Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October Sleevers - Who else

Need help!

So I was discharged from the hospital today. Everything had been going very smoothly, my boyfriend is taking very good care of me- I felt very dry mouth and dehydrated at first, but I worked on fluids all afternoon until I felt better. I took a nap and felt pretty good when I woke up, (he is setting the alarm clock to make sure that I take pain medicine every four hours... if I got behind in the hospital, it took forever to catch up). I have not been able to get Protein down since being at home, but figure for today the fluids are taking priority. I'm wondering if I cannot do protein because I have been very gassy this afternoon, feeling like I need to have a bowel movement, but have been unable to do so. I was relieved at first as I know that gas is a good thing, and let's me know all is moving along the way it should, and I do feel better when I'm getting the gas out too. However, I was just due for nighttime meds at 9 PM including my nighttime Zantac and roxicet... I took 1/2 of a sip of my Zantac (ranitidine) dose first, but then my mouth started watering and I felt like I was going to be sick to my stomach... Frankly the liquid medicine tastes sooo sooo bad!!! I'm not sure if it was the taste or the gas, but I knew I wasn't going to have an easy time with the roxicet, so I waited as long as possible and finally took it quickly (was only 10ml)... Immediately after taking it, my mouth started watering and I had to run to the bathroom where I started to throw up, however even though I just taken the red medicine I only dry heaved out clear spit... My fingers crossed the dry heaving didn't do damage to my sleeve!

Anyone else have this experience? How/ what did you do?

Any ideas for what to mix the meds in so they are more tolerable?

Do you think it's just the gas that made it bad (I had been taking them oK at hospital, sure gross taste but no throwing up)? Any suggestions for that?

I'm also wondering if I should think about asking my surgeon for a completely different acid reducer, such as Prevacid (dissolves in mouth)...

Any thoughts/ suggestions are appreciated, as although I'm so happy with my new sleeve, Its still so new, so I'm nervous!

Thanks!!!

-Meg

How are you this evening?

How are you this evening?

I'm feeling pretty good this morning- called my surgeon's NP first thing. She had me buy normal Zantac OTC and crush it in a little bit of apple sauce instead of taking the liquid- went down SO much smoother! She also told me not to bother with colace, because apparently that tastes even worse than the Zantac... She said if I dry heave with Zantac then I definitely will with colace- so went to CVS (my big field trip for the day- took a lot out of me) and got some Miralax, ducolax, and simethicone (gas-x)... I've actually been able to take down some liquids this morning but am watching closely-- I have to do AT LEAST 2000ml per day, if I don't I'm supposed to call/ go to emergency room... So far it's only 11am and I've got about 500ml in me... Anyone else having a strange time taking in liquids? I cannot take big sips, but I've noticed I can do small sips frequently- not sure if it just empties from my stomach quicker? Drinking is just so different already!

I kind feel guilty everyone's having all this pain and nausea and I'm 9 days postop and from day one I had no pain no acid reflux no nausea I feel really blessed to have it so easy and sadly I never stuck to the 2 week preop diet I had a big steak 4 days before I ate something couple days really to take the edge off. Now that I've had the surgery I'm rarely ever Hungary and I'm loosing 1-2 pounds a day I feel like I wasted 65 dollars on pain meds and nausea Patches and acid reflux meds only. Thing I needed that was not doc prescribed was gas-Ex strips but I say good luck to you all in your journey....

Sent from my iPad using VST

I kind feel guilty everyone's having all this pain and nausea and I'm 9 days postop and from day one I had no pain no acid reflux no nausea I feel really blessed to have it so easy and sadly I never stuck to the 2 week preop diet I had a big steak 4 days before I ate something couple days really to take the edge off. Now that I've had the surgery I'm rarely ever Hungary and I'm loosing 1-2 pounds a day I feel like I wasted 65 dollars on pain meds and nausea Patches and acid reflux meds only. Thing I needed that was not doc prescribed was gas-Ex strips but I say good luck to you all in your journey.... Sent from my iPad using VST

I felt the same way Lew. Right now I'm soooo over the liquid diet I had my first day yesterday where I felt like crap because I had some left incisional pain the day before after walking the mall - no biggie that Tylenol didn't fix but just enough to make me remember to take it easy so I laid in bed all day. I have 5 more days to go on it and would choke anyone who tried to eat in front of me.

