Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Controversial - The evaluation of before and after. Healthier by definition, but does everyone who is VSG'd really 'look' better?

Okay, I don't know whether this topic has been covered before. If it has, my sincere apologies. However, there is something I have found on my explorations of all things 'sleeve', that has somewhat resonated with me. And not always in a good way.

If you're a bit like me, you've devoured everything available on the big ol' t'internet about the wondrous vertical sleeve gastrectomy. From doctors, to insurance, location, cost, life impact, health implications, surgery competence, surgery complications, long-term outlook, short-term discomforts, scale victories, non-scale victories, psychological wellbeing, psychological hurdles, physiological impediments, familial responsibilities, the Quest for Protein, the quest for Fluid, Protein Bars, protein shakes; which brand is the best, which brand is the worst.

The areas for consideration in this matter are endless and, if you're like me, you keep stumbling across extra information which every so often makes you say 'oh no, not another thing to consider'..

Getting to the point, I don't think there is a person amongst us that hasn't trawled the endless YouTube videos and the photos on this website of the dramatic transformations people have achieved. It is almost a voyeuristic pleasure which provides instant gratification and codification as to why you're taking this road. You see people and think 'wow, that could be me'.

Whilst clearly, dramatic weight loss will have significantly improved people's health and general wellbeing; reducing or eliminating comorbidities and making their prognosis much better than when they were significantly overweight. There is something that just won't leave me.

Have any of you seen photos and videos (and please don't quote specifics) where you've thought either a) you looked better when you were heavier or B) your weight loss has gone too far, stop, you're looking ill.

I don't want to be one of those people that everyone silently thinks 'you looked better before'. However, one only ever knows whether this is the case until you get there and or generally, after the event in question.

I guess, fundamentally, I'm questioning whether, in line with some medical publications, some of us are pre-programmed to be portly and we look 'better' portly as a consequence?

I know I shouldn't be concerned about this, because health comes first, right? However, when I see people with thinning hair/ no hair, degraded teeth, grey complexions, sunken cheeks, sunken eyes, I sometimes question whether this is the right thing to do, or are people, behind my back (and knowing some of the people I know), to my face, going to be thinking 'crikey, she looks awful'...

I have seen, particularly with some photos and videos over a lengthy period of time, people achieve a 'sweet spot' for looking 'well'. However and more often than not, they don't appear to stay at this. Is there a middle ground between meaty and malnourished? Can it realistically be reached and maintained?

What are your thoughts, people? Would be good to hear them :) x

Well written and it will be interesting to see if you stir up the pot for meaningful conversation. I am scheduled for surgery in 2 wks and am excited and nervous. I have several friends that are a fews years out and they look great. I can't wait to see what comments or criticisms you get. Much more interesting reading than what to bring to the hospital !

Fine you posted twice... All answer twice.

Oh, I must say first mind the forum rules,

Double posting is a no no :)

Well my first thought on that is remembering a girl a couple of months ago, that came out and said she thought most people here looked better on their "before" pictures...

Yeah, she's not here anymore! :P

But really? Yes, if we lose a bunch of weight AND pretty fast as with this surgery, there may be a "sunken" look and thinning hair. But the hair will come back and some skin will shrink back over time.

The teeth? I suppose if they were jacked up before they will still be jacked up! :P

This surgery does not turn us into super models.

Well except for me. I went to Mexico and paid an extra thousand for that package :P

Well written and it will be interesting to see if you stir up the pot for meaningful conversation. I am scheduled for surgery in 2 wks and am excited and nervous. I have several friends that are a fews years out and they look great. I can't wait to see what comments or criticisms you get. Much more interesting reading than what to bring to the hospital !

Thank you. I'm all up for a bit of meaningful conversation! I'm looking forward to comments and hope people aren't critical of it. It's just an observation of 'some', not all, people who have undergone the procedure.

Glad you found it interesting reading, though. I have lots of these types of thoughts bouncing around my head and they don't seem to be covered. Maybe the feedback will generate some more observations - who knows! :)

Some people choose a higher goal weight because they want a curvier or more muscled look.

And most people look a little jagged for a few moths after the rapid weight loss. I did. My hair was still thin (it's since grown back and looks thicker than ever) and my face was more sunken.

