Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tips for Post-op Energy during recovery?

For vitamins' date=' I ordered Bariatric Advantage chewable multi Vitamins, sublingual B12, Biotin capsules and calcium chews (the caramel flavor-- yum!). They are all sugar-free. Vit D, E I get from Whole Foods. Fish Oil is Coromega gel packs (from GNC). Are you taking Iron? Ferosol is a plant-based Iron that is non-constipating and easy to swallow. I take it every 3 days.

As far as energy returning, it was in my 3rd week that I started to feel human. My first real exercise walk (not just the wandering around a mall walk), I thought might kill me. But I kept thinking to myself the Abraham Lincoln quote, "most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be." I decided I was never going to feel better until I MADE MYSELF FEEL BETTER. That first walk led to another and another, and now I am 3 months out, down 52 lbs and walking 4.5 miles 3-4 times a week.

I will confess to a nap or two here or there, mostly because I overdo it. But my energy level is fantastic!

Also when you get back on solid foods I think you'll see a big improvement. At week 4 I was supposed to start purée, but I couldn't stand the texture. So I talked to my nutritionist and since I had never had any complications, nausea or vomiting, I was cleared to start on soft foods. Maybe that is a possibility for you too?

By the way, I'm 59. Before my surgery I felt more like 79. Now I feel more like 29! Amazing!

Feel better![/quote']

Thank you for the detailed info this really helps. I started feosol yesterday.

My big problem right now is that I have gone from feeling GREAT to feeling terrible. I am light-headed, dizzy, feel like I am going to pass out, and my BP is a tad low. Lowest was 110/55, and other readings have been 109/65 etc.

I've written to my doc in Mexico but I haven't heard back. It's worrisome that I've gone from feeling great to not being able to get out of bed, and I'm pretty sure it's a Vitamin or mineral deficiency. I wish I knew what was going on.

I see my local PCP on Monday so will ask her to run tests.

I will also ask the surgeon about starting puréed foods early as you suggest. I really need to get back to work.

Morning. I'm on week six and can't operate after 2 pm either. I require daily naps and it hasn't been uncommon for me to go to bed at 6. I'm a , major mover and this is killing me.

It's 15 days today I think. I'm getting between 500-600 cals via full liquids' date=' at least 80 gms of Protein, less than 50 of carbs, and drinking my Water. I'm taking Vitamins, Fiber, b-complex, omega-3. No pain, no complications, feeling lucky. Down 20 lbs, feeling incredulous about that. Just finished my cycle today, so apparently all is well with my innards.

And I am still SO tired. I thought by two weeks, I'd be up and about and at 'em! But I'm not able to do much without needing breaks. I am taking meetings lying in bed and after two, I'm tired. I'm used to 60 hour weeks, and now I couldn't be bothered to schedule meetings this week. Don't feel up to working which is weird. Can't focus on reading anything substantive so reading light novels, which is not normal.

All I do is lie around and read forum posts and occasionally get up and try to cook something, clean house a bit, or ride my stationary cycle for 10 minutes. THIS IS NOT THE REAL ME!

Is this "normal"? I need to be back to fighting speed next Monday. I can't be lying around in week 3--surely I won't need to, right?

More importantly what did you do during post-op recovery to get some energy into you?[/quote']

I didn't start feeling "normal" until the fourth or fifth week. You have been through a major surgery and all kinds of changes and shocks to your body. Give it some more one to heal and adjust.

I didn't start feeling "normal" until the fourth or fifth week. You have been through a major surgery and all kinds of changes and shocks to your body. Give it some more one to heal and adjust.

You may be right. It doesn't help that my husband who was sleeved at the same time is running around all day while I'm lying in bed like some wimpy GIRL! :) I hate feeling weak.

Morning. I'm on week six and can't operate after 2 pm either. I require daily naps and it hasn't been uncommon for me to go to bed at 6. I'm a ' date=' major mover and this is killing me.[/quote']

At week 6? Wow, I wasn't prepared for that. That's got to be hard for you. Sorry :(

You may be right. It doesn't help that my husband who was sleeved at the same time is running around all day while I'm lying in bed like some wimpy GIRL! :) I hate feeling weak.

I totally understand!! But do remember that we all heal differently and most men loose weight faster so probably healing faster too. Don't feel weak. Just try to think of why you did this and that you are on your way to your goal. Good luck on your journey!

My big problem right now is that I have gone from feeling GREAT to feeling terrible. I am light-headed, dizzy, feel like I am going to pass out, and my BP is a tad low. Lowest was 110/55, and other readings have been 109/65 etc.

I've written to my doc in Mexico but I haven't heard back. It's worrisome that I've gone from feeling great to not being able to get out of bed, and I'm pretty sure it's a Vitamin or mineral deficiency. I wish I knew what was going on.

I will also ask the surgeon about starting puréed foods early as you suggest. I really need to get back to work.

