Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Melbourne Chat Thread!!!!

Its the codeine in it that is the bad stuff unfortunately and thats what would have made the pain go away :) I found it hard not being able to just pop the pills I was so used to taking too (advil's not allowed either and I used to take them for my back pain). I even had to get the anti inflammatory I HAD to take for my back (I would have been a cripple with out it) in a soluble form.

So I just made an appointment for another fill next Wednesday. I've eaten like a pig the last 2 days, so the restriction I *thought* I had was a fleeting moment. I don't know if the hungriness has anything to do with being PMS-ing, but I guess it could do. Either way, now that I have had a glimpse of what proper restriction is like (for those couple of days last week) I know what I am looking for, and I want it back!!!!!

Hi all

Just a quick Hi to Bronnie and congratulations on joining all the bandsters on here :clap2: Hope you are feeling alot better today. Will catch u all after work. Have a great day

Hi All, Way to go Meredith!:clap2: Love the dress. I wouldn't be brave enough to wear a strapless dress, what with my turkey arms.:biggrin1:

Dionne thanks for the instructions re the ticker. Probably still won't be able to do it coz I am hopeless with all that stuff. How are you going?

Hi Loretta, it is nice to hear from you.

Susannah

mmmmmmmmmmmm.... Ive got a question... My post op instructions say to have either panadol or pandeine 4-6hrly as required. It doesnt mention liquid or soluable form. Can i get panadeine in anything other than tablet form. Im confused.... others on another site have used tablets cut in pieces with no problems. Please advise as i want to do the correct things...

Hi Bronster, I had soluable panadeine rapid 4-6 hourly. I endorse what Meredith said re the Nurofen. My surgeon said no Advil/Nurofen etc etc. Susannah

Gday Gals and Mark( I know your lurkin!:biggrin1: ), Does anybody know what the sutures holding the band in place are made of? Are they made of material that is of a high strength? Industrial type strength? Light strength? They wouldn't be easy to split would they? My haven't so don't worry, I am just curious is all.Susannah

Hi All,

Meredith, you look soooo happy and the dress looks great, I know I will be able to look back on my pics one day and be surprised at myself but it all just seems so far away now. Keep up the good work, how far away is the big day???

Thx for the advice on the nurofen, thankfully I've only used it a couple of times since surgery, but I'll stay away now.

Still feels a bit surreal for me now, lots to keep thinking about.

Can anyone give me an example of a days eating??? pls

......... and exercise I know we are all differnt I would just like to see any common denominators.

Hi Bronnie. Gald to hear you are doing well even if abit uncomfortable. as for the soluble panadiene- not sure if it exists but the lquid pain stop that was mentioned in another post is similar i think. Ask your pharmacist. You may be ok with tablets cut into small chunks.

Sorry I did not check in before this but I spent the weekend in hospital myself with band issues- Ihad to be unfilled completely, the top up i had on friday obstructed me completely and it was 37 celcius- I dehydrated badly- then they could not find anyone to unfill me so it was iv fluids only until they got hold of someone who was confident in accessing the port. Lesson learnt- never have an aggressive fll on a firday arvo before a holiday weekend!

Dionne

my typical days eating

break fast

sanitarium up and go drink or sloppy porridge

lunch

baked Beans (the tiny cans)

1 to 2 cruskits (sometimes)

dinner

75grams cooked minced chicken or turkey

cooked with zucchini, onion, mushroom, capcicum

with a sauc made from sweet chil sauce, plum suace and Water

total volum would be a about a cup

snack( occasionally)- individual tub of peaches or purreed apple etc

I had 3 mls in the band and he added another 3 on friday, its a swedish band and I think from memory it has a 9ml capacity. He did not tell me how much he was putting in unitl after the event- i proabably would have asked hime to only put in 1.5ml. O h well, no real harm done, jsut a frustrating uncomfy weekend. the bigger issus is that I took up a hospital bed for the weekedn because no one felt comfortable accessing the port. Not sure if it was fear on the Dr's part or politics ( one dr not wanting to mess with anothers patient) I will have a chat to surgeon about it when I see him. Not sure how long he will make me wait for a refill

I had such a good day yesterday with minimal pain. Went to bed at 9pm and even managed to lie on my side. Then............

woke up at midnight and the pain was really bad. so.... here i sit at 5am an unhappy banster again. I hate pain!!!!

Karen, the same thing happened to my Dad when he was sent to hospital by his GP with a bowel issue (ended up being a blood clot in his intestines). The Dr at the 1st hospital he went to wouldn't even touch him cos of his band, so I had to go pick him up and take him to the hospital our surgeon works out of and he had to wait hours for the surgeon to turn up. And he was in hospital for 2 weeks because they wouldn't do anything to him without consulting his surgeon, even though the problem had NOTHING to do with his stomach or band, it was in his small intestines and totally non band related. I mean I can understand their caution, but when the surgeon had cleared him to another Dr you'd think it'd be ok. So take heed guys! If you ever go into hospital expect the run around, because even the mention of a lap band makes most Dr's go running!! And yeah, 3mls more is a big jump in fill!!

Bronnie, sorry about your crappy night! The worst is almost over! It all gets better from here (after day 5), the others will vouch for this too I'm sure!

Hi.... i hope your right as tomorrow is day 5 and although all has improved i still feel lousy.

Im having trouble with fluids... i dont feel like anything and have to force myself to even have a few sips. My upper abdo is quite distended and it looks like ive got a balloon under my top ( bigger one than usual anyway!!!).....

i got on the scales and have dropped 2.5 kg in 4 days.... is that normal??? hey... im not complaining but i dont want to lose too much too quick and risk a slippage or complications.

Apparently my surgeon will most likely do a fill on 23/3 (2 weeks post op). Will he do one even though im losing weight anyway? Am i correct to assume there is no Fluid in the band currently, if thats the case why do i feel full even though my intake is so low??... i didnt ask when i was banded.

You feel full because of the swelling, for me that lasted about 8 weeks before I needed a fill. I lost heaps in that time, you cant really avoid losing weight fast at first if that's the way your body wants to go.

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time, I was home the day after and headed out for a 3km walk, I had no pain afterwards whatsoever, never even needed Panadol. I'm one of those infuriating people that could drop a baby in the rice paddy and keep working, as if nothing had happened, lol.

Two weeks is reasonable I think to feel lousy, tired and not yourself. If it lingers too long after that you'd need to speak to your doc but everyone has different recovery times, pain thresholds etc and it is pretty major surgery, so its not odd to be feeling like you do. Hang in there!

Well i had my appointment with my new band Dr today and the news isn't good:cry

As soon as i explained my symptoms he rushed me over for a Barium Swallaw scan thing and as expected my band has slipped. So as long as I get an all clear from my OBGYN on Friday then it looks like i'll be going in for a removal of the band on the 23rd of this month.

Right now i'm feeling scared, annoyed and down right p***ed off. According to the new Dr, i've probably got a hiatial (sp?) hernia which is what started the problems, and he couldn't understand why it was allowed to go on for so long (10 mths).

I feel like going in to the old Dr and totally giving him a piece of my mind. For month he made me feel like i was over reacting, and even after i fell pregnant he still didn't do anything and allowed my baby to be put at risk like this.

I'm sry for the long rant guys but i'm scared for my baby during this operation, but the Dr said that the risks out weight in this situation. He dosn't think it's safe for me to go another 3-4 mths with a slipped band.

I'm off now to have a good cry/scream lol