Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know that the sleeve is the best chance I have of being a healthy adult. I've never spent a day not obese. I don't know what I look like under the weight of another small adult.

Bariatric Surgery was always terrifying to me. Bypass seemed horrible after 3 people close to me had them and had a rough time. Even years out they struggled. The band - well it's weird but I feel like if they put a foreign object in your body it should eventually come out. It just makes sense. But from my understanding that isn't what usually happens.

I want the sleeve and all the health benefits that come along with it. Yes, the before and after pics are fun to look at, but I've also been reading about people's struggles.

I am terrified that i will end up vomiting every day. I have a phobia about vomiting as it is, I really don't want to be forced to learn to just cope with it. I know that there are times when I will feel like it, and be uncomfortable, and may even overdo while learning the size of my sleeve. I can accept that. But a number of people have been saying that it's common for them to vomit every day. :-(

I'm also very scared about the blood clot thing. I have a clot in an extremity and maintenance has been brutal. Any experience good or bad out there?

I'm intimidated by the liquid diet, but I think I could do it. Anyone else out there who was wary?

Thanks for your thoughts and input! I figure there's no better place to bring this stuff!

Obviously, everyone's experiences can be different. While some may vomit, others don't . I have never...ever...vomited with my sleeve. I've followed my doctor's dietary rules which I think has helped me. Blood clots can happen. With your personal history, it will be important to do everything possible to prevent a recurrence after surgery...compression stockings, getting up early to walk. etc. Good luck with your decision.

I agree with nursepez about precautions with your clotting history...I have fortunatelly had no physical issues with my surgery decision...very little pain, a smooth healing and recovery (and this was a big deal to me because I am diabetic)...no vomiting and very little acid reflux...my glucose levels have been great post-surgery, and that was the main motivation for the surgery...my weight loss has been slow but I feel as long as I am going down that's good...my only challenges have been--and remain--emotional and psychological ones....this is a BIG lifestyle adjustment, make no mistake about that going in...for me, it has been extra difficult because of my emotional addiction to food and using food as a source of comfort and anxiety deterrent...without my "friend" food, life these past three months has been difficult and challenging....the lifestyle and behavioral changes are still a work in progress for me, but I am proud of my success so far...the sleeve is a great tool and an aid...while others have found that their hunger is greatly decreased or non-existent, I still have hunger (both real and "head" hunger)...the sleeve, though makes the hunger easier to control and limits greatly my ability to over eat even if I wanted to...as a 3-month post-op, I can tell you that I don't regret my decision...good luck as you make your decisions

The only thing I am concerned about is infection after surgery. I have a history of infections after my left total knee replacement. I had five surgeries on that knee in a year and a half time period. I know that as long as I keep the incisions clean that I shouuld be ok. Other than that I am ready for my new life. I want to be able to go walking in local park during the fall and take pictures of the leaves. I want my husband to take pictures of me without trying to hide from him and his camera. I guess this sounds weird but I know with the sleeve I can loose the weight and do all the things that I am not able to do being fat.

I can't really speak to anything other than the liquid diet issue. I have my surgery this Monday, and I'm currently over a week and a half into the liquid diet phase. YOU CAN DO IT! The first day was rough, but over the next two days it gradually got better. Now, two weeks into it, things are going fine. I notice empty stomach feelings when I'm not drinking Water. At the same time, I've dropped a lot of weight (about 12 pounds thus far) and I feel almost cleansed. I'm an emotional eater in a very high-stress job (a recipe for disaster). However, after the first three days something clicked mentally for me, and I started seeing the input (shakes, Jello, etc.) as nothing more than fuel. Good luck with your decision. After Monday, I'll try and follow up on this thread w/ my post-op feelings.

I've puked a few times. Here's why - they are lessons I learned the hard way, and by no means do you have to learn them that way!

- The first two weeks (twice) it was because I messed up and went into withdrawl because I stopped taking my antidepressants. I had a very unpleasant 30 hours until we got that stopped and me restarted. (I also had the chills/hot flash thing going)

- I was fine after that until I went back on real food at 6 weeks out, when I learned that I need to eat s-l-o-w-l-y. If I don't eat slowly, I fill up too fast and it hurts. That happened first. A few days later, I did it again, and puked. Then two days after that, and the next day, and then again. I was fine for a week and then tried a low-carb tortilla-sandwich. Without a plate. Dumb. So, now I am really good about putting my utensil down between bites and using a plate for non-utensil food. Chew a lot (makes using spices a good thing) and pause.

I'm three months out. My surgeon had us on the velcro leg things with the pumped Fluid in them at the hospital so that the blood circulates to minimize clot risks (I don't know what they're called). I followed the post-op diet plan. And I get my Fluid and Protein in and take my Vitamins and supplements. I don't regret having my sleeve. I agree with the person who said it was an adjustment, and it is. But I went out to eat with friends on the post-op liquid phase (Vietnamese restaurant, had the Soup without the added stuff. It's about the people). And I've been to a buffet (coworker's farewell lunch. Funny to watch everyone eat their week or month's worth of calories and then complain when we got back to work).

Good luck!