Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I had my first appointment with my surgeon today. I meet all the requirements for my insurance, so that's good news. The bad news is he wants me to lose at least 50 lbs before surgery. I guess it's not really bad news per say, it's just really discouraging. If it were easy for me to lose weight I wouldn't be having this surgery. I have tried countless times to lose weight and I get to a certain point and stop! I don't ever remember losing more than 20 lbs at a time. He says the nut will be able to help me meet this goal. It's not that I'm not willing to do the work. I'm on board 100%! I am just very worried that I can not make this happen. I meet with nut on September 13th, but in the meantime where do I start? Should I start counting calories? Should I go ahead and start with high Protein low carb? Im not a huge carb eater now. Any advice, encouragement on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Start by cutting back on your sugar intake, cut out your junk foods, up your Water intake and eat more Protein and fresh veggies and fruits...

I haven't been instructed to lose any weight before surgery, but I decided to start on my own by cutting out junk, sugar and adding more Protein, fruit and veggies. I also started walking last week, 3 days a week. I'm done 10 lbs in a month (went to seminar on 7/19). My first visit with the NUT is 09/11 I hope to go in there 15 to 20lbs down, so he will see that I am super serious about my decision.

Just start slowly...switching out the bad stuff. I've lost a great deal of weight before, just was never able to keep it off..and the one thing I remember from my countless number of diets is more Water, less junk, more protein, more veggies and more fruit.. worked every time.

Good luck.

Start by eating 3 meals a day....and up Water intake to 64 oz. try to limit or remove refined sugar in your diet and stay away from pop.....

take small bites and jot everything down that you ate in a day...Do not eat everything on your plate..Start by deliberately leaving 1 teaspoon on the plate..It will help break the habit of eating everything on our plates that we were taught by our mothers good intentions.....

Small steps yes...but it is a beginning...

Up Protein amounts and veggies too..K This is how I started to lose my weight before my surgery......

Thanks ladies. I already have the sugar part taking care of. I was diagnosed a type II diabetic back in June and I cut all that stuff out then. I will defiantly start to utilize these other things also. I'm not a huge meat eater so I feel like I will have problems in the Protein department. Maybe I should go ahead and start shakes. Maybe at least replace one meal a day. What do y'all think? (Excuse me southernness)

Start by cutting back on your sugar intake, cut out your junk foods, up your Water intake and eat more Protein and fresh veggies and fruits...

I haven't been instructed to lose any weight before surgery, but I decided to start on my own by cutting out junk, sugar and adding more Protein, fruit and veggies. I also started walking last week, 3 days a week. I'm done 10 lbs in a month (went to seminar on 7/19). My first visit with the NUT is 09/11 I hope to go in there 15 to 20lbs down, so he will see that I am super serious about my decision.

Just start slowly...switching out the bad stuff. I've lost a great deal of weight before, just was never able to keep it off..and the one thing I remember from my countless number of diets is more Water, less junk, more protein, more veggies and more fruit.. worked every time.

Good luck.

How long are you capable of walking?

I do an hour on the treadmill. Knees actually feel much better too.

Thanks ladies. I already have the sugar part taking care of. I was diagnosed a type II diabetic back in June and I cut all that stuff out then. I will defiantly start to utilize these other things also. I'm not a huge meat eater so I feel like I will have problems in the Protein department. Maybe I should go ahead and start shakes. Maybe at least replace one meal a day. What do y'all think? (Excuse me southernness)

Hmmm.. how do you feel about tuna. Maybe adding some will up your Protein intake. I love chicken, not much a red meat fan. The only shakes I've found that I've liked in the past were from Premier and BariWise.

Good luck.

I am so sorry, i quoted the wrong post. :o

So I had my first appointment with my surgeon today. I meet all the requirements for my insurance, so that's good news. The bad news is he wants me to lose at least 50 lbs before surgery. I guess it's not really bad news per say, it's just really discouraging. If it were easy for me to lose weight I wouldn't be having this surgery. I have tried countless times to lose weight and I get to a certain point and stop! I don't ever remember losing more than 20 lbs at a time. He says the nut will be able to help me meet this goal. It's not that I'm not willing to do the work. I'm on board 100%! I am just very worried that I can not make this happen. I meet with nut on September 13th, but in the meantime where do I start? Should I start counting calories? Should I go ahead and start with high Protein low carb? Im not a huge carb eater now. Any advice, encouragement on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Are you able to walk? If so, how far or how long?

Btw, you've done tremendously! Congrats on your journey....

I am so sorry, i quoted the wrong post. :o

lol it's okay...

Btw, you've done tremendously! Congrats on your journey....

Thanks so much! Did my first 5k on the treadmill just yesterday! :D

During my appointments with the nutritionist I started doing medifast. I think that anyone that is looking to lose weight quickly to get surgery approval should try it. In about a month I lost about 40 lbs. From what your Dr is requiring it sounds like you would be pretty much done. It is kinda extreme in that you eat primarily mail order freeze dried food, but it works and it will get you where your trying to go. Some people just do mf the whole time and are usually successful in surgery like weight losses if they stick with it (I quit and regained most of my weight before the surgery) and because the program is very detailed it is easy to do. It might help you get to surgery quicker than you planned.

Hmmm.. how do you feel about tuna. Maybe adding some will up your Protein intake. I love chicken' date=' not much a red meat fan. The only shakes I've found that I've liked in the past were from Premier and BariWise.< /p>

Good luck.[/quote']

I like tuna but it gives me killer heart burn. :( And thanks!

Are you able to walk? If so' date=' how far or how long?[/quote']

Now don't laugh, but in my current condition I may could handle 10 to 15 min. My problem with exercise is my heart rate shoots up. My doctor told me to monitor my heart rate and if I was over 130 to stop bc it was dangerous. I have copd and bc of meds my heart rate is usually 115 at rest. At least I believe that the meds cause it. It's very aggravating bc I always thought copd was a smokers disease, and I have never smoked a day in my life. Honest to God! I told my husband that I believe that if I start out doing the 10 to 15 min I can handle maybe I can build myself up.