Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I haven't tried paleo bread yet' date=' but I bought a paleo cookbook called Well Fed. It seems to me that the paleo way of eating fits in pretty well with our post-op guidelines. We've made a few things so far & all were good. Last week, my hubs actually made the olive oil mayo from the book & it is amazing. I've used in several different things this week already.[/quote']

Ooh I'd been eying that book wondering if it was any good. Thanks for the info on it.

My husband lost almost 40 pounds by just giving up wheat. (I lost 7.) I buy almond flour at Whole Foods and make him "biscuits" containing cheese, garlic, onion powder, and Old Bay season. They're really good, but in no way are they like a real biscuits made with gluten-laden flour. These have more of a cornbread texture. They are excellent with coffee in the morning AND ARE CARB-FREE! Read the book Wheat Belly.

I have celiac disease. I cannot eat anything containing wheat barley or rye. When I was first dx'ed, because I only had a very basic understanding (which in retrospect served me far better) of what foods were gluten free, I only ate things like grilled chicken, or other meats, steamed vegetables, nuts, occasional rice and Beans, etc...I lost 40 pounds in what seemed like a flash...and kept it off, too. And then I slowly began to figure out that, Cheetos are gluten free, Cokes are gluten free, a hamburger is gluten free if you leave the bun off, even! And BAM! The pounds found their way back to me, the pound plus some, plus plus plus, I should say. My life has been way out of balance for years...and I have not made time to take care of my self...

I know that most people who stop eating wheat for health reasons consider it highly inflammatory. It can cause gut inflammation, joint inflammation, headaches, and more...my son eats gf/cf because we find that it improves his health issues and his autism symptoms.

Now all that being said :) I very rarely eat bread replacements...(even before sleeve, especially, I might say, since I am still on full liquids) but my son does. But I have found myself staring at the paleo breads, unable to purchase due to the large price vs. the small size. If you try it, or find one that is especially good, I would like to know!!! :)

I have celiac disease. I cannot eat anything containing wheat barley or rye. When I was first dx'ed' date=' because I only had a very basic understanding (which in retrospect served me far better) of what foods were gluten free, I only ate things like grilled chicken, or other meats, steamed vegetables, nuts, occasional rice and Beans, etc...I lost 40 pounds in what seemed like a flash...and kept it off, too. And then I slowly began to figure out that, Cheetos are gluten free, Cokes are gluten free, a hamburger is gluten free if you leave the bun off, even! And BAM! The pounds found their way back to me, the pound plus some, plus plus plus, I should say. My life has been way out of balance for years...and I have not made time to take care of my self...

I know that most people who stop eating wheat for health reasons consider it highly inflammatory. It can cause gut inflammation, joint inflammation, headaches, and more...my son eats gf/cf because we find that it improves his health issues and his autism symptoms.

Now all that being said :) I very rarely eat bread replacements...(even before sleeve, especially, I might say, since I am still on full liquids) but my son does. But I have found myself staring at the paleo breads, unable to purchase due to the large price vs. the small size. If you try it, or find one that is especially good, I would like to know!!! :)[/quote']

Dang celiac! Once you figure it out and stop eating gluten your body starts absorbing from your food again. I read somewhere that most people who found out they had celiac and went gluten free gained an average of 30 pounds! I know I gained some when I had to go gluten free.

Jamie

My husband lost almost 40 pounds by just giving up wheat. (I lost 7.) I buy almond flour at Whole Foods and make him "biscuits" containing cheese' date=' garlic, onion powder, and Old Bay season. They're really good, but in no way are they like a real biscuits made with gluten-laden flour. These have more of a cornbread texture. They are excellent with coffee in the morning AND ARE CARB-FREE! Read the book Wheat Belly.[/quote']

I own it!!! I tried wheat belly for six months with very little weight loss. But I am all about carb free now!

Hmmm...I was overweight when I found out I had celiac, tho not as overweight as I am now, and strangely, severely malnourished, because my hair was falling out by the fist full, I was bruising easily, was crazy tired. I had no traceable Iron level...then for two years, I ate, REALLY well! No processed foods at all, and no wheat. I lost weight and didn't abuse my body. But then I began to...IDK...if backslide is the right word or not, but I literally began to see that so much junk food was gluten free, so I'd have a coke here or grab a tostada there...

When I say I haven't been taking care of myself, it's bc my beloved and I have literally been trying to keep another human alive. :) our little son who will be 7 this month suffers from several chronic illnesses. One of which gives us the pleasure of living in hospitals and ER's...

Another issue he has, unBELIEVABLY, is food aversions! He spent one year, 3 x a week in intensive food therapy, at four years old, one was even group therapy, believe it or not, re-learning how to eat! So our entire night time meal time for four years has revolved around teaching him to eat a decent plate of food...and then I would gobble down some junk at 9:00pm after I had scraped together some highly specific food for his lunch the next day, mixed up all his supplements, etc...my life was far too out of balance...and my little boy is finally healthy enough where I feel like I can do something for me. I have a long history with my weight...I didn't mean to imply otherwise either...I went on my first diet at age 10, and visit a wls for the first time 6 years ago, though I didn't quite meet the requirements.

Many, many people think "gluten free" means good for you...but that was kind of my point...a person should be eating more whole foods, with fewer junk or processed ingredients...

Btw, I'm pretty new...I didn't mean to jump on to anyone's thread or post! This is ALLLL very interesting and helpful to me!

We definitely have to stay within our surgeons food parameters. I was just thinking that paleo bread- since it's not made with white or wheat flour, would be a good substitute for us. I also found some flax wraps at Walmart. In going to check them out today!

We definitely have to stay within our surgeons food parameters. I was just thinking that paleo bread- since it's not made with white or wheat flour' date=' would be a good substitute for us. I also found some flax wraps at Walmart. In going to check them out today![/quote']

Are the flax wraps gluten free? I haven't heard of those?

Not sure if the flax wraps at gluten free or not. I wild think they are since try should be made with only flax. I will check today and let you know! I found them in the deli section below the deli meat....