Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lamotrigine / Lamictal after gastric sleeve?

Hi all. I take 300 mg of lamotrigine/Lamictal every day as a mood stabilizer. It has literally changed my life. I was reading today that lamotrigine is one of the "do not use" post-surgery. I will of course call my doctor and find out what he says, but I also thought I would check on here. Have others used Lamictal/lamotrigine post-surgery and had problems? Or had no problems? I am (obviously) very worried about this given the success I've had with the medication - I can't imagine life without it.... Input is most appreciated. Thanks!

I had surgery June 26 and have been taking my it daily since. I have been on this medicine for years! Naturally my PCP and surgeon know I take this! :)

Hi all. I take 300 mg of lamotrigine/Lamictal every day as a mood stabilizer. It has literally changed my life. I was reading today that lamotrigine is one of the "do not use" post-surgery. I will of course call my doctor and find out what he says' date=' but I also thought I would check on here. Have others used Lamictal/lamotrigine post-surgery and had problems? Or had no problems? I am (obviously) very worried about this given the success I've had with the medication - I can't imagine life without it.... Input is most appreciated. Thanks![/quote']

I take lamictal everyday. I'm crush it up and take it with no problem at all.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Thanks Friends! I'm very relieved!

-Angela

I take it too. I can take the whole pill no problem. 8 weeks out and have taken it every day since I got home from the hospital.

Hi there

I've been taking lamictol 150mg BID for over 20 years for seizure disorder after vrain surgery. I have been seizure free for 16 years. I am having gastric bypass April 6 2022. We did a baseline level and will continue to do a few levels in 2 week intervals. My question is how much is not absirbed if anyone knows? Just a little nervous as it has been controlled so long. Thoughts/suggestions please. Thank you

On 8/16/2013 at 6:29 PM, Healthier2day1227 said:

I take it too. I can take the whole pill no problem. 8 weeks out and have taken it every day since I got home from the hospital.

How have your levels been? Dramitically lowe

Hello! I have had gastric sleeve surgery (2013) and brain surgery to remove a meningioma (8 weeks ago). At the time of bariatric surgery, I was taking lamictal for bipolar. I’m now taking it post-brain surgery for seizures. In other words, I had the same surgeries in the opposite order! You might ask your doctor or pharmacist about getting a short-term script for lamictal that dissolves on your tongue. That’s what my doc gave me back in 2013. I was glad for it because I find lamictal pills to be hard to swallow even on my best days. Good luck! If you did brain surgery, bariatric surgery will be a piece of cake (pun intended)!

3 hours ago, vsginkc said:

Hello! I have had gastric sleeve surgery (2013) and brain surgery to remove a meningioma (8 weeks ago). At the time of bariatric surgery, I was taking lamictal for bipolar. I’m now taking it post-brain surgery for seizures. In other words, I had the same surgeries in the opposite order! You might ask your doctor or pharmacist about getting a short-term script for lamictal that dissolves on your tongue. That’s what my doc gave me back in 2013. I was glad for it because I find lamictal pills to be hard to swallow even on my best days. Good luck! If you did brain surgery, bariatric surgery will be a piece of cake (pun intended)!

Thank you for this. It is much appreciated. I hope all goes well with your recovery. Tale care! You are right. Brain surgary was very rough!!!