Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bypass instead of sleeve?

I had my pre-op apt today. My surgeon tried to talk me into having the bypass instead of getting sleeved. I e have gastric reflux, although it's not that bad. He said there is a 15% chance of the reflux being worse after surgery. It usually be relieved with medication. He also said that if I have a hiatal hernia, he will fix it and the reflux will probably be better. Has anyone had increased reflux after getting the sleeve? I want to keep my stomach, small as it will be!

Nooooo! I do not recommend the Bypass---too many absorption issues and you are not guaranteed not to have reflux with the Bypass either. I had horrible reflux before my Sleeve and I am fine now. As long as I avoid the triggers like tomatoes and such, I have no probems with it. Both my Sisters had Bypass and they lost a lot of weight fast, but so have I witht the Sleeve. They both have to have Iron infusions because they cannot absorb nutrients and Vitamins naturally. Comparing their Surgery experience with mine, SLEEVE IS THE ABSOLUTE BEST WAY TO GO! Do not ever let a Doctor talk you into doing ANYTHING you don't want to do. Just look at the thousands of happy folks on this site, and it should help you make that decision. A 15% chance of anything should not be enough to make you choose the Bypass----anybody has a 15% chance of getting reflux if they over eat, each chocolate, or eat tomatoes. Also, you could save 15% or more on car insurance............................ :) Best wishes!!!!!

Hi, I'm not sure how much research you have done on the various weight loss surgeries, but the major difference between a VSG and gastric bypass is that they surgically reduce your stomach and REMOVE it with the gastric sleeve. In the Gastric by-pass surgery they reduce the size of the stomach through staples but keep the original in place. Hence the gastric by-pass can be reversed (undone) and the sleeve can not be undone.

I would definately listen to the recommendation of your surgeon, and maybe get a second opinion from a different doctor. The type of surgery you have takes into account many different factors including how much weight do you you need to lose and what other conditions do you have that will be affected by the surgery.

Congrats on having your first visit with the surgeon, that is a big step on the journey! Make sure you have considered all the different aspects before you committ to a specific surgery. Best of luck to you!

Your surgery choice is a very personal one. I chose the sleeve because:

1. I was concerned about absorbtion (I'm generally low Iron and didn't want to get even lower)

2. I wanted whatever they cut taken out

3. I love that there is reduced hunger hormone (though I still get hungry)

4. I have cancer in my family big time and wanted to be able to try drugs before surgery if God forbid I ever got cancer

I'm a huge researcher so this decision took 2 years for me.

I will say this...I had horrible heart burn pre-op. I love spicy foods, breads, and certain fruits/veggies and although I knew they were my trigger, I still ate them. Thus daily heart burn.

Post-op I have to take a PPI for 6 months and then my Dr will decide (with my help) if I need to continue. The thing is, I would have had heart burn with or without the sleeve. So, my choice was to keep the heart burn.

I had reflux and a hernia before my sleeve. It was horrible causing me to throw up a lot. I am ten week post op and I still have reflux but it is not as bad. In fact, as long as I don't forget to take my PPI I have no symptoms at all. If I do forget the reflux causes a gnawing and burning sensation. One of the reasons I went ahead with my sleeve was because it can be converted later to bypass if the reflux is unmanageable. I'm hoping I'll be able to come off the ppi in a few months and everything will be fine. But for now at least, it is very manageable.

I choose the sleeve and I glad I did!

First too many people seem to have absorption problems.

I actually wanted to loose slightly slower than I would with the gastric bypass for the sake of hopefully less loose skin.

Follow up- my Surgeon said that I would need a lot more follow up with the gastric bypass.

I just loved the sleeve procedure over the bypass one.

You shave to decide for yourself.

Thanks everyone. I just wanted to know if anyone was experiencing the problem with the sleeve. I have definitely decided to go with the sleeve, just having a little case of cold feet. My surgery is on Aug 13.

I had very bad reflux PRIOR to being sleeved.. but when I took all wheat out of my diet during the months leading up to surgery, my reflux went away.. Since being sleeved I took one month of acid reducer right after surgery which is something he recommends for ALL patients and then a few weeks ago I felt some acid returning although very mild.. so I did a 14 day course and it's fine now. My doctor said I don't have to be on the medication all the time.. just to take a 14 day course whenever I feel the acid returning. So I'd say I have SLIGHTLY more acid reflux now than before surgery but WAY WAY WAY less than when I was eating wheat which apparently was the cause of my problem.