Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Here's a tough day for you

Add ex husband"s wedding reception and 12 hours of travel to get there, to day 10 of liquid pre-op. Surround yourself with cake, Cookies, peanuts, M&Ms, fruit pies and pretzels. Watch everyone around you tuck in. Eat nothing. Go home starving.

Ugh. Fortunately we found a Soup place near our hotel and ate some veg soup and Tomato basil soup that filled us up, but I just got yet another glimpse of what life after surgery will be. I will be surrounded by tempting food, and I will have to not eat any of that junk unless I want to jeopardize both my weight loss and my health.

No one said it would be easy, right?

I'm curious what tough situations others faced during pre and post op and how they got through them? I had to give myself a stern talking to.

I was sleeved a couple weeks before Thanksgiving. Boy, the holidays were rough! I just tried to stay focused on why I was doing all of this!

I'll be honest. I have had a few mouthfuls of "junk" food. The world didn't come to an end and I didn't totally mess up my weight loss. The food addicts among us, who have tried to diet and restrict our way to a healthy body weight, are constantly challenged by the food around us. I gave in to some cravings and found out that the amount of food I can consume is significantly reduced post surgery. Now one or two mouthfuls of that tantalizing food and I am full or easily able to walk away from it.

My toughest situation was a birthday party at week 5, I ate some potato chips and felt totally guilty. Yes that was the downside of eating junk, I felt like I was squandering my opportunity for healthy living. After a lot of thought about how I was feeling, I realized that moderation is the name of the game. A bite or two isn't going to lead me down the binge path that I would have gone down pre-surgery. For me post surgery, I have to work hard at eating enough Protein and getting in enough Water, so there just isn't room for the junk anymore.

I suspect you will be surprised at how much easier it is post surgery to eat the right foods and not be tempted by the wrong ones.

Good luck in your surgery and congratulations for getting through a tough situation. It is hard pre surgery to sit and watch people eat all that crap that "sounds" so good, but you weathered that storm really well and made great decisions for yourself!

Catherine your post was very helpful. I appreciated your perspective on moderation and I agree, maybe after surgery I'll be satisfied with a bite of cake rather than a slice of cake.

It was hard for me with family get-togethers the first few weeks after surgery, but now that I can eat whatever I want, I do have a bite or two of something that might be "bad" and if I have a craving, I don't deprive myself. However, most days I am focused on getting in my Protein and fluids and it does not leave me much room for junk food or cravings. Before surgery, my food cravings ruled every single day of my life. Now, it's like once a week, and not the things I used to crave, which was mostly sugary things. Usually it is either fruit or something salty, and I eat fruit and I have been eating pistachios which work really well for a salty craving. I have found a way to control my cravings rather than the cravings controlling me.

Eating out ! Ughhh . But so worth it!!

Add ex husband"s wedding reception and 12 hours of travel to get there' date=' to day 10 of liquid pre-op. Surround yourself with cake, Cookies, peanuts, M&Ms, fruit pies and pretzels. Watch everyone around you tuck in. Eat nothing. Go home starving.

Ugh. Fortunately we found a Soup place near our hotel and ate some veg soup and Tomato basil soup that filled us up, but I just got yet another glimpse of what life after surgery will be. I will be surrounded by tempting food, and I will have to not eat any of that junk unless I want to jeopardize both my weight loss and my health.

I'm curious what tough situations others faced during pre and post op and how they got through them? I had to give myself a stern talking to.[/quote']

Sorry girl that SUCKS! But awesome of you to do so well!!! Pat yourself on the back!

One time probably in the first month or two we would be out to buy groceries, which is next to all the restaurants & I could smell all the food I knew I couldn't have & I actually started crying. (Crazy how hard my break up w/food was)

Add ex husband"s wedding reception and 12 hours of travel to get there' date=' to day 10 of liquid pre-op. Surround yourself with cake, Cookies, peanuts, M&Ms, fruit pies and pretzels. Watch everyone around you tuck in. Eat nothing. Go home starving.

I'm curious what tough situations others faced during pre and post op and how they got through them? I had to give myself a stern talking to.[/quote']

My pre op starts on the 10th. I was so excited that I got scheduled that I didn't pay attention to the dates that I would be dieting... 8/15 is my best friends birthday (lots of liquor) ... 8/17 is my cousins baby shower (food & yummy cake)... 8/18 is my brothers birthday (liquor, food & delicious cake from my favorite bakery)... Those 10 days of my pre op diet are going to be horrible...

Sent from my ADR6330VW using VST

Oh and my pre op diet started on Halloween. I know it doesn't sound like a big deal but I have 2 small children who got lots of candy!!!! Haha! Man am I glad those days are over!

Catherine your post was very helpful. I appreciated your perspective on moderation and I agree, maybe after surgery I'll be satisfied with a bite of cake rather than a slice of cake.

Slice of cake? Am I the only one here who's eaten a whole Sara Lee cheesecake right out of the freezer? Gamergirl..... looking forward to meeting you in Mexico later this week. We can exchange war stories.... :rolleyes:

My pre op starts on the 10th. I was so excited that I got scheduled that I didn't pay attention to the dates that I would be dieting... 8/15 is my best friends birthday (lots of liquor) ... 8/17 is my cousins baby shower (food & yummy cake)... 8/18 is my brothers birthday (liquor' date=' food & delicious cake from my favorite bakery)... Those 10 days of my pre op diet are going to be horrible...

Sent from my ADR6330VW using VST[/quote']

Ugh that sounds like a lot to deal with. We drank shakes and Soup before and after the party to keep us happy. I feel for you!

Oh and my pre op diet started on Halloween. I know it doesn't sound like a big deal but I have 2 small children who got lots of candy!!!! Haha! Man am I glad those days are over!

My kids are well-trained. They know as soon as they walk in, to hand over all the Reese's Peanut Butter cups :). That's the only candy I cared about, but that one, I do love.

So I'm assuming post-op, Halloween doesn't bother you as much?

Slice of cake? Am I the only one here who's eaten a whole Sara Lee cheesecake right out of the freezer? Gamergirl..... looking forward to meeting you in Mexico later this week. We can exchange war stories.... :rolleyes:

My husband wants you to know that you are absolutely NOT the only one :) He has trouble with binge eating sometimes. For me, it's not bingeing, it's wanting variety and that sometimes leads me to poor choices. And sugar. That sugar has always gotten me.

War story exchange is officially on!

My kids are well-trained. They know as soon as they walk in' date=' to hand over all the Reese's Peanut Butter cups :). That's the only candy I cared about, but that one, I do love.

So I'm assuming post-op, Halloween doesn't bother you as much?[/quote']

When I "can't" have something, I obsess about it! So yes, this Halloween will be much because I'll be able to eat some chocolate! Moderation works for me. For others it's "trigger foods." You just gotta find what works for you!