Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ever sick of Band?

I have been banded for a year. I have only lost 40 pounds. I am thankful for the 40 but everyone around me has lost much much more. I can barely eat any thing. I get sick often. I just don't know why the weight is coming off so slow. Before I was banded I didn't know that you would constantly be aware of your band. Sometimes it even hurts to drink. The doctor tells me to watch everthing I eat (which i do) and exersize(don't do enough) but if I could do all that why would I need tis band. I have visited this sight since before my surgery, it has given me lots of great info. Maybe I am just venting or maybe some of you have felt the same.

It may be time to have an endoscopy to check the positioning of your band. I don't think being unable to eat, or sometimes drink without pain is normal. I believe these types of problems are what causes some people to eat around the band, and only eat unhealthy foods.

At least having it done will let you know whether or not all is well---if it is, you can relax, and try to get more exercise in, thinking that maybe as the weight goes down further, the pain will lessen, and you will feel the band less. If it is in a bad position, has slipped, or you have a dilation, then you can take the necessary steps to fix that, and let the band work as it is supposed to.

I think sometimes Dr.s shrug us off, when they don't know what else to tell us. We pay them---and if he will not help you get the tests you need, find another Dr. Even if it is simply a general practitioner---he should be able to order an endoscopy---my SIL's local PCP had hers done,and the results were shared with the band Dr. which resulted in a temporary unfill, while her band settled back into place. She has now started refilling, and is doing MUCH better, both in feeling and in weight loss!

Keep us posted...and if simply venting it helps---keep that up too!!!

Good Luck

Kat

It doesnt sound normal to me - I'd get it checked out. Especially after a year, you'd think you'd be getting really into the groove of it all.

Although I am always "aware" of my band in that every time I eat I have to remember to do so slowly. I had my first ever PB last week after 13 months of banding and I did feel a little mourning after that for my old life and the freedom to just eat anything without thinking about it.

I am considered a slow loser at 1 lb a week but it really adds up. I don't really think too much about being banded. I don't miss fattening food very much. I would like to be able to eat a 6" sub from Subway but I can't now. I just go with the flow. I've reached my sweet spot and things are moving along nicely now. Good luck.

Thanks everyone for your input. I am not just aware of my band when eating(I am always careful) Its when I am not eating that it bothers me. I have lots of saliva & nausea. I think I will take your advice and push my Dr a little more to check it out. Thanks again guys!

Sometimes a little bit of an unfill, makes eating/drinking more comfortable.

Yes, I do get sick of the band but realize that this is something that I NEED to get used to. It will take me a long while to get over my mental issues with food.

The great thing is that I've maintained my weight since this summer. I would have never done it without the band.

Shawn

What exactly are you able to eat? Can you eat Protein, small bites slowley, like fish, chicken, steak? Sounds like you could be a tad overfilled and might not be getting enough calories and your body had hit the starvation mode where its going to hold onto anything you give it.

You guys have done great. To tell the truth since my fill at the end of Nov. I haven't been able to eat much. I try to get my Protein f(chicken, fish, fillets). I usually can't eat until after 2pm or it comes up. I have trouble taken my medicine also. As I said even drinking hurts. I have an appt. tomorrow to get a little taken out. I guess I have just been trying to tough it out. I really want to lose. Thanks guy for all your help.

I'm pretty tight and have found that having something hot to drink before I eat helps a lot. I hope your doctor's visit improves your situation.

Roberta

Crazy Lady I have a feeling after your appointment tomorrow and that unfill of a little you're going to be pleased with your band again. If you're unable to eat the right amounts of Protein and other foods your body will go into starvation mode. Sounds like that's what it's doing. Also, if you're band is too tight even your own stomach acids from the lack of eating will start to bubble up because it can't get down. Let us know how you make out with the unfill. Good luck!

I suffered with an overfilled band for 5 weeks. I was excited that the weight was dropping off but frustrated that I could barely drink any liquid, especially during the New Years weekend. I had 3.6cc in a 4cc band. Now, I have 2.8cc and it feels great! I still have some restriction but no hunger or pain. I was PBing like crazy when I was overfilled. Not even an issue now.

Good luck!

PatU

I am going in on Friday to see my surgeon. I have been having a lot of trouble since my last fill in November. I think I need a little unfill. It's gotten worse lately, but I think that is more to do with irritation of the esoph and stoma than anything else. I was also in a car accident last week and am having more trouble since then. I don't think my band slipped, I am able to keep down hot liquids, but can't do anything cold with out spitting it all back up and food is out of the question. I am hoping an unfill and a little less pressure/swelling will do the trick.

Keep your fingers crossed.

I went to my Dr & they agreed I was way to tight. They removed half of what I had @ my last fill. I drank coffee this morning & it didn't come flying back up, YEA! I still have some restriction but the saliva issue is better and the gurgling is better. (That was getting a little embarrassing in public) I also have an appointment with an Endocrinologist to work on my thyroid( in the past I have only seen my PCP) They Dr.s seem to think my thyroid is an issue with my slow progress.

I have been remodeling my kitchen for a couple of months and today I am excited about it again. I had really been in a food depression. I fill better already about starting to cook in my new kitchen.

roiansmom, I hope you have the same luck I have. I think when your too tight and sick alot, you irritate your esophagus. When they take a little out you you won't be sick as much and your esophagus will heal. I wouldn't let them take to much unless they feel you have some other problem maybe caused by your accident. Good luck!!