I have yet to see the person who looked better with more than 100 lbs of extra weight weighing them down.

Lynda

Fine you posted twice... All answer twice.

Oh, I must say first mind the forum rules,

Double posting is a no no :)

Well my first thought on that is remembering a girl a couple of months ago, that came out and said she thought most people here looked better on their "before" pictures...

Yeah, she's not here anymore! :P

But really? Yes, if we lose a bunch of weight AND pretty fast as with this surgery, there may be a "sunken" look and thinning hair. But the hair will come back and some skin will shrink back over time.

The teeth? I suppose if they were jacked up before they will still be jacked up! :P

This surgery does not turn us into super models.

Well except for me. I went to Mexico and paid an extra thousand for that package :P

Yeah, the double post was due to my realising I'd initially shoved the post in probably the wrong section. 'Cause it's not really a rant - more an observation. I thought, being the originator, I'd be able to delete the first one. Clearly not - unless there was something I missed? Maybe that's something an administrator and the system designer can sort out?

I can appreciate that people didn't like the comment the lady in question had made about people looking better before the surgery. I hope I've made it clear that I'm not saying all people look better before - just some. Sometimes it's a stark contrast and sometimes, it almost looks, well, wrong. I'd be interested in your view on how long the 'gaunt' stage lasts?

As for the supermodel package? Damn, if they had that available, I'd certainly be first to sign up! Maybe not the emaciated look, but certainly that 'dewy','rosey cheeked', 'the chanel drapes beautifully darrrlink' kind of look would do me nicely!

I have only received compliments on my transformation. I am by no means skinny...more like normal. I haven't had to work hard at maintaining my current weight. I have been the same weight plus or minus about 5 pounds depending on the time of the month. I did lose a little hair, which I cut, and styled differently so no one noticed. My skin looks and feels healthy, no graying. I do have a Tummy Tuck scheduled next month, and a breast lift with implants the month after that because my tummy looks like it was clawed by Freddie Kruger, and the girls look like they were popped. I just couldn't be more satisfied with this surgery. I can eat like a normal person where food isn't my constant thought. Good luck with whatever decision you make. :)

Personally I don't think I'd go to the expense, risk and effort of VSG just to look "thin", but I'm 52 so have long given up on supermodel looks. For me it was all about serious co-morbidities and reduced mobility (joint problems), so even if I'd lost my hair, turned grey and looked like I had tapeworms, it would still be in my best interests to have the surgery. And you don't have to lose weight very fast - some of those who do are eating v v low calories. I am eating about 1000 cal per day, losing consistently but slowly relative to many on this forum, and in far better health than I had been for years before the surgery. And so far I've had nothing but compliments!

Some people choose a higher goal weight because they want a curvier or more muscled look.

And most people look a little jagged for a few moths after the rapid weight loss. I did. My hair was still thin (it's since grown back and looks thicker than ever) and my face was more sunken.

I have yet to see the person who looked better with more than 100 lbs of extra weight weighing them down.

Lynda

Is it possible to 'choose' a higher goal weight and be able to maintain it? From what I've seen, this 'choice' is often taken out of their hands as people seem to struggle to get enough calories in to prevent the crash to gauntsville. Are there any tips and tricks to stop that?

As for people looking 'better' with 100lbs on them - or not, as the case may be. I do believe, in contrast to some people who have taken the weightloss too far - whether it be intentional or unintentional - some people do appear to look better in their original form. Maybe that's all subjective; beauty being in the eye of the beholder and all that.... It's good to get opinions on that aspect.

I can appreciate that people didn't like the comment the lady in question had made about people looking better before the surgery. I hope I've made it clear that I'm not saying all people look better before - just some. Sometimes it's a stark contrast and sometimes' date=' it almost looks, well, wrong. I'd be interested in your view on how long the 'gaunt' stage lasts?

As for the supermodel package? Damn, if they had that available, I'd certainly be first to sign up! Maybe not the emaciated look, but certainly that 'dewy','rosey cheeked', 'the chanel drapes beautifully darrrlink' kind of look would do me nicely![/quote']

I really think if you lose to much you will look gaunt even years out..

