Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting hungry after fill

I had my first fill last Thursday and for the first few days I wasn't hungry at all. Now one week out I'm starting to feel myself getting hungrier and can eat more. I've seen some people here that say they eat like 3/4 of a cup of food at each meal. I can eat way more than that. Does anyone else get this way? I'm pretty sure I will ask my surgeon for a second fill in February.

Hi Shutuplena, you are not alone in this dilemna, I went for a 2nd fill, two days ago and I was drinking the liquids as instructed but I was and still am so hungry that I went ahead and ate some solid foods, though I chewed it good but I did not feel any restriction, does this mean I have to go back or what, since my last fill I have gained 7lbs over the holidays thats why I went for the fill because I was eating more "over a cup girl!" Please someone out there with some suggestion!!!

I havent had a fill yet. I had the surgery 12/13/06 and get my first fill on 1/16/07. I can eat WAY more than 3/4 of a cup with no problems. Hopefully, the fill will take care of that.

Hi chubster808, yes you wont feel any restriction at this time,as we are all different, they said they dont fill it at first to allow any swelling that may have occurred during surgery to go down, my doctor said 'It just hang there like a necklace" till you get the first fill.... so hang on there and wait for the first fill!!!

Good Luck.

I just went for my second fill this morning. After the first week after the first fill, I felt no restriction. Folks here said the first fill sometimes absorbs into the dry band. So I went for my second fill this morning, and none of the liquid from my first fill had been absorbed. They said the band was loose becase I had lost fat around my stomach. so they put in more fill. I didn't feel a restriction, but it showed up as good on the fluoroscope. I said it wasn't enough. they said it was. They had just come back from a lecture by the Dr. who brought this surgery to the USA, and he said you need a fill of you are "food-seeking" and when you leave after getting your fill, you should no longer be hungry. Well, I had my second fill a few hours ago, and I am hungry and feel no restriction. Sigh.

So... I called the place where I got my fill this morning, and the person who answered the phones said I was only supposed to eat Soups. I told her I was told to only eat soft foods and not Soups. (After a fill, Spiegel's people are to do liquids, and Spivak's people are to do soft foods). Then she said that no one is allowed to come back for at least 3 weeks. Then I spoke with the nurse who said I could come back any time after 24 hours. Sigh.

Anyway, my plan is to do what I'm told and wait and see how the weekend goes. Double sigh.

had my first fill last thursday, did not feel any restriction at all, had gained 6 lbs since surgery 11/16/06. can't eat as much as before but eat a whole lot more than a cup full. only have 1 cc in. Does the fill not take affect immediately? I thought it would have.

Sounds like you may not be filled enough. I would wait another week and see. If you are still hungry and aren't losing I would bump up the fill. What size band do you have? How much was put in?

What does this mean? I saw my 2nd fill on the fluoroscope, and there was definitely restriction on th epicture, but I don't feel any. They had me gulp down some Water after, to make sure it went through, and they asked me if I felt the restriction. I never did. Same way with the first fill. How is it possible to see it, and not feel it???

Well Im glad Im not the only one out there with these problems. I go for my first fill this Friday and currently I can eat a whole lot-a food. I feel really bad, like I am sabatoging everything I have gone through. I hope I feel some restriction with this fill because heaven help me if I stretch this pouch out too much!

:hungry: boy am i glad i saw this post! I am so glad that everyone here is feeling what i am feeling! I had my surgery on 11/14/06. i had my first fill in dec. and i can still eat! i do not feel any restriction either. well i cant say i dont feel any, i cannot eat as much as i used to by all means, but i can eat. when i hear people eat so little, i do not. i can eat one pork chop and veggies. i can eat a lot. i eat real slow and i chew a lot and i have no problem getting it down. sometimes i feel a pain if i eat too fast or dont chew enough and then it passes. i am so darn worried about gaining weight. i go see doc today first time in about 6 weeks! i am scared that i did not loose cause i am always hungry. i have no problems eating all three meals. and i am always looking for snacks! so hopefully i can get a "sweet" fill today and feel the tool working! i am just glad i am not alone here! i will let everyone know how my visit with doc went. wish me luck and weight loss!!!!! :clap2:

I was banded on the 12th of Jan and had my first fill on the 25th. My doc usually wants to wait 3-4 weeks after surgery for your first fill but he let me go ahead. He told me he likes people to wait because it can take that long for the swelling in the stomach to go down. He says if you get a fill and then your stomach shrinks you won't feel the fill.

But I went ahead anyway. I really feel no different than before the fill. I don't know how much I can eat at one time because I won't let myself find out but I'm certainly not having to choke down a couple tablespoons of soup! I'm pretty discouraged at this point, which I know is ridiculous.

I plan on getting another fill as soon as they'll let me. I'm a self-pay and don't have to pay for fills for the first year so I'm hoping to get my money's worth out of this!

If anybody has a solution please let me know!!!

I was banded early Nov. was able to eat a little less than norm. 1st fill before Christmas.. was able to eat just a little less. Averaging about 1300-1400 calories a day. Losing very slowly but losing. (Exercising 4-5 times a week) Now last week had my 2nd fill BIG difference. Rarely eat more than 4-5 bits. bread is out of the question. chicken practically has to be shredded. I now finally understand the struggle to get enough protiend consumed. Before no problem... 2nd fill has been the answer for me.