Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why did you choose sleeve over bypass?

I started at the band and realized the sleeve was for me, but now I am wondering if bypass is the way I should go. What made you decide?? I've ward bypass is better for grazers and sugar snackers, but I'm afraid of the serious complications of by pass. Thoughts?

I chose sleeve because I read allot about the pouch stretching and all the weight coming back. second with the sleeve they take out the area that produces grenlin which is a hormone that causes hunger. Third Bypass has long term malabsorption issues with fat soluble vitamins.And finally which is biggest reason why I choose sleeve the anatomy of our intestines. With the sleeve it is not really changed or rerouted like bypass. Good luck to you on which ever procedure you choose

I agree, also I chose th sleeve because with all the great reasons Maria said above, it also is not that much of a variance between average loss among RnY and Sleeve patients. Not worth all the other "stuff" that goes on to reroute my insides just to be within 10 lbs of average weight loss.

Also, dumping is less of a chance with the Sleeve. Although, I am a dumper. So take that for what it's worth.

As an FYI, I was a grazer and also had a horrible sweet tooth. Since surgery, I no longer even look at sweets (I'm fairly new out but still at 8 weeks I have no desire)...since I don't crave sweets, I no longer graze. So far this surgery has fixed my 2 biggest eating probs.

With the sleeve you are able to get some nutrients where as with the bypass you only absorb some nutrients in your bowels..Your bowels are designed to take the last bit of good out of what you eat and then waste.

Your stomach is small but it is still there and your stomach acids still break down food and use it for your body. We need a certain amount of Protein to be successful and i don't see how the bypass can get enough good out of what we eat....The pouch is as small as the sleeve..

Eating junk or grazing only leads to dumping with the bypass....Not healthy and not nice.....When I learned about this I switched to the sleeve...

How ever that said I am among a very tiny percentage that has both due to complications with the sleeve....But I look at it as if I only have the sleeve because that was the one that made the most sense to me.. :)

Thanks guys that is definitely helpful! The idea of the bypass makes me nervous, I just didn't want to go brought surgery and then fail!

I was beginning to think I wouldn't work at the sleeve. Like I was sleeve broken

I have always had issues with low Iron, and RNY would only make that worse -- so I went with the sleeve and I am super happy that I did!

I chose the sleeve over RNY because it didn't seem as radical (even though it probably is). I didn't want the malabsorption issues either. I have 2 friends that have had RNY, and while they had great success in the beginning, both have had regain. I'm hoping my tool keeps me on track and accountable for the rest of my life.

Sleevers do often have malabsorption and gastric bypass patients still have stomach acid. Everyone, please do your research. I chose the sleeve but it isn't right for everyone.

OP, you are going to get mostly pro-sleeve answers here. Ask in the RNY forums too.

I chose the sleeve because I wanted to spend my life educating the uninformed who ask, "did you have a lapband or bypass?" That's all that anyone has heard of.

Seriously though, the sleeve offered me the best weight loss without the complications of the other options. Best decision I ever made!

I chose the sleeve because I wanted to spend my life educating the uninformed who ask' date=' "did you have a lapband or bypass?" That's all that anyone has heard of.

Seriously though, the sleeve offered me the best weight loss without the complications of the other options. Best decision I ever made![/quote']

OMG! I just realized that I sound real snarky with my comment about the uninformed. I certainly didn't mean that you or anyone on this site was uninformed. WE all know what we are doing. It's just most of the general public at large.

Sorry, I walked too long and too fast this morning and wore myself out. I'm a little more snarky than usual.

I chose the sleeve mainly because I did not want to deal with having my intestines messed with and the malabsorption problems that come along with bypass. And not to say anything negative about bypass, but the few people that I know that had bypass all have issues and look generally unhealthy, tired, one girl had yellowing of the skin.. It sorta put me off of Bypass. Also my surgeon pointed out, I'm fairly young and if I do end up having complications from the bypass I have LONG life of problems ahead of me. The sleeve just has so much less risk and the success rate is nearly just as high as Bypass. I originally was going to go with the Band but after doing my research I decided it wasn't a good option for me.

I chose sleeve because I read allot about the pouch stretching and all the weight coming back. second with the sleeve they take out the area that produces grenlin which is a hormone that causes hunger. Third Bypass has long term malabsorption issues with fat soluble Vitamins.And finally which is biggest reason why I choose sleeve the anatomy of our intestines. With the sleeve it is not really changed or rerouted like bypass. Good luck to you on which ever procedure you choose

I agree with Maria. I feel hungry a lot (and not just head hunger) so wanted the benefits of not feeling hungry to help me be more successful. I also did not want malabsorption issues. I went in guns a blazin' though for the band. After talking to my surgeon about my particular struggles with weight loss, he recommended the sleeve. He would have done whatever surgery I wanted, but I knew with the number of surgeries under his belt and his experience, he knew what was better for me than I did. So, I chose the sleeve.

Laura

You probably won't lose your appetite forever with the sleeve. Most people report that the hunger comes back (sometimes quite forcefully) around the one-year mark. A few people have hunger even a few days post-op.

You probably won't lose your appetite forever with the sleeve. Most people report that the hunger comes back (sometimes quite forcefully) around the one-year mark. A few people have hunger even a few days post-op.

I hope it is less than it is now. If not, I feel the restriction aspect of the amount I can eat will also be a great tool. You're right, for some people it does come right back. I remember seeing that from the YouTube videos I have watched of other people's experiences.

Thanks for the info!

I was reading that is takes 30 days for the hunger hormone to be out of your system or lose effect, rather... Who knows.. All's I do know is that I'm 2 weeks post-op and the physical hunger feeling is coming back.. I'm dealing with head hunger but I know it's physical as well. I'm hoping that goes away soon.