Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved August 7th

It's kind of long but here's my story :) I started this whole process about 2 years ago and decided I wasn't ready for such a life style change. I tried to lose the weight on my own just with diet and exercise and lost about 40 pounds, I was thrilled with that. It was the most I had ever lost. I then eased up on the exercise and wasn't so strict with my diet and soon the weight was creeping back on. It was then that I decided I needed to take a bigger step in my weight loss journey. I met with my doctor at the end of June, 2013 and was put on the fast track to meet with the surgeon to try to accommodate my leaving for school at the end of August. To my surprise I got an appointment with Dr. Suh August 1. I explained that I would be going out of state for school and may have to schedule my surgery during Christmas break, his reply was want to get sleeved next week? YES YES YES! My surgery was scheduled for August 7th and just like that it was happening. I hadn't even had the chance to tell my friends and family I was thinking of having the surgery. I just figured it wouldn't be for many more months I can ease into telling everyone. I told my immediate family right after I got my surgery date and another surprise... I got a totally different reaction than I was thinking. They all were extremely supportive, encouraging and overall happy for me. They had seen how hard I tried on my own and knew I needed additional help. I was too busy building up my armor against those who would imply all I needed to do was eat less and be more active and weight loss surgery is just an easy way out to think about how much they love and support me in everything else that I do. Time flew by and next thing I knew I was getting hooked up to the IV sharing my excitement with my mom about how the day is finally here, it was surgery day. I had a rough day after the surgery and slept almost the entire day. Day 2 I had more visitors but wasn't feeling up for company and wasn't bouncing back as well as I thought I would be. By that night/early morning day 3 I had my nervous breakdown "I don't want to do this, what was I thinking, I can't handle this" thing and was really discouraged about everything. I had a fantastic nurse who talked me through it and said if I wasn't ready to go home I was more than welcome to stay another night at the hospital. I was reassured and my confidence was boosted with her kind words and reassuring smile. By midmorning day 3 I was ready to go home. I was finally on the mend, walking those halls like I owned the place. I was released from the hospital that evening and was eager to sleep in my own bed and sleep for more than 2 hours without someone coming in to poke and pinch me. They sent me home with pain killers but I have yet to use them. The only pain I have is gas pains and Gas-X takes care of that. Everyday I seem to be improving a little more. I have no regrets. I am thrilled with my choice to be sleeved and I am looking forward to the next steps in my weight loss journey :)

Hi!! I was sleeved Aug 1st, and I'm right there with you! Super excited for both of us!!

I was sleeved August 7th also! I'm feeling good better than expected. How in the world were you able to get insurance approved so quickly? Did you not have to see a nutritionist and psychologist?

My insurance is Kaiser and Dr. Suh's office took care of getting my approvals, no idea why it happened so quickly. I saw the nutritionist during my 12 week program 2 years ago so I only met with one during my hospital stay to kind of refresh things and I was able to get my appointment with the psychologist the same day I met with Dr. Suh, went straight from his office to the psychologist's office!