my surgery schedualed yet. I also looked into Fresh start at riverside and since I was a self-pay they wouldn't take me.

Hi Juli,

I just saw this post and am really excited to find you. I too am scheduled for my procedure with Dr. Mikami for May 23rd. I don't meet him until May 7th and can't wait. I'm anxious to hear any advise you can send my way!

Hi, How long did it take before you where informed of your Dr appt after you got through the phyiclolgist and dietian appt. I passed both and was just wondering how long it will be before I get a letter telling me of my Dr appt. I hate the waiting.

I got a phone call after they had a meeting where the team reviewed my case. Then I had to take the 4 weeks of nutrition classes, then I got a date to meet Dr. Makami. When I met him I got my surgery date.

January they reviewed me. Mid Feb I was done with classes and met the doctor. March 8th had surgery.

OH Julie,

Thank's so much for the info. Hopefully I will have a surgery date some time in June. I am so excited to be on my way to loosing weight. I have already started to drink more Water and give up my diet coke. I was told carbonated beverages are a no no by the dietian. I was told I could do the classes with a local dietian. I can't wait to get started on the classes.

Did you have to stay at OSU overnight or did they let you go home the same day? Any insite you can give me would be appricaed.

Tyanna

I stayed one night in the hospital. Dr. Mikami requires that. I was happy to stay that night. My surgery didn't happen until 1:30 pm and I wasn't in my room until 6pm.

I had classes with OSU's nutritionist. Where are you at that you're not local?

As for other insights, ask me specifics or I'll ramble on forever. :D

I love my band and I really love OSU. I was scheduled at Barix and my insurance denied the surgeon there. It delayed my surgery but I couldn't be more confident in the care I received/am receiving.

OH Julie,

Thank's so much for the info. Hopefully I will have a surgery date some time in June. I am so excited to be on my way to loosing weight. I have already started to drink more Water and give up my diet coke. I was told carbonated beverages are a no no by the dietian. I was told I could do the classes with a local dietian. I can't wait to get started on the classes.

Did you have to stay at OSU overnight or did they let you go home the same day? Any insite you can give me would be appricaed.

Tyanna

Hello! I am looking for a fill doctor in the central Ohio area. I am going to Mexico to have my lap band surgery done b/c I am self-paying for the procedure.

Mike, I went to Mt. Carmel's bariatric program and have had great success and I loved my surgeons. I also participate in a locally organized informal support group where we meet at the Polaris Mall and have coffee and help support each other. We represent OSU, Mt. Carmel, Riverside, and Dr. Curry in Cincy (self-pay). I don't think we have had anyone join us from the Barix program but its a nice casual opportunity to talk with folks from all the different programs if you'd like. Look under the Columbus thread and/or a bandster named HeatherA usually posts a thread where we say the next get together will be.

Hello! I am looking for a fill doctor in the central Ohio area. I am going to Mexico to have my lap band surgery done b/c I am self-paying for the procedure.

Hi Sweetbean,

My husband Dane had his surgery in Mexico, We drive to Michigan for his fill doc and it's about 4hr drive there and back about 8hrs round trip. We have had nothing but good experience with his fill doc. If you would like more info I would gladly give you more please email me at azleester@gmail.com Thanks. Look forward to hear from you. Azleester

Mike: I know of several in Columbus. There is the OSU Bariatrics Center at OSU. I am comfortable with their expertise but I am disappointed with their bedside manner and how long the process is. I am also familiar with Mt. Carmel's Bariatric Surgeons and I have heard nice things about both.

I was extremely happy with the program at Ohio State (so is my wife) A friend of my wife and her husband went the Mt Carmel program around the same time we did. My observation was that with our insurance (Ohio Health) OSU required less up front money. Mt Carmel demanded more up front and they later re-imbursed.

I was banded by Dr. Mikami at OSU. Barix was out of network for my insurance.

Another fan of Dr Mikami as well.

I know that OSU has taken someone from up Findley...but she had complications with her original band. But check them out for fills. I'm sure each group has a different policy.