Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My psychologist exam no clear answer.

She claims I suffer from depression and anxiety. Wants me to seek pre-surgery pharmacological management, referral to psychiatry or counseling services. I'm doomed, doesn't have a sincere clearance for surgery. Enclosing has I wish you success in your effort. Anyone letter have that on it?

Does that mean she won't approve you for surgery?

What do you think? Do you agree with her assessment, or do you think you should talk to someone else?

You are not doomed. So many people need a bit of help via medication and counseling. I started psych counseling with my pre-surgical eval. I never quit going. I go twice a month and believe that is why I am so successful. Just because you need a little "mental" help - should not disqualify you for surgery. I would recommend getting a second eval done if you are not comfortable with what that person gave you. Not all the "professionals" get it right every time. Good luck.

To be honest that doesnt sound so great, but if it makes you feel better my therapist was as clear as mud. We didnt hit it off, she was super thin and weird, and I found her irritating. She repeatedly asked me why I ate and I told her it was because I really enjoyed food and it was one of the only I things I do for me. Finally I told her I didnt really want to get into whatever deep problem she thought she saw inside of me, I just wanted the surgery because I could lose weight but I always went back to poor eating habits and regained it so tell me the magic words to get the crap over with. After two appointments (and copays) she was suddenly confident that I was sufficiently cured but told me I could only get her clearance if I didnt gain anymore weight. I managed not to, and so never had to see her again. Is there a way you can assert a personality conflict and start over with a new one?

Angry, Did your letter have the words cleared for surgery? Mine never once states those words. Just what she suggested I do.

Does that mean she won't approve you for surgery?

What do you think? Do you agree with her assessment' date=' or do you think you should talk to someone else?[/quote']

It's not clear to me. Just states good luck.

I never got a letter she asked me if I wanted her to approve me, I said obviously. She said she would approve me conditionally, the condition was that if I gained more weight I would have to go to more therapy, if not she would leave me alone. I only know that I got cleared because I didnt have to see her again and the next time I saw the nutritionist she told me I was done with therapy. Perhaps she wants you to commit to therapy while continuing through the process? It takes a while anyways and that wouldnt stop you from moving forward.

So if I get on drugs for anxiety, that is the pre surgery intervention she states when she suggested pharmacological management?

Hey I didn't get a letter. But she said she didn't think I would any problems. Just to be prepared for pain as I am getting hernia repare at same time.

Mine said basically the same. Suffer from depression and anxiety, wanted me to see herself or someone else. Only difference is that I was already medicated. Had my sleeve 3 1/2 mos ago. Mainly in the psy exam (unless you get a whacko) they are looking for people with extreme mental illness who may self harm with the procedure.

Talked to wls coordinator and I have to be put on medication for anxiety by primary physician. Do counseling services before a clearance will be issued. What a set back. Thinking more about Mexico!

My friend who had the surgery earlier this year was in therapy and then agreed to do more as a condition of her approval. She is not on meds, but the therapist had no probs approving her for surgery since she agreed to continue with therapy.

I would call and ask for a specific yes or no. You have that right after having seen the therapist.

Talked to wls coordinator and I have to be put on medication for anxiety by primary physician. Do counseling services before a clearance will be issued. What a set back. Thinking more about Mexico!

I hadn't refreshed my page to see this. I would ask for a timeline of how long this will take. Then you can decide if you want to get another psych eval (second opinion). They should be able to give you a timeline and if you don't agree, you should be able to request a second opinion.

I hadn't refreshed my page to see this. I would ask for a timeline of how long this will take. Then you can decide if you want to get another psych eval (second opinion). They should be able to give you a timeline and if you don't agree' date=' you should be able to request a second opinion.[/quote']

The surgeon requires at least 4 visits. The counselor may release you sooner.

Did you go to a psychologist referred by your surgeon? I ask because I was able to go to any psychologist I wanted, but my surgeon's office worked with someone who knew the requirements, what was needed for clearance, etc. I chose to go with that doctor and I had no problems. He mainly focussed on making sure I understood the surgery risks and that I had realistic expectations. Sometimes these doctors don't really know what they are doing unless they have experience with WLS evaluations. If you decide to get a second opinion, check if your surgeon's office recommends someone. Otherwise, I would look online in your area and make some calls to ask specifically if they have experience with WLS evaluations.

I don't think it is fair for her to not clear you for surgery, even if she recommends therapy/medication. I take anitdepressants and I go to therapy, but that doesn't mean that I didn't qualify for surgery.