Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What am i doing wrong?

I think she should reduce cals to 600-800 for a few days that's what I read someone else telling another on here with same problem... My nutritionist said I'm good with 800 cal/day

Sounds to me like you are really hitting the exercise hard....Don't forget that muscle weighs more then fat.....And you are probably building muscle....take advantage of the so called stall and allow your body to catch up....Your body is a wonderful tool...It will protect you and care for you...It looks after you and compensates for the things that go wrong.....I would give my right arm to be as close to 199 lbs.....Hey if I did lose my right arm I might!!!! LOL

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat. Muscle takes up less space and is more dense. You are burning fat and building muscle. I'm guessing if you are tracking your measurements you will notice bigger number results. Also your clothing will tell the tale.

Quit weighing yourself daily and try to break the mindset that a plateau or stall is a bad thing. Our bodies have a lot to adjust to with this surgery and subsequent deficiencies and weight loss.

As long as you are making good decisions fueling your body then your results will make themselves known.

In the mean time remember, you've traumatized your body with this surgery. Try not to second guess how it adapts to this trauma. Make good balanced choices and do a challenging yet safe exercise regiment and quit fighting nature.

a pound is a pound, whether it be a pound of muscle, or a pound of fat. The difference is, there could be a pound of fat sitting on a table next to a pound of muscle, and the pound of muscle would look much smaller than the pound of fat. It takes more fat to equal a pound than muscle.

Let me give you a better illustration...

I know two women of the same height and weight--both are 5'9'' and 155 lbs. One, however, looks significantly overweight, with flabby arms and an untoned stomach, and one looks very thin and athletic. How is this possible, when they both weigh the same? Well, one woman is composed of mainly fat, and one is composed of hardly any fat. The athletic woman simply has toned arms and legs and strong abs, which result in a lot of muscle, making her weigh as much as an overweight woman of the same height.

saw this on a health post....O

I have always been told that muscle weighs more then fat.....density is the difference...ok..I learned something today..... :)

a pound is a pound, whether it be a pound of muscle, or a pound of fat. The difference is, there could be a pound of fat sitting on a table next to a pound of muscle, and the pound of muscle would look much smaller than the pound of fat. It takes more fat to equal a pound than muscle.

Let me give you a better illustration...

I know two women of the same height and weight--both are 5'9'' and 155 lbs. One, however, looks significantly overweight, with flabby arms and an untoned stomach, and one looks very thin and athletic. How is this possible, when they both weigh the same? Well, one woman is composed of mainly fat, and one is composed of hardly any fat. The athletic woman simply has toned arms and legs and strong abs, which result in a lot of muscle, making her weigh as much as an overweight woman of the same height.

saw this on a health post....O

I have always been told that muscle weighs more then fat.....density is the difference...ok..I learned something today..... :)

Thank you! I learned something today also! :)

The PT at my gym says that you need to trick your body. You need to shock it with a few more calories and change your exercise routine. Otherwise your body gets use to it. I'm 12 weeks po and it seems to be working for me. I'm down 40 lbs and over 20 inches. Steady weight loss

Stalls happen. Even when I am absolutely nailing the diet and exercise thing, I can go weeks now with little to no shift on the scale. Then it breaks again and the weight drops off again.

It can be frustrating but I am learning it is just how my body works and I try to not set goals for having lost by a certain date. I have my over all goals, but no time dependencies.

To the poster who asked what others do at the gym, I can burn over 700 calories in a group fitness class (les mills body attack burns the most) and I can easily burn 500 on the elliptical trainer for 40 minutes.

Do you have a heart monitor to measure your own calorie burn or do you use the machine? I find my heart monitor to be very different to what the machine calculates calorie wise.

Do the ellipticle on high Incline for a hour and you will burn at least 600 calories.

