Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A few of you might remember that I posted a week or so ago about feeling very sick. I was 3 weeks out of surgery when it started. I told you how I was weak and shaky, my heart rate was getting erratic and my BP too low. My BP since then has intermittently gone too high then back to too low. I was having to use an electronic shopping cart due to weakness. I was feeling worse daily and getting scared. Depression and anger started creeping in on me. I wasn't able to exercise and my weight loss was very slow compared to others. The main suggestions here were up-ing Protein and Water but I was already getting enough and I knew it. I got in to see my primary doc Monday and he ordered labs. Yesterday my doc called and told me the reason for my problem. My potassium was too low. He started me on a RX to get it up and will followup with new labs in a week. I'm hopeful that will do the trick.

Potassium was not on my radar at all. I was so worried about protein and water and taking my Vitamins and other supplements i just didn't think of it. I guess I thought I wold be getting it from something I was eating or drinking.

Many years ago my SIL became ill at home and was taken by ambulance to the hospital. She coded in the ER and was resuscitated but soon coded again and died. It was due to low potassium. I should have thought of it but I didn't.

Labs is not something my surgeon ever mentioned to me having done. I think all post-ops should do them though and I plan to do it on a regular basis, at least for a while until I know everything is staying in a healthy range.

I hope you get better soon, that sounds scary I would have been angry and depressed as well. Thank you for the useful information. A few years back my mom was hospitalized for low potassium, unfortunately its not high in our radar, and overlooked. But now its fresh in my head. Thanks again and i wish you a speedy recovery.

I was hospitalized about 6 weeks out for the same issue. Low potassium and dehydrated. Intensive care for a couple of days. It was rough. But I made it. I am conscious of my levels now and go the extra mile to watch my potassium, Vitamin D, Iron and other Vitamin levels intake. I am 3 months out and 63 down. Doing great now. Keep feeling better. Blessings!

I'm glad it was figured out. My surgeon's team ordered full labs every three months for the first year. Even so, things like this can creep up on us quickly. Thanks for sharing!

So glad that you found out what the issue was, I hope it is resolved quickly. Best of luck to you!

The hardest thing with trying to track your potassium intake is that unlike most of the other things we track, potassium is not required to be on the nutrition facts on products and therefore is skipped a lot, making the numbers we see on mfp for potassium way off. So as you say regular lab work is very important, my surgeon does order it every couple months. What truly sucks is that most of the things that are highest in potassium are things we don't normally eat post op i.e. potato's, bananas are a good source but personally they don't agree with me well since surgery. Good Luck, and glad to hear you got it figured out.

Great news that you found the problem and that it is readily treatable. I had similar issues with low potassium when I was newly sleeved but my symptoms were so much different than yours it didn't occur to me. My symptoms were cramping and dizziness when I stood up too quickly. My levels were low but not "critically" low. Adding electrolytes to my Water a few times a day turned out to be the solution for me. Plus now I eat enough that I can usually get most of my needs met with just food alone, needing Vitamin supplements less and less.

Good luck...I hope you see an improvement soon.

Glad your Dr found the problem, hope you get better soon!!

Thanks everyone. I'm so glad I went to him and told him how I have felt. He has always been in my corner. Nice to know its something with an easy enough fix.

Blessedfun2' date=' what do you do to check it and keep levels up?[/quote']

They are doing blood work even two weeks for a while. So far, so good. I also noticed when I was getting sick that every smell and taste was so intensified that I could not stand it. But I am so glad it is better! Keep doing good! Continuing on this journey! Let's get it!!!

Blessedfun2. You're so right. I was the same with smell. I could even smell Vitamins and it was so intense I would gag. I'm so glad they caught and fixed your levels.

Thanks for the heads up. I have tried to be vigilant with the potassium it is vital to life! Even now when I feel dehydrated I go straight to the G2 to try and get this in balance. If that doesn't work I have potassium pills here at home. I am so glad you are feeling better! Kudos to you for following through and going to your doctor!! :)

Blessedfun2. You're so right. I was the same with smell. I could even smell Vitamins and it was so insense I would gag. I'm so glad they caught and fixed your levels.

Wonder how long before your meds kick in and you feel better? Soon I hope!((hugs))