Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Tomorrow...Fears

My husband is eating dinner, and I'm sitting here becoming more and more irritable/angry. I'm a bit (or a lot) worried about these emotions, as I still have work to do on my "head". I know it's part of the process, but it's interesting to me how terrified I am of not being able to eat. food really has such a control on me.

Anyone have any tips on how to handle being around family members eating during the early post-op days? I've been on shakes/broth for 14 days now, and I have done well, but with the surgery looming in the morning I'm really anxious.

Thanks for any advice, or even just a quick thought or prayer! :)

I have had to leave the room if it got to bad. Your surgery is tomorrow and the feeling of hunger will be a thing of the past. Your fear of tomorrow is very normal and after the surgery you will ask yourself what the heck did I do to myself.......That to is normal. When you get home prepare yourself for the head hunger that will drive you crazy. I promise it does get better and you will overcome it. Tomorrow is the beginning of the rest of your life one that will rival what you have been living. You can't believe how wonderful it feels to have the weight come off. Prayers will be sent your way!! Good luck and keep us posted once you feel better! Don't forget to ask for the flavored sponges from the nurse when you get to your room! They really help with hydrating your lips and mouth! :)

I have been around a lot of my family eating. I can not sit at home so I am out with friends and family usually around d dinner so I watch.

In pre op diet I couldn't stand it o would go to my room...

Now I'm not hungry. Does it suck yeah but do I feel like eating it yes but I know I can't so I drink my Protein or eat my Soup and drink my Water... Not easy but doable...

Hope that helps.

For me, the impossibility of eating and the anticipation of the pain it would give me did away with my appetite. I could barely get a little Water down. When I went through the stages I was well aware of my new stomach and it's limitations. I just didn't want to pick a fight with it.

My pre-op diet was much worse. I felt like Sam fighting off the big spider in Lord of the Rings with a little sword, (my will power).

After I got on to solid foods I went through a period of revulsion at the pigs in my family endlessly stuffing their faces. When I realized how little food I really needed to live and be strong I was angry that stuffing myself was such a big desire all my life.

I have calmed down since. I have learned to peacefully co-exist with the stretch-bellies. -_-

Thank you for the responses. I think a lot of it was anxiety about today. I'm waiting to be called back right now. Praying for no complications. Thank you again for the support. I know this wont be an easy journey, but I hope to come out the other side feeling happy with my decision.

Great topic - thanks for sharing! I think we all feel this way. Or, speaking for myself, I sure do. I think most of us on here have had some food insanity. Otherwise we wouldn't be considering major surgery. I am really looking forward to sanity returning when it comes to food. If you would, please update us all and let us know how you are doing! You'll do great - see you on the other side!!!

Good tjohnson. Keep is posted. I get mine in October and already I'm anxious

Thank you again, everyone! So far, things are going well. Surgery was smooth (according to my doctor). I did have sever nausea and a bit of pain upon waking. That passed after the first hour or so, thankfully. I have been walking easily, and sipping crystal light and Water. Sometimes I will get a painful/uncomfortable sensation after a sip, so I'm assuming that's part of the learning process!

Thank you again' date=' everyone! So far, things are going well. Surgery was smooth (according to my doctor). I did have sever nausea and a bit of pain upon waking. That passed after the first hour or so, thankfully. I have been walking easily, and sipping crystal light and Water. Sometimes I will get a painful/uncomfortable sensation after a sip, so I'm assuming that's part of the learning process![/quote']

Who was your doctor? And I'm so glad surgery went smooth. Yay. Keep me posted.

Another thing. We can use out cell phones in Mexico? In the hospital?

HELP! I'm at a huge loss. I'm trying to narrow down as to whom to choose for a Doctor. Two to three hundred dollar difference is not a big deal. I'm wondering of anyone can tell me who to lean towards. I'm scares enough and want this all over and happily sitting at home @sigh@