Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheating on Pre-op diet !

Im on my 4th day of the pre-op and i already cheated!! I had some grill chicken and little rice and Pasta salad... Im afraid i dont have the necessary will power and im afraid im going to become one of the few that lose weight only to gain it back in a couple of years! I know im probably just being paranoid about it... And i needed to vent

Perhaps you're right or perhaps you can overcome this. Many people have posted they slid off the pre-op diet. Get back up and go on it again.

Here is what worked for me: Instead of thinking of it as a preop diet, I thought of it as preparing for surgery.

I would like to have more to say on the subject other than I've struggled with this process and know that after all this and all the weight loss and gain years prior that I and you both will succeed. As we wait for the ultimate tool that we have needed for so long we will use it and appreciate the journey.

I just got approval from BCBS in two hours after submitting and will call Dr. tomorrow to see where I go from here.

Just know your capable of this change with sucess. :)

You already know you shouldn't cheat so I won't say that. I will say that the last thing you should cheat with is anything high carb like Pasta. According to my surgeon the reason for the pre-op diet is to shrink the liver so it will make for a safer surgery. The way to shrink it is with very low carbs. It really isn't optional. Most WLS. candidates have an enlarged liver. The surgeon will need to lift it out of the way during surgery and if its enlarged it could get lacerated. Also, you could wake up in recovery with incisions but no sleeve if its too large or firm to be safe.

I need to change the way i think because i notice that now that i know i cant eat i want to eat bad!! And before i was never obcess with that at all

I'll admit I cheated on mine. I waited until day 11, though. Three days before surgery, a coworker brought me some tamales her aunt made. She didn't know my surgery plan, so she really didn't know what she was putting in my lap. I literally could NOT fight the temptation (her tamales are AMAZINGGGG), I took them home with the intention of freezing them, but ended up eating one. And then about an hour later, I had a 2nd one. It was like i couldn't help myself. They were so good. I was so hungry. eating the first one woke my tummy up!!

I felt awful and contemplated throwing up, but didn't. I decided to own my mistake, take it, move on. No need to give myself another eating disorder (bulimia) out of guilt when it really wasn't the end of the world. Surgery went fine, and now I'm 3 months out, 58lbs down.

We're all human. To those who keep their will power on the pre-op diet, More power to you. I caved just that one time, but that's all it takes to officially be a cheater. That said, I wouldn't change it!

It is really not good to cheat for several important reasons. The first is you do not want the surgeon to open you up, see that your liver is too large and then sew you back up without doing the VSG. It just means you have to wait for XX amount of time before the doctor will see you again. The second, while not a deal breaker, is still very important. Preop diet gives you the rigor of preparing for the challenges of following the surgeons eating plan post op. It is better to be mentally prepared for it by following the preop diet. Now, you are only on day 4 so you have the time to get back on the wagon. Do it now for the reasons enumerated above. If you wait to get the cheating under control, it may be too late to correct any physical or mental issues before day of surgery. Good luck and know you have all of VST to turn to for support.

Thank you all! My main problem is that im struggling with this by myself as the only one that knows about my surgery plans is my husband and he is always working! Know i know i have all of you here to help me

I say just don't make it a habit and get back on the wagon. I cheated a few times on my pre op diet and my surgeon still found my liver to be great to do the surgery. With the food you said you cheated on shouldn't really be considered a massive setback cheat because you had a balanced Protein and yes a high carb meal, but you didn't have a all you can eat buffet. The pre op diet is to get you ready for those days ahead that you will not be eating any food for total of 6 weeks. Taking a bite here and there you will start to realize that you really don't want the food and will stick to your good ole liquid diet. I lost 32 lbs on my pre op diet,and I didn't exercise but very light walking at work and drinking all that yummy liquid. I had to go to the bathroom a lot and it was mentally hard but no matter what you think you will make it and don't be mad at yourself. You can't fix years of bad eating in 2 weeks. The surgery is a tool that you will use and rely on to assist you with making better choices. You can do this, trust me after the surgery you will not be hungry and that feeling that your having now will decrease as the days go by. No matter what don't quit and don't feel bad.

Don't be so hard on yourself! I cheated 3 days in because I had the worst headache. The doctor's office said it was fine to have some scrambled eggs. After that I got back on track. You're doing the best you can, doesn't mean you're going to fail after surgery! Good luck :)

I cant believe the wave of support i found here with all of you! I am determined to make this work and tomorrow i am starting going to the gym again and try to shed as many pounds as possible :)

It is also interesting the range of different types of pre op diets there are. For example, my doctor had us doing simply high Protein, low fat and low carb ( less then 20 g). In other words, it was a modified Atkins. Others on VST I see have to do all liquids. I can see eating the modified Atkins would be far easier then all liquids when it comes to not cheating.

Do not judge your performance by your pre op diet they're not even comparable post op is so much easier with your sleeve .