Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Favorite love to hate exercise

Now isn't that a mind bender?

What is an exercise that you hate so much, you LOVE to hate it because it is so good for you?

Mine used to be pull-ups. Pull-ups are ok now that i can do 10-20 unassisted in a row. Now I love to hate toes to bar exercise. This is essentially where you hang from a high metal bar with your arms straight and you have to use your core strength to get your toes to touch the bar where your fingers are at or above the bar. My trainer made me do almost 200 of these today. And today was my first exposure to them!! Yup- I love to hate T2B exercises and need to get good at them. They are good for me :) I hate you so much I love you T2B!!!! :) better strap me down now while I still have some sanity. :)

Here are the T2B exercises in context of my cross fit workout today:

1600 m run

Stretches

Cross fit warmup - 10 of each: air squats, push ups, pull ups, ght sit ups, back extensions, lunges

5 sets of 4 dead lifts @ 300 lb

1600 m run

50 T2B

55 Kettle bell snatches @ 55 lbs

800 m run

60 T2B

65 kettle bell snatches @ 55 lbs

400 m run

75 T2B

80 kettle bell snatches @ 55 lbs

Time : 16 min 25 seconds

Fore arms and hands on fire and HURT. Worked hard, but not broken yet. A little crampy and nauseous from the work, but basically ok. haven't tossed any Cookies yet from a workout. I asked my trainer to break me and she laughed and said I am not ready to be broken. i want to feel what it is like where I cannot do anything the next day. I am always ok with these types of workouts for the next day to do another workout. Waiting to be broken... Lol. Break me already!

I may sound a little crazy in this read, but I am really not. Just having a good time. I am training for the cross fit open at the national games next year.

I worked out tonight...or so I thought, until I read your post! LOL

Wow, talk about inspiring...keep it up!

Mine is track sprints. I'm doing week 2 of C25K right now but sprinting all the runs and slow jogging all the walks...

So it's....

Sprint 60 seconds,

Slow jog 90

Sprint 90

Slow jog 90

Repeat 5 times.

Oh Fudge....do you know what your aorta taste like? I do.

The last couple of slow jogs end up being walks...trying not to vomit. But the result has been much faster mile times on my regular long runs. And a recent first place 10K in my age bracket because I was able to find a high gear and hold it the last mile and a half of the race.

BTB, I do get a taste of acid reflux from time to time and get darn near tunnel vision after some of these workouts. However, I am not overdoing the HIIT cardio yet. At least it does not feel like it. It does take me anywhere from 30m to 1 hour after the work out for my energy to come back. Before that, feel weak. :) I fill up on BCAA and recovery shake after workout, but you know it is not until I hydrate a bunch that my energy returns. This might be a sign I am getting really dehydrated from all the sweating. I did cramp up a little during the running above and needed to do some Jedi mind tricks on myself to prevent full out cramping, that would have killed the workout right there. I do not generally drink during a cross fit workout because it will just come up from the full on intensity.

By the way, you are an awesome inspiration in your running accomplishments.

I will drink at least 24 oz of Water before a workout like mine above. 32 oz before a long run. Meaning I have to start drinking 45-60 minutes before hand. And yes, in the last few months I've taken to adding BCAAs to my water before a morning workout. Then Meal Replacement shake right after. Usually Met-Rx.

Oh....and I quit having any sort of cramps, along with dizzy spells I was getting from standing up suddenly, when I started adding propel zero to my Water a couple of times per day.

That sounds like an electrolyte imbalance you were having previously. I still get the dizzy spells and head rushes when getting up too fast from a seated position. I am used to it though. When lifting heavy dead lifts like above (300-350), I really REALLY get the head rushes. What a trip from those! However, my trainer said these head rushes are normal for every lifter on dead lifts.

Ok, now that I have hijacked my own thread... :)

Lets hear some more of those exercises that you just love to hate.

I love to hate anything Ab related... I hate it b/c I'm not great at it but man when you get in a good ab workout it feels great. Same thing with burpees... HATE those not sure I love them to any extent though, but I do love that they work! haha!

Lately my gym routine has been on that list... hate when my weights increase but it's been helpful when I get in weightloss stalls!!

Love me some running and kickboxing, don't hate those one bit! :)

Robin - yup: burpees are cruel and unusual punishment! One step down from waterboarding as torture? I think so. Lol. The burpees are especially bad when they are part of a squat, dead lift or overhead press circuit. Burpees: one of those exercises you either love or hate. Or in our case - love to hate!!

For me it's burpees. I'm reasonably certain that if you rearrange the letters in the word burpees (maybe in another language) you end up with Satan

For me it's burpees. I'm reasonably certain that if you rearrange the letters in the word burpees (maybe in another language) you end up with Satan

Lol!! Don't you know it!

How many burpees do you guys end up doing as part of your routine?

For me, one burpee is one too many! However, im only up to one set of five. I am pre-op (surgery will be on the 19th). Hopefully it will get better once there's less of me to hoist up.

For burpees, it depends, in the routine I did yesterday I did 2 sets of 5-8, whatever I could get done in the interval. I have one video where I'm doing them for a minute a couple times a workout and it feels like the longest minute ever. I counted down the minute as opposed to the number of burpees I get done... seems more productive haha!