Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Problems with Primary Care Physician

I am at the beginning stages of my journey. I went to the informational seminar and had my consult with the Gastric Sleeve Surgeon. On Monday I will have my first of the six visits with my PCP. I know he does not believe in any type of weight loss surgery. I know I will get a rough go around with him, and he will be very negative. I have gone to him for many years and he maintains all my records. How do you I deal with him? I know he will tell me that I will fail at this as I have not been successful with any weight loss plans in the past. How should I respond to his negative attitude? Any feedback will be appreciated. I am planning on going thru the process no matter what he says. Has anyone else run into this problem with their PCP?

Honestly, I'd just get a new PCP. For me, my WLS is such a major aspect of my healthcare right now, I need a doctor who understands the procedure and is supportive.

I wouldn't put up with neativity from any Dr. If I was sure he would rect that way I would have already been locating a supportive one.

Yeah I wouldn't put up with that crap either. I got lucky and my PCP was SOOOO supportive! She referred me to my surgeon, went through 6 months of appts with me, and even visited me in the hospital! I think she was more excited than I was about the surgery.

If you are in Chicago I can give you her name. If not, maybe ask your surgeon or insurance company for a Bariatric friendly doctor.

Retired Gal, find another Pcp quick. Make sure you're able to see him/her this month because then if you don't, then you'll have an extra month to wait. All they have to do is monitor your weight each month. Tell them your knees hurt and keep a log of your daily meals. Good luck. I switched my doctor too.

I agree. There are many PCP's out there that do support or suggest WLS for their patients. Find one:)

I agree I have just started my journal as well and i am looking forward to my meeting with my surgeon.

I see my Dr. at the end of this month for my first weigh in and I am worried about the same thing. He already told me he does not think surgery is a good choice. I think you should have an honest conversation about your struggle and ask him if he has a questions for you. Remind him how many times he has seen you try and fail and all the physical ways e extra weight affects you. Remind him he is there to help you, not judge you. I did that (after all the arguing) and he seemed to soften but I will not know for sure until the next appointment. If your Dr. does not soften up I was told a gynecologist can also write a letter to insurance on your behalf. Good luck and keep us posted :)

I discussed it with my PCP and he was very supportive, but I didn't see him for my 3 months of appointments, I saw my surgeon. It was just easier because he knew exactly what the insurance needed in the documentation. That may be an option for you. My PCP did have to write a letter stating it was medically necessary, so you may have an issue with that. I agree that it may be best to find a new PCP. It would be aweful to go through all the appointments and then your PCP not recommend the surgery.

Yeah I wouldn't put up with that crap either. I got lucky and my PCP was SOOOO supportive! She referred me to my surgeon, went through 6 months of appts with me, and even visited me in the hospital! I think she was more excited than I was about the surgery.

This is my physician too! When I hit my weight loss goal to submit for insurance she hugged me, she practically jumped up and down when I was approved and told me that even though she won't be rounding on me that if she is in town she will definitely come and see me. I would go in and be up front and let him know that this is very important to you and that you will do it with or without his support, if that means finding a new doctor that you will. I would than emphasize that it is important to you to maintain a relationship with him through this process and hope he will consider it. If he won't do it, than find someone new, they can't with hold your medical information.

I know he does not believe in any type of weight loss surgery. I know I will get a rough go around with him, and he will be very negative. I have gone to him for many years and he maintains all my records. How do you I deal with him? I know he will tell me that I will fail at this as I have not been successful with any weight loss plans in the past. How should I respond to his negative attitude? Any feedback will be appreciated. I am planning on going thru the process no matter what he says. Has anyone else run into this problem with their PCP?

My PCP did not agree with my decision to have WLS. She even tried talking me out of it... My surgeon (and team) required a letter from my PCP stating I was obese for at least 7years, since I am younger and do/did not have any comorbities. My PCP eventually agreed to write my surgeon and his team a letter stating facts, not her opinions.

I have been "sleeved" for 11 months now, and have most definitely changed my PCP. Do not put up with any negativity! But if you do need your charts and medical history, plus signatures/letters; obtain all necessary information, get your surgery, and find a new Primary Care Physician. Good luck!!!!

I agree with the above statements you need to be comfortable, with your PCP. I just got a new PCP and they are slow with completing my doctor approval letter since I have just began seeing them. I requested that my last doctor complete a letter as well do to the fact that I have been with them for over 15 years. I was going to have the sleeve procedure but my surgeon said he believes I would benefit more with the gasytric bypass do to my health issues . I was also a little bit bum to know it will take 6 months as a required from my insurance to pay 100 percent of everything. Thanks for listening.