I was very much like you as well! I am 52 and yesterday was week 10 for me. I take the Bariatric Advantage Vitamins as well and the sublingual are the best to use for B12 I also purchase Biotin sublingual from Sam's. I spent many days feeling dizzy or fuzzy headed and I couldn't walk a straight line even when I was dizzy for a long time. If you have these symptoms drink some G2 you are dehydrated and need to replace some electrolytes. It was week 9 before I felt back to my full self and that was after I was going full force to finish a baby shower that was held at my house. I thought I was going to drop while I was doing it but honestly it kick started me back into normalcy. I finally feel back to normal I am down 39 pounds and feel wonderful. I probably would have gotten this energy back sooner if I had eaten more food than I have to be honest. I got all my Protein in but I should have eaten more food than I was. When you get back to foods you will probably see a big difference as well. Before you know it you will be back to your normal self only better!!! :)

Are you taking B12? At 6 weeks I was feeling good but everyone is different. Contact your doc to see if you need to have some lab work done. Or enjoy your husband getting your 'to do' list done!

Are you taking B12? At 6 weeks I was feeling good but everyone is different. Contact your doc to see if you need to have some lab work done. Or enjoy your husband getting your 'to do' list done!

I am taking the b-12. My poor husband is doing a lot. In fairness, I did a lot more our first week because I was doing great then, and he was doing as you would expect someome who had just had major surgery to do! Thank god I didn't gloat then because karma would have slapped me now! :)

My big problem right now is that I have gone from feeling GREAT to feeling terrible. I am light-headed' date=' dizzy, feel like I am going to pass out, and my BP is a tad low. Lowest was 110/55, and other readings have been 109/65 etc.

I will also ask the surgeon about starting puréed foods early as you suggest. I really need to get back to work.[/quote']

I wish you well. I have been reading different posts you made in the last couple of weeks. I have been cheering you on the whole time. I do not have my date yet, I am 59 with energy in the tank bc of my thyroid. I would like to only take one week off. I have a desk job. Anyone with a desk job only needing one week off?

We just had major surgery. Listen to your body, it's telling you to rest. Don't second guess your Vitamins, etc. Dr. Alvarez gave us all the same instructions and he has great outcomes. I'm taking the gummy vitamins and Omega 3's. and the rest of the supplements that were on his list. Listen to your body, don't fight it to try to find a way to have more energy and do more.... It's telling you to slow down. Once you're healed then it's true, increased exercise will give you increased energy.. but you're still in the healing stage, and you need rest. Enjoy the ups when you have them, and do what you can, but don't push yourself. We're only a little more then 2 weeks out. Rest when your body tells you to.

I wish you well. I have been reading different posts you made in the last couple of weeks. I have been cheering you on the whole time. I do not have my date yet, I am 59 with energy in the tank bc of my thyroid. I would like to only take one week off. I have a desk job. Anyone with a desk job only needing one week off?

I have a desk job unless I travel. I decided not to travel. I did take phone meetings on day 5 although I really didn't want to. I had hoped to be alert and able to participate in meetings this week. No go. I was able to do some, but after 2-3 meetings a day, I was no good.

Pre-surgery I read posts of people who took 3 weeks and thought, well, I probably won't need that. Oh, was I wrong! I would strongly urge you, based on my experience now, to take at least 2 weeks off if you can. I too have thyroid issues, but it's controlled with meds.

We just had major surgery. Listen to your body, it's telling you to rest. Don't second guess your Vitamins, etc. Dr. Alvarez gave us all the same instructions and he has great outcomes. I'm taking the gummy vitamins and Omega 3's. and the rest of the supplements that were on his list. Listen to your body, don't fight it to try to find a way to have more energy and do more.... It's telling you to slow down. Once you're healed then it's true, increased exercise will give you increased energy.. but you're still in the healing stage, and you need rest. Enjoy the ups when you have them, and do what you can, but don't push yourself. We're only a little more then 2 weeks out. Rest when your body tells you to.

I will follow Nurse Amy's advice and I intend to show this to my husband so he can stop harassing me about getting up and doing something :)

I will follow Nurse Amy's advice and I intend to show this to my husband so he can stop harassing me about getting up and doing something :)

I though you were 6 wks out- misread something. At 2 weeks, you are very much healing! Take it a day at a time!

I have a desk job unless I travel. I decided not to travel. I did take phone meetings on day 5 although I really didn't want to. I had hoped to be alert and able to participate in meetings this week. No go. I was able to do some' date=' but after 2-3 meetings a day, I was no good.

Pre-surgery I read posts of people who took 3 weeks and thought, well, I probably won't need that. Oh, was I wrong! I would strongly urge you, based on my experience now, to take at least 2 weeks off if you can. I too have thyroid issues, but it's controlled with meds.[/quote']

Got it - I will re- think my time. Good luck to you and your hubby. I will be watching your journey.