Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coffee! Is there a medical reason why they say no regular coffee?

The acid in coffee can irritate your stomach lining which is still healing for at least 6 weeks and can trigger acid reflux as well. All drs have their own rules on it. I'm on Decaf right now.

My nut told me that the data was not clear and not only could I drink coffee but regular coffee. Well, knowing that cafeine is a diuretic i was on Decaf until i was sure i could get well over 64oz of Fluid in without trouble, then i went to half caf. i did well for 11 days but the last two as soon as I have a half cup i feel full and very fatigued. I am presuming it is trigering reflux.

so i would say that you could try decaf and see how you do but be careful with the cafeine at first. also the temperature can be hard, i drank it a bit cooler than i preferred

Thanks!! I'm on omeprazole 20mg qday for acid. I may just start w a sip from my husbands. Not go crazy with my own cup and see how it makes me feel. I love this website/app

The reason is caffeine. Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day. It is true for someone who has a normal stomach.

Because your stomach is so small and your body has now changes how you process and absorb things, I was told to avoid it for the first 9-12 months. The worst thing you can do on with a sleeve is dehydrate. It can be very dangerous.

Each doc seems to have their own rules about this, and the disclaimer is that you should follow your doc's rules. My doc's rules are 4 months. The dietician has sited a study that indicates people who drink coffee in the morning are hungrier in the afternoon (sorry, don't have any references and can't verify if that's true). However, I waited 6 weeks, then started drinking regular coffee. Not a lot, just a cup in the morning. It absolutely interferes with Vitamin (particularly Calcium and iron) absorption, so you have to work around any supplements you have been prescribed.

Yes..every doctor is different..I was given permission at 6 weeks and I have absolutely no issues with a very strong cup of food coffee with 2 T of half and half and 1t sugar every morning...it's one of my favorite things and about 3 times a week I treat myself to a very good and strong Cappuccino made with whole milk.....no issues at all

I am not a coffee drinker but missed my diet soda caffeine habit, so I was on the hunt for caffeine products and found crystal light puts out a caffeine energy releasing B Vitamins. I have it in one flavor only so far, Peach Mango. I add it to other flavor drinks and ice tea. It is strong caffeine to me, so I have to limit it. I am 5 weeks post op and just started drinking it. I am dehydrated from it as well and have to drink a lot of Water as well. Just a thought for those who like caffeine, like me and need that "get up and go" back. I needed to get out of my sleepy/ weak all the time phase and this helped.

Hi, I was an avid coffee addict! After the surgery, I resumed back to my coffee Im sure it wasnt the smartest thing to do but, from 6-7 cups a day, now I only have one caffinated coffee a day ,the rest is Decaf and I weaned myself off in the hospital lol while I was morphined out.

My NUT told me that I could have no more than 16 oz of regular coffee a day as long as I was getting in all of my Water.< /p>

I don't know if this is relevant or helpful, but here goes: I love coffee. Alot. Like I wrote a poem about it. But I'm down to one cup in the morning in preparation for my sleeve. I was wondering about this when I stumbled on this thread. It's difficult for me to eat Breakfast, but I always have my cup of coffee. Well, I'm also doing the paleo way of eating to break carbohydrate addiction. Recently came across a recipe and have been trying it. Found it is satisfying, cures the one hour post coffee hunger issue I was having. So, thought it may be helpful to a few brave souls who wanted to try it. BTW, it is yummy and takes the place of cream in my coffee. It was listed on Mark's Daily Apple and is called Primal Egg Coffee. For people doing paleo, it would take the place of Bulletproof Coffee. I am really surprised how much I like it and it keeps me satisfied for a while. I'm using large cup and three yolks and the pinch of salt. Article below with recipes.

Would love to know if anyone tries it and their impressions.

http://www.marksdail.../#axzz2aCDGoHBv

I was allowed regular coffee from the get go.. but was told to enjoy it in moderation.

I'm pre op for a few more days. I can have only Decaf. It tastes nothing like coffee.. It doesn't even smell remotely the same when i open the container. :(