{)i(} Sent from my iPhone using VST {)i(}

I felt the same way Lew. Right now I'm soooo over the liquid diet I had my first day yesterday where I felt like crap because I had some left incisional pain the day before after walking the mall - no biggie that Tylenol didn't fix but just enough to make me remember to take it easy so I laid in bed all day. I have 5 more days to go on it and would choke anyone who tried to eat in front of me. {)i(} Sent from my iPhone using VST {)i(}

Yea I'm on purea foods as of nov 11th it really should be called purea meats because everything else like mashed potatoes and such are ok it eat like they are so other then turkey which if I eat In small pieces and chew very well will be the same and I can't wait December 11 I'll be allowed all reg food like steak and such

Sent from my iPad using VST

I kind feel guilty everyone's having all this pain and nausea and I'm 9 days postop and from day one I had no pain no acid reflux no nausea I feel really blessed to have it so easy and sadly I never stuck to the 2 week preop diet I had a big steak 4 days before I ate something couple days really to take the edge off. Now that I've had the surgery I'm rarely ever Hungary and I'm loosing 1-2 pounds a day I feel like I wasted 65 dollars on pain meds and nausea Patches and acid reflux meds only. Thing I needed that was not doc prescribed was gas-Ex strips but I say good luck to you all in your journey.... Sent from my iPad using VST

Congrats Lew. I hope I'm as lucky as you are!!!

Don't feel guilty! I'm happy for you! I wish I felt the same, but will get there eventually! Hearing about you doing so well gives me a lot of hope, so thanks! Keep up the good work!

No you did not make a mistake girl!!!

Though we have all had different struggles and outcomes postop' date=' we must keep our goal in mind. You have to drink your Water. I'm still struggling with my liquids as well but vow to do better. You are definitely not alone!! Be strong.

{)i(} Sent from my iPhone using VST {)i(}[/quote']

I had to call 911 on thursday and they took me to the hospital I had surgery at..... they kept me and did scan of my stomach and checked everything and they told me i have no leaks.... Thank you JESUS!!!!! Im struggling since surgery ive been very sick... after i got discharged yesterday, last night started getting a fever didnt go past 100 so i was thankful..... I cant turn back but I pray it gets better and the decision i made was a good one....

Don't feel guilty! I'm happy for you! I wish I felt the same, but will get there eventually! Hearing about you doing so well gives me a lot of hope, so thanks! Keep up the good work!

I feel like for me, this was the easiest of the 4 surgeries I've had by a mile. Really was not in pain post op, except for gas pain. The last time I woke up from surgery, I was on a ventilator and had a miserable few weeks of recovery so this was a huge relief!!! Home with my boys, no nausea, incisions healing well but feeling pretty weak and tired even though I have chosen to just drink clear Protein Drinks, forgoing broth, juice etc. because of the lack of Protein. Body is recovering and I am looking forward to next Tuesday when I can have creamy Soup which I will savor!!!! I am also sorry for those who are having a more difficult transition- nausea, etc. sucks! Feel better soon. I'm actually heading out with my youngest son to a six year old's birthday party! Think I will observe with my protein drink... No limbo for this girl!

I had to call 911 on thursday and they took me to the hospital I had surgery at..... they kept me and did scan of my stomach and checked everything and they told me i have no leaks.... Thank you JESUS!!!!! Im struggling since surgery ive been very sick... after i got discharged yesterday' date=' last night started getting a fever didnt go past 100 so i was thankful..... I cant turn back but I pray it gets better and the decision i made was a good one....[/quote']

Eeek! I'm thinking of you and sending healing thoughts! I've been having a rough go at it too, but staying confident that this is not a mistake- you should too! Try to stay positive- I know this sucks pretty bad now (for both you and me) , but stay strong, it will all get better and just try to imagine life 100+lbs lighter in a year!!! We can do this!

I feel like for me' date=' this was the easiest of the 4 surgeries I've had by a mile. Really was not in pain post op, except for gas pain. The last time I woke up from surgery, I was on a ventilator and had a miserable few weeks of recovery so this was a huge relief!!! Home with my boys, no nausea, incisions healing well but feeling pretty weak and tired even though I have chosen to just drink clear Protein drinks, forgoing broth, juice etc. because of the lack of protein. Body is recovering and I am looking forward to next Tuesday when I can have creamy Soup which I will savor!!!! I am also sorry for those who are having a more difficult transition- nausea, etc. sucks! Feel better soon. I'm actually heading out with my youngest son to a six year old's birthday party! Think I will observe with my protein drink... No limbo for this girl![/quote']

Have fun! Thanks for your kind words :)

I had mine Oct 15th. It was done at Weightwise in Edmond ,OK

I had to call 911 on thursday and they took me to the hospital I had surgery at..... they kept me and did scan of my stomach and checked everything and they told me i have no leaks.... Thank you JESUS!!!!! Im struggling since surgery ive been very sick... after i got discharged yesterday' date=' last night started getting a fever didnt go past 100 so i was thankful..... I cant turn back but I pray it gets better and the decision i made was a good one....[/quote']

Oh my- I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Everyone has such a different surgery experience. You're right-we can't turn back but just pray for healing. In a year this will all be a distant memory. It's wonderful you have no leaks.

{)i(} Sent from my iPhone using VST {)i(}