Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What should I expect with my endoscopy

My endoscopy is Tuesday and I've never had one so I'd like to know your experience.

Vixey,

An endo is a piece of cake. You can't eat or drink after midnight. You get an iv, they put a drug in it which makes you fall asleep and then you wake up after the examination. You are a little groggy and need to have someone drive you home. Nothing to worry about. Trust me. I have had at least 4 in my lifetime.

Good luck. I imagine later Tuesday you will be posting that I was worried for nothing. Since you have never had one before it is nerves about the unknown.

Endoscopy is a peice of cake. I had just a little groggy & slight itchy throat that was gone before i left the hospital. No pain at all & was able to eat a normal dinner the same

Endoscopy is really easy. In fact, my surgeon performed it in a fancy suit (must have been speaking publicly around the same time). He said " you are going to feel a little warmth" and then you are waking up in your recovery room. It is that easy. :)

You are not really put under like the full blown VSG; rather, you are put into twilight sleep. You are just asleep enough not to remember anything. Somebody tell me where I can get some of that good stuff for my insomnia or otherwise bad post op sleep nights. :) I would love to sleep like that every night.

Endoscopy is really easy. In fact' date=' my surgeon performed it in a fancy suit (must have been speaking publicly around the same time). He said " you are going to feel a little warmth" and then you are waking up in your recovery room. It is that easy. :)

You are not really put under like the full blown VSG; rather, you are put into twilight sleep. You are just asleep enough not to remember anything. Somebody tell me where I can get some of that good stuff for my insomnia or otherwise bad post op sleep nights. :) I would love to sleep like that every night.[/quote']

I am so with you on that Fiddleman. I am always like it was the best sleep I have had in a long time and want to sleep a little longer.

Conscious sedation. Versed is the medication used. U will remember going in getting prepped and might remember getting the meds then u remember waking and feeling drowsy. Easy peasy!!!!

thanks guys!

Conscious sedation. Versed is the medication used. U will remember going in getting prepped and might remember getting the meds then u remember waking and feeling drowsy. Easy peasy!!!!

Oh neat. You can probably get a proscription for the versed drug Midazolam:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midazolam

Forget ambien for insomnia. This is the good stuff. :)

Vixey-- here is a post about my endoscopy that i posted 7/29 it detailed about my experience hope it helps

Posted July 29, 2013 - 7:48 AM

So i finally had my egd this past friday. i wanted to post about it with details for anyone who is so scared to have this done as i was. It really was a peice of cake!

It took about 15mins. I went in and they gave me an i.v. then they asked me to turn on my side. They put something in my mouth to bite down on gently (i guess so they could insert the scope).

I remember looking at my dr he was holding the tubing and the camera and i was thinking im not gonna be able to do this. Then the other dr said we are going to make you sleepy now. Thats the last thing i remember. I dont remember getting drowsy or anything. All of a sudden i was dreaming about taking my daughters to school. I dreamed that i was drinking something and that it had trickled down the side of my cheek. The next thing i knew they were waking me up telling me it was done. The trickle i felt was actually a little drool lol....So it really was so easy i had all that worry for nothing.

I was pretty loopy afterward for a while. I also made the mistake of eating a regular dinner right afterward. Be careful with that b/c i ate so heavily that i was uncomfortable for the rest of the night. i could just feel it sitting in my stomach.

That being said, the doctor said I have gastritis and a haitial hernia. He also scheduled me for a colonsocopy for sept 6.

I had a nasal endoscopy. Fully awake with just a numbing spray used in the nose and throat. Wouldn't have been bad at all if I didn't have a highly sensitive gag reflex. Once it was in there was just some pressure and I could even see the screeen which was cool.

I had a nasal endoscopy. Fully awake with just a numbing spray used in the nose and throat. Wouldn't have been bad at all if I didn't have a highly sensitive gag reflex. Once it was in there was just some pressure and I could even see the screeen which was cool.

That sounds hard! I guess I am chicken when it comes to sticking tubes down your throat. :) glad for the happy sleep drugs...

That sounds hard! I guess I am chicken when it comes to sticking tubes down your throat. :) glad for the happy sleep drugs...

Lol....me too. I don't wanna be awake for that!!!

Yeah I would have a panic attack if I would be awake for it.

Endoscopy is really easy. In fact' date=' my surgeon performed it in a fancy suit (must have been speaking publicly around the same time). He said " you are going to feel a little warmth" and then you are waking up in your recovery room. It is that easy. :)

You are not really put under like the full blown VSG; rather, you are put into twilight sleep. You are just asleep enough not to remember anything. Somebody tell me where I can get some of that good stuff for my insomnia or otherwise bad post op sleep nights. :) I would love to sleep like that every night.[/quote']

We call that " The Michael Jackson" drug.

I get to have a test very similar to that on Wednesday. Mine is called an esophageal motility study or manometry exam. Mine is to check for swallowing problems and check the sphincter muscles between the esophagus and stomach. I have heart burn issues so that is why this test is ordered for me. They record your swallowing Water for 10 segments. Should be a "fun time" with a ng tube and lap band and trying to swallow.