But the surgeons tell us to give it a year after the weight loss phase for things to sort themselves out.

I think we all have our personal comfort level, there are some here that go for the gusto and try and get as small as possible even though it might not look right to you and I, and yes I've seen those who don't want to "lose their curves" who end up on the bigger side of normal.

I think actually that's about where I'm at now,

And thinking how much more? Another 30? Would that look good? Or perhaps just another 15 or so...

Some of the people that lose astronomical amounts of weight will need plastics to look less

"mis proportioned" perhaps that is what you are referring to?

Really beauty in in the eye of the beholder.

All I have to do is go out my front door to prove that. I can get whistles and barks all in the same day.

post-43821-13813668415796_thumb.jpg

post-43821-13813668416928_thumb.jpg

I am 5'2.5" and a healthy weight for me is tops 135. At that weight, I would be a size 0 or 2 with my build and at that size, I was always sickly looking. I have an hourglass figure and big old tatas and the last time I lost weight (WWs), I got to a size 8/10 at 175. My goal is 160 and my stretch goal is 150, which is still considered overweight. Oh the fluck well.

I am very active, I do martial arts, kickboxing, I swim, kayak, paddle board, etc. I am built like the Italian side of my family, short and muscular and that's OK with me. I want my muscles to show, but more importantly, I want them to exist and they wouldn't in the 130s.

I can't wait to see where this journey takes me as I am only 11 weeks out now. (Sixty pounds down and from a snug 20W to a loose 16R or a well fitting 14R.) The goals I set are flexible because I am 41, I have had two kids since the last time I was in the 160s and I have no idea what that will look like.

I can say, I will happily take too slender over the fattest mom in the room. I can't do that ever again.

Naked, I actually looked better before.. Granted I was 360 pounds. But my fat was distributed from head to toe and I filled out all my skin. I was never uncomfortable with the appearance of my fat body.. Now 100 or so pounds in, I'm already REALLY saggy and wrinkly and I don't love it. I'm already saving for plastics in Mexico

My face looks better now. I still have a plump youthful face.. What will it look like in 100 more pounds? I don't know.. I'm hoping to keep some of the chub in the face though... and if I don't.. I'll have some work done to the face while I'm in Mexico as well!

I can get whistles and barks all in the same day.

Time to move!

I have only received compliments on my transformation. I am by no means skinny...more like normal. I haven't had to work hard at maintaining my current weight. I have been the same weight plus or minus about 5 pounds depending on the time of the month. I did lose a little hair, which I cut, and styled differently so no one noticed. My skin looks and feels healthy, no graying. I do have a Tummy Tuck scheduled next month, and a breast lift with implants the month after that because my tummy looks like it was clawed by Freddie Kruger, and the girls look like they were popped. I just couldn't be more satisfied with this surgery. I can eat like a normal person where food isn't my constant thought. Good luck with whatever decision you make. :)

I'm liking the sound of 'normal' - that's all I want to be. May I ask how you achieved and maintained that? As for the 'girls' and the belly, I'll be in exactly the same position.

As for the decision, I'm a little too far down the road now. Got 4 weeks till D-Day! Arrrgh! The above isn't a deal-breaker, as such. I just felt I'd like some information from you guys who have done it already as to how I could prevent myself from looking like I just got liberated from Belsen!

I really think if you lose to much you will look gaunt even years out..

But the surgeons tell us to give it a year after the weight loss phase for things to sort themselves out.

I think we all have our personal comfort level, there are some here that go for the gusto and try and get as small as possible even though it might not look right to you and I, and yes I've seen those who don't want to "lose their curves" who end up on the bigger side of normal.

I think actually that's about where I'm at now,

And thinking how much more? Another 30? Would that look good? Or perhaps just another 15 or so...

Some of the people that lose astronomical amounts of weight will need plastics to look less

"mis proportioned" perhaps that is what you are referring to?

Really beauty in in the eye of the beholder.

All I have to do is go out my front door to prove that. I can get whistles and barks all in the same day.

You're right on that one; one mans Water is another mans champagne. But no, the 'mis-proportioned' thing is not really what I'm talking about. It's the gaunt, drawn, malnourished look. Generally looking like walking death. Then, the question - when is enough, simply, enough?