Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dealing with dinner on vacation

I was sleeved April 29th, I'm down over 60 pounds from pre-surgical weight of 280 pounds and couldn't feel better. My wife and I are vacationing in Miami. Haven't really dined out much in the last 3 months, but on vacation I have little choice. Needless to say, I get some curious looks from waiters at fine restaurants who look askance at someone ordering only a small appetizer or salad instead of a giant steak. I want my wife to still enjoy the experience of dining out, but it gets a bit tiresome to have snobby waiters think either I didn't enjoy the food they served because I only had about 3 ounces of it, or that I'm simply a cheap guy from NJ unwilling to shell out the dough for a meal that I could only consume a very small portion of. I've had a significant increase in self confidence lately, but I must admit that these experiences do bother me. I'm curious if anyone has shared these experiences.

Well, I don't know how open you are about your surgery, but what I do is when I ordered, I asked them for a take out container and explained that I can't eat much. When my meal came out I packed up all but what I knew I'd eat and took the rest home.

WOW, Congrats on your success! DIning out should be as fun for you as it was before surgery. I think we might be more sensitive to "what folks think" when they may not be thinking anything at all. I was a waitress for 15 years all through high school/ college and then some and I don't ever recall having an opinion on how much someone ate unless they had a complaint. It's vacation, go enjoy! If someone forms an uneducated opinion on what you are or are not eating, ignore them. I can understand being bothered if this was happening at your favorite restaurant and you see the servers all the time, but try not to let random people ruin your good time. You are working too hard to let ignorance trouble you. Enjoy your vacation and continued success to you!!

I am only 7 weeks post op and have been out to eat with my children and husband and I only order appetizers (and I get a to go container)! You have worked hard to get where you are and do not let anyone ruin it for you! Ask for that take home tray! One meal/appetizer can be 3 meals for you!

Enjoy your victory!

I was sleeved going on 7 weeks ago. I get the same looks. Sometimes it is best to get the to-go container early. At fancy places that wrap up your food for you, you could just smile when they give you looks.

It takes a while for us to look like our appetites so don't stress over what they think. Truth be told, I prefer to get the looks that I didn't finish as opposed to the ones where I did finish a huge amount of food.< /p>

We just order a main dish and I may order a side salad or something to go with and I take a small portion of my husbands Protein. It works well for us, We both enjoy a great meal and the price is much better these days!

Thank you so much for your wonderful advice. I've pretty much been doing as you all have suggested. I guess the absolutely .w way of living is going to ake

Its going take some time to get used to. It's been a long road to get to this point and I should enjoy it. It's just so very different then my previous behavior. I'm also a little obsessed with everything I put in my mouth now. It's sometimes difficult to appreciate the weight I've lost, when I'm more concerned about the weight loss that is still to come.

I agree with everyone else...although being a Floridian and having been to the nice upscale places in Miami I do have to say that regardless what you order there is a chance you will get the looks and things from the wait staff. Enjoy your vacation :)

PS my husband and I try to take advantage of "early bird" specials or late lunches and split things as we both have been sleeved. We have become fans of tapas and appetizers and have told wait staff before oh we're are just here for some appetizers, we each order one and share and take the rest home as leftovers (but I know this is easier because its just the two of us)

Curiously enough I lost 2.2 pounds on my 5 day Miami vacation. Thankfully, everything was so expensive that It was easy to simply drink my Premier Protein as meal substitutes, and bottled Water at the bars. dinner was difficult, but we ditched the hotel restaurants after a couple of days and hit some reasonable restaurants where we split the appetizers.< /p>

Hope you are enjoying yourself in my hometown. I'm in Miami beach and I know exactly what you mean. I get the looks too. Just enjoy yourself and have fun. Btw nothing wrong with being conservative with your hard earned money.

I went on my vacation as well acouple weeks ago. And yes I got that stare cause I only orderd water! But I don't let it get to me. My hubby n I share a plate so he always asks me what I want to eat. I tried ordering my own plate a senior plate but that didn't work it was just way to much. Don't worry about those looks !!

I don't really cook (not that I can't cook -- I just find it tedious). So I eat out all the time, and travel for business. Never, not once, has any waiter/waitress looked at me twice when I ordered only an appetizer, or finished only 1/3 of my meal. Maybe it's because I am an overweight, "mature" woman, and the wouldn't dream of insulting me (seriously, things are different for women than men). Plus, I think so many people have such unique dietary needs these days, they have gotten used to it. Heck, I have a Weight Watchers friend who carries laminated drink cards to give to bartenders! I'm not that bad, yet.

Finally, I put myself through college waiting tables. So my philosophy is "always overtip for every occasion." I hope that helps the next person who comes in with an "odd" order.