Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

sugar free popsicles? some suggestions please...

Shame on me for not reading the label! So I'm on the pre-op and they said I could have sugar free popsicles and Jello.....so I bought some cheap-o popsicles as they were out of everything. Then I ate one.....yum!!!! I thought all my pre-op diet woes were over...lol... I thought I'd just eat like 50 per day (kidding) then after two last night I decided to look at the label. well sugar free? YES... but 7 carbs per...no idea what gives it the carbs. Are there any with less out there? The Jello has none.

Same subject, different question.... when I come home on Clear liquids...I know I can have them, but, do they count as a liquid? do I have to wait after eating them? stupid I know but I don't want to assume. After the liquid phase do popsicles and jello count as meal time or liquids?

Shame on me for not reading the label! So I'm on the pre-op and they said I could have sugar free popsicles and Jello.....so I bought some cheap-o popsicles as they were out of everything. Then I ate one.....yum!!!! I thought all my pre-op diet woes were over...lol... I thought I'd just eat like 50 per day (kidding) then after two last night I decided to look at the label. well sugar free? YES... but 7 carbs per...no idea what gives it the carbs. Are there any with less out there? The Jello has none.

Same subject' date=' different question.... when I come home on clear liquids...I know I can have them, but, do they count as a liquid? do I have to wait after eating them? stupid I know but I don't want to assume. After the liquid phase do popsicles and jello count as meal time or liquids?[/quote']

Yes the SF popsicles count as part of your liquids & no you do not have to wait to drink after having them. When is your surgery date if you do not mind me asking? I wish you the best on your journey!!!!

I can get through half a single side before I'm full they are the double stick ones I cut them in half and then try to eat the one half but I get about half of the half in before I'm full.. Wait 30 min before trying any other liquid.. Even one bite or teaspoon over and it's very uncomfortable.

sugar free Bomb Pops have saved me this summer: they don't even taste sugar free! And FWIW, I found I DID have to wait to have popsicles after eating; my tummy treated them like liquids. Everyone's different tho.

Well our surgeon said that initially they were advising people to do sugar free, but they found people recovering much better with a little sugar for energy and recovery. So might want to check in on that.

In our case, I can take or leave the Popsicles, but they "trigger" my husband for sweets and then he ends up having 3-4 a day. So I'm going to be giving then away to the housekeeper on Monday for her kids :)

I'm rambling but my point is, a little sugar immediately post-op may not be a bad thing--unless it triggers you for other sweet no nos.

If they are like the Blue Bell SF pops I had, they are made with sugar alcohols. While not completely carb free, from what I've read, your body only absorbs about half the calories from the sugar alcohols.

With waiting I meant did we treat them as food or liquid....Im happy with knowing they are a liquid...and I know I wont be able to hold even a whole popsicle after surgery, but right now.....it saves me from some terrible temptations of cheating...lol

@Cherbear.. my surgery is next wed!!!!!!! (I want to put more here, but you get the idea) I'm excited......and worried but only because I've never had general anesthesia.

Well our surgeon said that initially they were advising people to do sugar free, but they found people recovering much better with a little sugar for energy and recovery. So might want to check in on that.

In our case, I can take or leave the Popsicles, but they "trigger" my husband for sweets and then he ends up having 3-4 a day. So I'm going to be giving then away to the housekeeper on Monday for her kids :)

I'm rambling but my point is, a little sugar immediately post-op may not be a bad thing--unless it triggers you for other sweet no nos.

I have heard that... and I've seen on here that a lot of people get apple juice and real popsicles at the hospital.... so I will def look into it.

I don't think I'll have a real "trigger" once I have the surgery... It's just been the pre-op...but I have suddenly turned a corner...not hungry anymore just trying to get in the right stuff...more label obsession...lol

Apple juice was what got me through the first few days. That, and Mango Italian ices. I needed the sugar and carbs the first week for energy. Of course once I made it through the first week, I gave up the sugar and stuck to SF liquids and popsicles. I still have another week of full liquids. FF Greek yogurt is great with a drizzle of SF Davinci or Torani syrups. Gonna try some apple sauce tonight... yum

Apple juice was what got me through the first few days. That' date=' and Mango Italian ices. I needed the sugar and carbs the first week for energy. Of course once I made it through the first week, I gave up the sugar and stuck to SF liquids and popsicles. I still have another week of full liquids. FF Greek yogurt is great with a drizzle of SF Davinci or Torani syrups. Gonna try some apple sauce tonight... yum[/quote']

Ooh, we can have applesauce now? And yogurt? I guess I need to read more carefully! Yay! :)

You will do great!!!! I am 4 weeks post op & I was very nervous before my surgery & o have had several surgeries so it was not my first time going under. One tip i s get yourself some chewable gas-x or the kind that nelts under your tongue. It will help a lot after you come home with the gas pains from the surgery. Also make sure you do a lot of walking in as soon as they let you at the hospital. I will pray for you & your surgery :) best wishes!!!!

You will do great!!!! I am 4 weeks post op & I was very nervous before my surgery & o have had several surgeries so it was not my first time going under. One tip i s get yourself some chewable gas-x or the kind that nelts under your tongue. It will help a lot after you come home with the gas pains from the surgery. Also make sure you do a lot of walking in as soon as they let you at the hospital. I will pray for you & your surgery :) best wishes!!!!

I'm gonna walk walk walk..... and I already got gas-x strips, the dissolvable type? ... and I heard get a small pillow.( I read take a heating pad?? don't knpw if that's good or bad after surgery) I'm going to MX so, I have to fly home two days after surgery. Yikes! But I'd rather be home... thank you for your prayers I need them...