Change up your exercise routine your body gets accustomed to what you are doing. Go bike riding' date=' swim, take a walk. The exercise you are doing will only have to be increased if that is what your body is used to. Sometimes it can be Water weight that is playing with you or the time of the month that you get bloat. It is rough and I am currently going through something similar it just sucks and we have to wait it out. I don't think you are doing anything wrong just try changing up the exercise a little. You also might be gaining some muscle with all that you are doing and that does add a little weight. Hang in there you have already done a great job! :)[/quote']

What Beach said. Body definitely acclimates to exercise routines. After a while, your body learns how to efficiently do whatever exercise you are doing, so you don't burn as many calories. You have to basically trick it somehow. One way is mixing in different exercises. You could switch for a month to something else or you could rotate between 2-3 exercises, doing 1 one day, another the next day, etc. If you start doing another one and start thinking that you like the other one better, there's a chance it's because your body realizes the other one is easier (further proof you need to switch it up) This is one of the ideas under the P90X, Insanity, etc workouts. That, as well as high intensity bursts, which is another way of tricking your body. Try mixing in some very high intensity bursts into your routine. If you do elliptical, try doing one minutes at your normal pace then upping the resistant by 4-5 and doing 30 seconds going almost as fast as you can. Then repeat (ie, back down to your normal routine for a minute and then high speed higher resistance for 30 seconds). Do about 15 sets of those and I guarantee you will see results.

Also, what is your heartrate when you are training. You would like to aim for 80% of your max when you are doing cardio. Here's a good chart to help you find what that is: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/PhysicalActivity/Target-Heart-Rates_UCM_434341_Article.jsp

Further, it is widely known that ellipitcal machines are terrible at accurately telling you how many calories you can burn. At my gym, I once tested this by doing 20 minutes on 1 machine and then 20 minutes on the machine right next to it. Same brand machine, same resistance, same time, same distance, one machine reported that I had burned 120 calories more than the other one. I did the exact IDENTICAL workout on both. I recommend going with what something like MFP says, and when you do that, be conservative on the intensity you tell it you did. High intensity is basically sprinting and medium intensity is the equivalent of a very fast paced run.

One other thought: are you doing any weight lifting at all? As we lose weight from the procedure, we lose muscle as well as fat. How much muscle mass we have directly contributes to our RMR (resting metabolic rate, or what everyone calls metabolism). Mixing in two days of a 30 minute weight routine would help prevent any stalls (as well as equipment the weight loss, tone muscles, firm skins, et al). You aren't built to get bulky so don't worry, as I've heard some women worry, that lifting weights will results in you getting huge muscles, etc. it's genetics that virtually all women cannot get that way. Female body builders become that big by taking insane amounts of Protein, having no fat (so only muscles show), and lifting almost everyday. You won't get there.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

And maybe I should proofread my iPad posts before hitting send! Sorry for the typos!

Eat around 1000-1100 cal a day go to gym 5 days a week burn 600 cal there' date=' come home clean, cook, take care of small kids, usually do set ups and arm exercise in evening....keep carbs between 50-100 (my suggested was 277 on fitness app) so burning way more than eating... And I keep going up and down the same pound for almost 2 weeks. I started burning more week ago was only doing 500 at gym. I am going crazy I want to be below 200 before end of August and don't see happening I go from 200.4 to 201.8 highest this week I want to cry... I'm working so hard and nothing ...any suggestions??? Am I doing something wrong ?? Please no mean comments and don't tell me to put scale away I did 3 days ago and want it more than ever..[/quote']

Change up your workout routine a bit like others suggested. My trainer recommends doing weights and then cardio. Just a suggestion. If you haven't already, take pictures of yourself and track your measurements. Anytime I stall I always loose inches. The pictures just help me see the changes and keep me motived. And finally, don't beat yourself up. Stress makes us hold onto weight. Your doing good things already! Way to go!

I did lose inches during stall or my yo-yo up and down

I did lose inches during stall or my yo-yo up and down

The scale is just one measurement of our progress. As long as you are loosing weight or inches then Celebrate it as success!

UPDATE Alright everyone I am currently 197.8 I have lost 3.8 lbs since Sat (3 days ago) I increased cal I got 1400 one day and 1200 the next and didn't make to gym bc of schedule.. Either way I'm liking the scale I have not lost that much in a week even since was 2 mo out.

UPDATE Alright everyone I am currently 197.8 I have lost 3.8 lbs since Sat (3 days ago) I increased cal I got 1400 one day and 1200 the next and didn't make to gym bc of schedule.. Either way I'm liking the scale I have not lost that much in a week even since was 2 mo out.

Thanks for the update! Glad to see the scale moving again!