Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

does it never just not work?

worried after all of this I won't end up loosing weight.

sclark

i always knew this board was filled with smart people (after all i am a member :lol: )

you'll usually/mostly/always receive great advice

and much support too of couse

you will be eating so few calories, you must/will lose weight

if/when you eat as your told, and follow the many rules there shouldn't be any reason for not losing weight

since you are new with food questions, heres a reminder of important stuff (you probably already know this but)

drink as much as you can - 64 oz at least

stop drinking about 1/2 an hour before you eat

NEVER,EVER drink with your meals (people have been shot for less ;) )

do not, not, not drink for 45-60 minutes after you eat

always eat your Protein first (chicken, fish et al) - about 60 gr

others comments also,you shouldn't use a straw, no soda (carbonation prob)

i say the above with "do whatever your NUT tells you"

eat small portions

chew thorougly

eat slowly, putting fork down between bites

some NUTS might give different time periods/instructions

ALWAYS listen to your NUT/surgeon first (then me of course :lol: )

i'm not even gonna mention the M&M's or chili thing

i'm sure you were suffering from temporary insanity ;) )

all the bad stuff you mentioned.....

knock it off!!! :lol:

i have confidence in you newbie

good luck

kathy

I had surgery on the 19th. My doc had me on soft foods on day 3. I am only eating 1/4c at each meal. I don't seem to have trouble with anything and I can't tell if i'm full or not but I stop because I don't want to throw up. I went out to eat with a friend today for the first time, I had blackened Talapia, and mashed clauflower. I even had a very sm bite of bread. It went down great. I also have felf like maybe it didn't work because I can eat and drink everything I have tried so far!!!

The point of the sleeve is to "help" you limit food intake. It won't (in most cases) make you sick throw up or dump, if you eat the wrong things.

The weight loss and KEEPING that weight off is still entirely in our hands. My sleeve does not jump out of my stomach and slap the crap out of my hands. The fact of the matter I can still eat junk AND it goes down easier than the dense Protein.

I am the one in control.

I guess the only thing I would ask is why are you testing your limits?

My sleeve does not jump out of my stomach and slap the crap out of my hands.

That really did make me laugh out loud! Thanks for that visual.

Goodness, NO! It sounds like you didn't make dietary changes prior to the surgery. You have to give up sugar. Why go through all of this for nothing? I would recommend that you talk with your Dr. Did you have a team of people helping you? It doesn't sound like the plan is working, especially if you make poor diet choices. I had my surgery on July 22 and I wasn't that big (204) I've lost 24lbs, but watching my diet.

I was having the exact same doubts as you for the passed 3 weeks or so out of this whole month after my surgery. Thinking I've got practically no restriction...the surgeon should have taken out more...I'm failing this thing yada yada. Honestly, it took me the whole 3 weeks to realize that for some odd reason, my stomach can handle whatever I throw at it, as long as I stop when I'm full (actually before than, otherwise I feel tightness now, which I never did the first 3 weeks). I just eat teeny tiny spoons and wait a sec or two....I put that spoon down too. And once I even remotely "sigh" while I'm eating. I'm done! No matter what!

Fact is, some people will get super uncomfortably or painfully full after eating a tablespoon. Others will blow chunks all over the place. And some of us....will be jealous of those people like nothing else!!!! This is just what it is. The thing is, you need to realize (like I did, finally....garsh I'm stubborn!) that you DID have the surgery and your stomach IS SUPER NUMB right now, so you won't even realize that the last tablespoon or two you just swallowed down...may have ripped a serious whole right through your newly incised stomach. There is simply no chance that you are failing the surgery biologically, but if you keep eating without counting spoons, and putting down the spoon....you will be failing the surgery as a tool to lose that weight!

I feel the same way you do sometimes...and just want to shout. But hey, I'm down 16lbs plus some in this month alone...have only 23lbs till mid goal...and 60 till super thin lifetime goal!!!! That means someones doing something right! I've been making food in portions. Teeny tiny portions. I don't even wait for the full (sigh) signal anymore, I just eat that small portion of 5-6 small spoons and leave it at that. If I get hungry again...I'll just have another portion. So what...the way I'm cooking my food keeps my calories and carbs super low, and Protein super high. So that's all that matters, I can have a portion or two more if I really want to.

Fact is, you're doing fine. And the sleeve is totally working for you hun! Now, the difference is it'll take some time to adjust into that tightness...and even if you never get there (sorta like me...lol) then you can rely on practicing "I'm full" signals. Whichever they may be for you. The sigh test worked for me for the first 3 days only, after that I learned exactly how much I needed to be full PLUS I learned the difference between satisfied and full/going to pop and can stop well before the sigh...and be super duper happy after a meal...as opposed to super duper depressed, guilty and worried that I am eating to much to succeed.

My suggestion is...don't rely on any restrictions. Just trust that you have a much smaller stomach now, and no matter what you can put in it and get away with it. The point of the entire surgery is that you USE IT LIKE A TOOL! ;). Just eat enough to get rid of the ravenous hunger feeling (if you have that like me, otherwise just count those spoons lucky you! ;) ). And put that spoon down and call it a day. Oh and if you've a stomach of steel like me (and if you're a guy...you probably do lol)...and can pretty much digest anything from the first day out (including those ruddy m&ms....LOL) just remember, sticking to you post-op diet is going to make you super charge that weight loss. And even one stinking bit of sugar can screw it all up, and WILL add even more cravings for sugar and useless carbs!

Don't worry too much hun...I did, and it didn't get me anything haha! Just stick to that post-op diet, stick to those phases, and move at the pace the doc wants you to. This way, YOU CANT BE THE GUILTY ONE lol. Plus, you'll lose a boat load of weight eating so restrictively. It's only to you're benefit hun!

Good luck! :D

P.S.

No one says you need to stay hungry ok. Just make better food choices. Plus, I realized something HUGE this week...which is stupid since everyone and they're mother was repeating this to me for ages but I'm too stubborn to listen.........DRINK YOU'RE WATER!!!! I swear...I thought it was all bull! LOL. But no, honestly between my 2 litres of Water a day, and my 2 Protein shakes a day...I barely want to touch anything food related...it can be pizza for all I care...It ain't going anywhere NEAR my mouth after I've had a shake lol.

it is so interesting to me that we all have such different experiences. i can drink Water and Protein Shakes at a pretty decent speed, until i have eaten food. after i eat food i am so easily filled for the rest of the day i find it annoying. when i am eating, i dont have any special signal, the entire time i eat it is as though the food is pushing any gas in my body out. the meal is usually over for me when i eat food and dont expel any gas (charming dinner mate huh?) it literally feels like the gas has to leave for the food to have room. i havent thrown up although my aunt was sleeved very near my date and she does all the time. also even though i was sleeved after her i think i can eat more in volume than she can. 3/4 a can of chili sounds like a lot to me and i would probably be freaking out too if i was you. i am amazed at how quickly i get full. it takes me way longer to prepare the meal than it does to consume it, but i dont think this is true for everyone. my surgeon gave me a handout that said eat 1/4 - 1/2 c, but dont ever eat more than 1/2c at a time (im 10 days out) so clearly some people can. maybe just try to eat more slowly? i am having the hardest time not drinking i AM SO THIRSTY but if i drink 30 min after it doesnt get rid of my fullness so im figuring its ok.