Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Varicose Vein/Spider Vein removal?

Has anyone had success getting insurance to pay for varicose vein and/or spider vein removal (Sclerotherapy)? I still don't wear shorts or short dresses (anything above my lower knee) due to my road-map legs. Wondering what I'm up against. Thanks!

I have had 5 surgeries on my legs for varicose veins. it's called venous ablation, but I had venous insufficiency, mine was medically necessary, and insurance paid for it, but it won't pay for sclerotherapy thats considered cosmetic. i had that done and it was very painful and scared my skin. My legs look awful too, but I wear shorts, and some of the veins have come back, thats why I want to have surgery weight has a lot to do with it, I would ask your dr.

I'd like to resurrect this post. My left leg looks awful. I have 1 vein that is raised. The rest are these spidery veins. Has anyone else had any luck with a vein solution center & their insurance?

I have uhc also. Did you have good results?

The venious closure went pretty well. The vein was still protruding some so I had the vein removal done a few months later. Still doesn't look great in my opinion for as much money as the insurance paid for it. Still have some weird nerve pain also and I had the final procedure completed last September.

That's disappointing! I'm sorry. I'm glad I'm asking then. It's always good to hear truth from actual patients!

I went in 2 months ago to have my varicose and spider veins checked. They protrude a lot more since losing weight. They verified that I have venous insufficiency via ultrasound. Turns out this is also the reason for my puffy ankles. I just assumed I had cankles cause I was so fat, but it turns out it's due to poor circulation. Insurance requires that I wear compression stockings for 3 months to see if this improves things before they will pay for the surgery. Well the stockings definitely make a difference with the appearance of my ankles, but my veins are the same. I go back in a month to have another ultrasound and will likely schedule the ablation at that point. The vein clinic I am going to said they will throw in one free treatment for the spider veins at the same time. I may need addition treatments, but that's on me.

Let us know how your treatment works. Good luck and thanks for the info!

UHC is covering my varicose veins and spider veins. My first procedure for the worst vein is this Thursday afternoon. Anyone want to tell me what to expect?

UHC is covering my varicose veins and spider veins. My first procedure for the worst vein is this Thursday afternoon. Anyone want to tell me what to expect?

Expect varying levels of pain, and poor results. It's like stretch marks: varicose veins are simply a part of your body and it is extremely difficult to mask their appearance even with surgery. Sometimes it is easier to wear thicker dancer tights instead of pantyhose, and learn to deal with it.

@@BarrySue yikes, really? Have you had a bad experience? I have friends who have had the vein stripping procedure done, and their legs are beautiful years later, and I'm using the same vein dr. I was interested more in what the experience of the actual procedure was. I have been assured that it is not painful, due to the local anesthetic, but what the sensation of the vein pulling is like. Thanks for your response. I appreciate all input and feedback.

@@BarrySue yikes, really? Have you had a bad experience? I have friends who have had the vein stripping procedure done, and their legs are beautiful years later, and I'm using the same vein dr. I was interested more in what the experience of the actual procedure was. I have been assured that it is not painful, due to the local anesthetic, but what the sensation of the vein pulling is like. Thanks for your response. I appreciate all input and feedback.

Several of my friends have gone through the procedure, and all of them were incredibly disappointed by the results. One of them suffered extreme pain. But if you have friends and personally know patients of a doctor who has had more success, that's wonderful.

@@BarrySue Thanks. Yeah, this Dr is supposed to be the best of the best. Even my other Dr's rave about him. So, I feel pretty confident in his practice. Of course, I'll post on here, and let folks know my experience...good or bad.

Just curious, since I too have spider veins and some veins that are raised now, is surgery necessary? Is the surgery just to try and make it look better or are they going to cause health issues?