Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

rhabdomylosis condition

This condition can be caused by too much physical activity where excessive breakdown of muscle tissue occurs combined with dehydration according to how my trainer described it yesterday. You would think to solve the dehydration problem with drinking a lot of coconut Water, but that might actually introduce rhabdomyolysis .

Basically, your kidneys shut down from too much potassium in the blood stream. She said that marathoners, big lifters or very active conditioners ( eg cross fit, sport training) are the people who should watch out for it. 4 hours of insanity DVD a day might cause it? That last one is just me thinking out loud.

The reason my trainer brought this up is because I said I often get muscle cramping (calf) in cross fit (about once a week) and start to feel a little like vomiting after pushing hard in a sprint WOD at the end of a session. I have been drinking about a coconut water a day to try and combat a combination of muscle cramping and mild dehydration, but perhaps should keep an eye on potassium levels. I do not think I am a candidate for getting said condition, but need to monitor hydration.

If you ever see cocoa colored urine(not me), go straight to the ER and they will immediately IV you in order to do a bodily flush out. usually you will vomit and get muscle spasms before full blown rhabdomyolysis.

Just something to be aware of if you are a long distance runner or spend lots of time conditioning with weight month after month, perhaps without giving your body the proper rest and the proper hydration. Maybe just stash this information away in the back of your mind.

More info can be found on wikipedia:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhabdomyolysis

Do you take statins by any chance? They can cause rhabdomylosis in some people. Some doctors recommend taking Coenzyme Q10 supplementation to help. Statins deplete coq10 in our blood and perpetuate the problem.

No statin meds for me like lipitor. I have taken lisimopril (lower blood pressure) and citalopram (SSRI) in the past. Took a muscle relaxant at one point. Are there any natural medicines that would also inhibit coq10? I have never taken the coq10 supplement before either. I am not saying with this thread that I have the condition. Just putting out a warning.

Also throwing it out there, muscle cramps are very frequently caused by dehydration. Sodium levels play a big part in cramps. More so than potassium issues. Another thread we were discussing how a few sips of pickle juice helps with the dehydration and sodium deficiencies. It really works. And there is mounting evidence to support it. Like a shot glass full - not a lot.

But rhabdo can have less shocking symptoms than tea or cola colored urine. Decreased urine output (oliguria), muscle soreness, stiffness (especially if you're not upping your workout and you're staying sore), fatigue, muscle stiffness, unintentional weight gain (likely edema) and joint pain.

Treatment involves upping the fluids, but also adding sodium bicarbonate. Hospital it is given IV. Sodium bicarb is found in many antacids. It protects the kidneys from the byproducts of muscle breakdown that can damage them. Severe cases of rhabdo can cause acute renal failure. Nothing to play with.

The combination of severe muscle trauma (including from workouts) with suboptimal hydration can cause rhabdo. A mild case can cause damage to the kidneys. Hydration is ssoooooo freakin' important!

edit - Don't try to treat yourself if you suspect rhabdo. They are trying to flush the kidneys. But outside of a clinical setting you are risking Fluid overload if your kidneys start shutting down. You may not get the alarming symptoms until irreparable harm has been done to the kidneys. It only takes 60-90 minutes of decreased blood flow to the kidneys to end up on dialysis.

Good point about sodium. I try and minimize sodium intake.