Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello experts! I'm post op day 3 and having trouble with liquids going down. My throat feels tight like there's a pill stuck in there. Of course have not swallowed anything solid. My sleeve cramps when I drink liquids and I feel slightly nauseated. Is this normal?

At 3 days post op all sorts of discomforts make themselves known. All of these are mentioned in posts here frequently. As always, your docs are experts we are just far separated observers.

Water drinking was very difficult for me for the first 2 weeks. I still feel like things stick in my throat at a year and a half out. I don't know what that is. When I get to a doc I will have him/her look at it.

On the positive side I have lost oodles of fat, am as healthy as a race horse, and get pinched by my wife. :D

Try taken smaller sips and a lots of them. It's important not to get dehydrated. If your not able to call your doctor.

Hello Thinner, I am post op day 6. I am on Clear Liquids. I, too , had that sensation of pain, Fluid getting stuck, and cramping when I sipped on fluids. It is normal. Just take small sips, take time between sips, and take deep breathe in and out if it feels like fluid is stuck and won't move.

Hello experts! I'm post op day 3 and having trouble with liquids going down. My throat feels tight like there's a pill stuck in there. Of course have not swallowed anything solid. My sleeve cramps when I drink liquids and I feel slightly nauseated. Is this normal?

If your liquids are ice cold, you might find it easier to swallow them warm, or even room temperature. It may lessen the nausea, too. Also, some people have a problem with plain Water at first. Adding some flavorings like Mio or Crystal Light may help reduce the surface tension and help it go down more smoothly. I also found tea was soothing, if you are permitted to have it.

Hang in there. It really does get easier! I'm a month out and drinking and eating much more normally (albeit in massively smaller amounts :-D )

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using VST

I'm 11 days out and experienced the same discomfort with drinking. The easiest to get down was powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Protein drink. Warm and soothing. It gets easier. hang in there.

KimberlyU sleeved 7/24/13

Remember your doc knows best....

Drinking for me was very hard in the beginning. I needed my liquids room temp for several weeks. Plain Water is harder. Try flavoring the Water. I've read on here that it helps the water molecules separate.... weird but it helps.

Tiny sips! and I mean small. For the first several days I had many measuring cups lined up on the counter and I would fill with barely an oz. and sip 1 every 10 minutes. VERY time consuming, but this is all there is at this point....

I'm about to start my 3rd month and my stomach STILL cramps if I drink too fast or I shock it with a big gulp and it is super cold. It does get better a little bit every day. :)

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I read a lot and searched this website before the surgery and never came across the "choking feeling". Glad to hear it's normal but will mention it to my MD on Tuesday. I'll also try the Unjury Protein chicken broth. I've already tried adding sugar free flavorings to the Water, still makes me nauseous. I plan on adding SF popsicles to the menu too! Thanks again!

I'm having the same problem. Sleeved on July 29th and today was the first day I felt kind of good. Still nauseous throughout the day and also have some frothing. It's a real struggle to get enough fluids in. Hang in there.......it will get better, or so I hear! :)

Sent from my iPad using VST

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I read a lot and searched this website before the surgery and never came across the "choking feeling". Glad to hear it's normal but will mention it to my MD on Tuesday. I'll also try the unjury Protein chicken broth. I've already tried adding sugar free flavorings to the water' date=' still makes me nauseous. I plan on adding SF popsicles to the menu too! Thanks again![/quote']

sugar free Popsicles have been my savior!

Thanks M&M! On day 5 now and I've had good days and bad..know exactly what you mean. I've had 3 episodes of the mouth watering frothing? thing. Horrible. I hate throwing up more than anything! So far I've been able to suppress the nausea without vomiting. I'm going to the store first thing in the morning for SF popsicles! That is if I don't have to take pain meds during the night!

Thanks M&M! On day 5 now and I've had good days and bad..know exactly what you mean. I've had 3 episodes of the mouth watering frothing? thing. Horrible. I hate throwing up more than anything! So far I've been able to suppress the nausea without vomiting. I'm going to the store first thing in the morning for SF popsicles! That is if I don't have to take pain meds during the night!

It actually feels much better for me when the froth comes out.

I have been able to avoid throwing up if I eat slow and not too much.

A notable exception was when I was pretty new into solid foods and went to a Chinese restaurant. I ordered Szechuan chicken and ended up in the bathroom bringing it back up. I blamed it on the spiciness but months later discovered that rice is really hard to take for me, still is.

I had the choking feeling, too. It might be related to the anesthesia. I have laryngitis too (day5). I found warm drinks easier than cold, and zero calorie Vitamin Water or G2 mixed half and half with water to work best. Every day gets better.