Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anniversary Blood test anxiety

I am 13 months post op and have a little anxiety about getting the first anniversary blood results. Everything is going so well post op in terms of weight loss and fitness. I have taken a number of supplements along the way and have hiccups here and there with regards to body indications. I do not want to hear in results: "you have a liver problem"," you have a kidney problem," " your white blood cell count is too high'" etc. Ignorance is bliss? I don't want something for either my wife or I to worry about. I would rather just go on assuming everything is fine and if something comes up, i deal with it at that time. Need some vet advice.

Better to catch it in the bud.. Or butt ;D

I love having my blood test results. They are always "too good to be true" and is somehow reinforcement that I have transformed my health. It motivates me, it is a big pat on the back.

Have you considered the possibility that your bloodwork is better then fine, but is freaking awesome?

Jane - For some reason, no... I guess I should just go do it and let the results speak for themselves. My six months labs were amazing.

My anxiety comes from little feedback issues I get from my body in the last 2-3 months. Nothing major, but things like cramping all the time, bruising way to easily, excessive stiffness (even though I stretch and roll every day before and after fitness), lack of good quality sleep, little pain aches on the sides of my chest close to arm pits (feels like bee stings), painful urination on occasion, slow urination, yada, yada. Sorry for the TMI. Just wanted to list out a couple things.

None of these things really bother me enough to do anything about it. I can tolerate it. More than tolerate it because I am still kicking my fitness through the roof and generally happy with my relation with eating a most Protein diet as a maintainer.

Fiddle, you are the supplement king! But do you think that maybe you take to many? I mean not the normal Vitamins and minerals we take. But sometimes my head spins when I start reading all the new things you add in..

You know I love you (and mrs Fiddleman too)

But sometimes keeping simple through good simple nutrition is not a bad thing.

I agree Laura and am going to try and simplify. Certainly will be less expensive to say the least. It has taken many months of trying different supplements to see what produces the best results for me in tandem with lots and Lita of daily research so I can understand both the physical response and the contraindicators, if in fact some exist when taking in tandem. I think my research has paid off as there are only 2-3 additional supplements above and beyond the usual Protein, Vitamins and minerals that really work well for me that consistently provide good results. Tossed all the things that produce a meh physical response.

Try not to have anxiety, it's better to get it done and know if something is going on or not. You have done such a great job and are so in tune with your body. I would think that you would want to know why those things you mentioned above are happening. Especially the bruising too easily, I would want an answer for that. Also, if you are taking too many supplements wouldn't you want to know? Being the health nut that you are, I imagine you only want what's best for your body.

I have a feeling you will come back from getting those results and realize that all of the anxiety you had was for nothing!

I've had elevated liver enzymes (idiopathic, disappeared the next time round) elevated Vitamin D (fine, just take it every other day) and slightly high Iron (WTF YAY!! I've been anemic in the past) and other odd results. Thing is, my GP keeps pointing out, if we did these kinds of full panels all the time we'd find all sorts of weird shite, but because of WLS we get more blood panels and more slightly weird one-offs. But really? WE ARE GOOD!!!

Fiddle...I have to side with Laura on this. I did a random google search for excessive stiffness. This was the first link I got...

http://www.freemd.com/s1/excessive-muscle-stiffness.htm

The first cause of excessive muscle stiffness on this list is drug abuse. The second cause is drug side effect. The third is fybromyalgia....I doubt you have fybromyalgia. I'm not saying supplements don't have their place, but it doesn't have to be complicated. A good Multivitamin, and intake of proper macro nutrients will just about do the trick for the average person. You seem to be looking for the exact recipe to bring about peak performance. I think that's admirable, but it comes close to looking like "magic pill syndrome". Who here hasn't been guilty of that in the past...looking for that magic pill that will make our excess weight suddenly fall off, or the pill that will make our hair grow out, our skin tight and sexy....or whatever. All I'm saying is... be careful you're not slipping over that gray area where looking for a little help becomes excessive.

And now that I'm through lecturing you....go to the doc and get your blood work done. Besides the fact that you're a healthy guy, you've also got some symptoms you need to discuss with the doc. Good luck my friend.

After reading all the responses, I have called and started the process of ordering the blood panels. Thanks everyone.

I think you will be fine! Brent and I had spectacular 1 year bloodwork - everything was right where it should be, and this was with not always being so vigilant with the supplements (miss a day or two here or there - don't like a new Vitamin so I am not taking any of that today etc.) I think you and Lauri (sp?) have made such remarkable improvements to your health over the last years that the thought of getting news that you might be off on anything might make one nervous - I predict everything will be great!

Fiddle...I have to side with Laura on this. I did a random google search for excessive stiffness. This was the first link I got...

http://www.freemd.co...e-stiffness.htm

The first cause of excessive muscle stiffness on this list is drug abuse. The second cause is drug side effect. The third is fybromyalgia....I doubt you have fybromyalgia. I'm not saying supplements don't have their place, but it doesn't have to be complicated. A good Multivitamin, and intake of proper macro nutrients will just about do the trick for the average person. You seem to be looking for the exact recipe to bring about peak performance. I think that's admirable, but it comes close to looking like "magic pill syndrome". Who here hasn't been guilty of that in the past...looking for that magic pill that will make our excess weight suddenly fall off, or the pill that will make our hair grow out, our skin tight and sexy....or whatever. All I'm saying is... be careful you're not slipping over that gray area where looking for a little help becomes excessive.

And now that I'm through lecturing you....go to the doc and get your blood work done. Besides the fact that you're a healthy guy, you've also got some symptoms you need to discuss with the doc. Good luck my friend.

Have to agree with BTB, and LV on this. As much knowledge, time, and money you have spent on getting optimum nutrition, fitness, etc. I would think that you would WANT to see blood results. The labs, combined with you listing out ALL of your supplements, (make a list and write down what worked and didn't,) bring all of this to your dr. visit and hopefully you can get some answers that you are looking for. And definitely write down a list of the things you mentioned about how you feel in general. Good luck!

Interesting - My vit D and Iron were slightly high too! I don't take iron supplements so that was a puzzle.

I realized that my Premier Protein is like taking another Vitamin pill; but since i have become a "gummy" vitamin taker these days - I just cannot stomach the high quality Vitamins, I am pleased as punch that everything is normal range (except above) and that all the other non vitamin indicators are awesome good.

My personal opinion is that supplements are important for WLS patients BUT nothing replaces eating a good diet with lots of fresh veggies in addition to the Protein sources.

Fiddle: Waiting to hear the results! I posted mine. Everything was good except too much Vitamin B. I take a full regimen of vitamins: 2 multis a day, a D, bunch of Calcium, B12 sublingual once a week and a little less B complex (three times a week now instead of daily).

Lynda